Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
NatWest - Still Claiming 0845 is BT Local Rate (Read 38,878 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

NatWest - Still Claiming 0845 is BT Local Rate
Aug 20th, 2005 at 12:43pm

I quote from a letter I have today received from Kelly Godwin of NatWest's central ServiceLine/Customer Relations Unit in response to my complaint that staff on their telephone banking Actionline were inaccurately claiming that 0845 calls were charged at BT local rate when I complained about the use of the 0845 number.

"I am sorry if you have been provided with conflicting information regarding the cost of calls that you make to the Bank.  I can confirm that if you are calling our 0845 numbers from a BT landline, the call will be charged at local rate.  However, if you are calling from another source the charge may differ and you would have to contact your your provider to confirm the actual cost of the call"

"It appears that the staff you have spoken to were not aware of these charges and I am sorry that this was the case. I have not been able to trace which members of staff you have spoken to you but I will pass the details of your complaint onto the Managers of our Telephony Centres asking them to provide training in this area".

So I complained that staff on the NatWest Actionline were claiming 0845 was BT Local Rate erroneously, she then assures me that 0845 is "local rate" and tells me the staff I spoke to "were not aware of these charges" and need training!  Incredible.

So do NatWest's Customer Relations staff in Borehamwood all have only one brain cell or what exactly. 

Time to take this up with Surrey Trading Standards quoting the Leicester Trading Standards article and Part III of the Consumer Protection Act 1987.  I suspect the latest ASA CAP guidance will not be relevant in this case.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: NatWest - Still Claiming 0845 is BT Local Rate
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 1:32pm

I know ASA/CAP's remit doesn't cover a website and you will have to go through trading standards like you said but still quote the relevant URL's from ASA/CAP and OfCOM, they are:-

http://www.cap.org.uk/cap/advice_online/ad_alerts/Advertising+0845+and+087+numbe...

http://www.asa.org.uk/cap/news_events/news/2005/hanging+on+the+telephone+on+and+...

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/mofaq/telecoms/0870faq/#content

Quoting the above 3 URL's should hopefully convince trading standards beyond a doubt even though ASA/CAP guidelines wouldn't apply.

I had some problems convincing Britannia Club but having rung them and threatened to take it further because no one had the decency to respond to my email, I was transferred to the PA of the CEO.

I then quoted the above URL's and since the PA has confirmed I'm right in what I said and has said the website will be changed next week.

This was discussed more here.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 1:39pm

I have also just received a letter from the FSA saying they are still investigating my complaint about their 0845 numbers for customers and businesses and the use of the words "local call rates" to describe them on their website.  They apologise for not responding in 30 days and say they need more time to look into this!

Just how long can it take them to investigate a simple matter!!  In the interim they continue to show "local call rates" on their website.

I copied my email to the Chief Executive but received an auto responder indicating he was on leave for 2 months.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 1:42pm

Quote:
I copied my email to the Chief Executive but received an auto responder indicating he was on leave for 2 months.

Two months leave? And presumably paid, pension contributions and so on. Please excuse the geen for envy.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 1:49pm

Quote:
It's all right for some!

I'd just email them back and quote the 3 URL's above - all three of them basically state that local rate and national rate discriptions can no longer be used and you can no longer remain silent on the call costs either.

Don't mention that ASA/CAP guidelines don't apply though.

I believe it would be difficult for them to say 0845 is still local rate after quoting those 3 URL's unless the person is still in the dark ages and is one of these people that cannot except change.

Our main problem is that because for years 0845 and 0870 was local and national rate, it is very difficult for people to believe that this is no longer true - which to a certain degree I can accept that and without evidence to the contrary no one is simply going to take our word for it.

I have just emailed TV licensing over their use of 0870 and have quoted the three URL's I mentioned above so hopefully when they get round to looking into they will (reluctantly) agree to change their website accordingly otherwise I will take it further with their trading standards.
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2005 at 1:50pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 2:05pm

But this is all a huge waste of time on all our various parts and on the whole we do not achieve very much.  Even if some of us may enjoy the struggle. Wink

We will only have achieved something if Ofcom regulates to comprehensivley stop this abuse and can impose big fines if these companies continue to mislead people over the calling cost.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 2:20pm

Quote:
We will only have achieved something if Ofcom regulates to comprehensivley stop this abuse and can impose big fines if these companies continue to mislead people over the calling cost.
I totally agree but we both know this isn't going to happen.

Remember though that most people are genuinely unaware that calls to 0845/0870 are misleading and calls for most people cost the same whether geograhical local or geographical national number.  Due to this lack of awareness and OfCOM reluctant do actually 'educate' these people then nothing is likely to change simply because most are unaware.

I plan on doing a generic email that will mention the misleading descriptions and remaining silent on call costs, etc is no longer allowed and pointing out the relevant websites for them to clarify this information and I'll send this to companies/gov depts that use these numbers.  Obviously to save my time, I'm going to concentrate on government depts more, followed by companies using 0871, then 0870, etc.

My main concern are gov funded depts that rip us off with 0870 numbers though.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 2:23pm

Quote:
My main concern are gov funded depts that rip us off with 0870 numbers though.

But they are doing it on purpose and not by accident or mistake.

Number 10 has an 0870 phone number for heaven's sake.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 2:31pm

Quote:
But they are doing it on purpose and not by accident or mistake.

Number 10 has an 0870 phone number for heaven's sake.

The excuse that I was given for it, Is that the calls are routed a call centre which answers for all the gov departments, and then routes back or gives you another number (in the case of ODPM). Oh and the usual call switch attacking excuse

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 3:14pm

Quote:
The excuse that I was given for it, Is that the calls are routed a call centre which answers for all the gov departments, and then routes back or gives you another number (in the case of ODPM). Oh and the usual call switch attacking excuse

They can do all this with an 020 GN by routing the call onto a voip switch and then doing whatever they want with it.

They are lying, their real motivations are revenue share, free switchboard or free phone line rental due to the revenue share generated by the calls for the underlying phone povider.  You will notice that John Lews group do not use 0870 numbers.

IP Logged

PeDaSp

Reply #10 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 3:53pm

Voip eh?

Sounds fun NGM  Grin

Just pulling ya leg.... Grin Grin

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 4:09pm

Over at www.192.com by entering John Lewis for the company and nationwide for the search area I found that www.johnlewis.com is unfortunately using an 0845 number that also states Local Call Rate but none of the department stores do this.

This needs pursuing although in various of their policies www.johnlewis.com have already shown that they do not believe in the same business policies as the main John Lewis department store group.  I fear that someone from the Dixons group may be running that particular part of their operation.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 4:11pm

Quote:
Sounds fun NGM  Grin

Just pulling ya leg.... Grin Grin

I never said voip wasn't going to happen but just not at the speed you suggest.

There will only be a big incentive for people to make the move if they are allowed to do away with paying PSTN line rental to BT.  At the moment Ofcom appear to have no plans to require this.

IP Logged

multiplesystem

Reply #13 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 6:16pm

I have read this thread with deep interest. NatWest should know if their 0845 numbers are local rate or otherwise. They will have negotiated a contract. Sometimes it can be cheaper for people not on a fixed tariff to use 0845. That said while I was studying I wanted a years off from my work, so I took a temporary job as a telephonist. Although it was a long time ago a company can have one geographic number which will link to as many other numbers you have , even all over the country. It's simple the company asks for a number with say 2000 lines which ust have linking ability. This leaves the company with one geographic number. If a thousand customers ring at once the call gets put through to one of the 2000 on rental. If all lines are used up an electronic message can ask customers to hold until a line becomes free, or they just receive the engagerd tone, or suggesting the customer rings back to save cost.  See simple. All 0845 and 0870 could be abolished.

IP Logged

speedy

Dartford
Reply #14 - Aug 5th, 2012 at 2:06am

Can anyone in uptodate Phone Tech confirm what multiplesystems has posted about previous Tech - if they could do that then surely Phone Tech hasn't gone into reverse - or is it just greedy Companies that have found a better way of fleecing their Customers instead of honestly putting up their Product Prices for All to see.

Also is there any Gov. ePetions to make the Gov. action all of the EU Directiv 19 - I think - not just the Card Section that is to be Actioned. - if there is could someone post a link and hopefully All on this Site and Friends will Sign

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge