Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exeter University (Accommodation) (Read 13,725 times)
Victor Delta

Why is the devil always
in the detail?

Poole, UK
Exeter University (Accommodation)
Oct 2nd, 2004 at 5:18pm

Does anyone please know how to access the 0870 146 xxxx numbers used for student rooms at Exeter University (I know the 'real' 4 digit extension number)? Presumably there is a 01392 xx code?

I see several other universities are on the list but not Exeter.

Interestingly, the students are encouraged to sign up for the telephone service without being told the actual call rates - incoming and outgoing (not cheap!) - the blurb just says "at a fraction of the cost of mobile calls"!!

Thanks.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Exeter University (Accommodation)
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2004 at 5:36pm

We've been discussing this sort of thing with other universities, there's not always an answer. According to what has been posted in another thread Exeter uses VoIP, which is a way of using the internet for telephone calls. See here.

If the number is an internal university extension, then you can access it by prefixing (01392) 26 if the extension begins 2, 3, or 4. See here. However, it could be a different system, as is mentioned on the link to that other thread.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2004 at 5:58pm

As I said, there may not be an alternative, but no harm in trying, just don't go phoning people in the middle of the night.  Grin

Also, remember 141 withholds your number, not that I am encouraging calling people and hanging up.  Wink

Anyway, from the lists available on Ofcom's site here, 0870 146 is operated by Energis. If we look at the operators in the Exeter code (01392), we find Energis have only one prefix, and that is 01392 89.

IP Logged

Victor Delta

Why is the devil always
in the detail?

Poole, UK
Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2004 at 11:12pm

Very many thanks. I'll give it a try and let you know how i get on. The extn does start with 4 so i'm optimistic.

IP Logged

Victor Delta

Why is the devil always
in the detail?

Poole, UK
Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 2:29pm

Dave,

Sadly no luck! The 89 (Energis code) number gives NU tone and 26 (Univ DDI code) puts me through to someone else entirely (academic staff, I think). This makes me think that the 4xxx 'extn' number i have is actually from a totally separate numbering range from the university's - even though students can access internal numbers direct.

So looks as if we've drawn a blank unless you have any other ideas?

Regards.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 3:23pm

I know it's not forced to be an Energis geo no, but you could try 890, 891, 892 etc with the last three digits of the extension.

IP Logged

Victor Delta

Why is the devil always
in the detail?

Poole, UK
Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 3:30pm

Dave,

Thanks - I'll give it a try.

By the way, the operator is Keycom who seem to provide the communications at many universities in the UK, judging by http://www.keycom.co.uk/domenu.asp?check=348

Regards.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 3:49pm

Quote:
Sadly no luck! The 89 (Energis code) number gives NU tone and 26 (Univ DDI code) puts me through to someone else entirely (academic staff, I think). This makes me think that the 4xxx 'extn' number i have is actually from a totally separate numbering range from the university's - even though students can access internal numbers direct.

As I said in the thread that Dave linked to above, please look at this page:

http://www.swern.net.uk/usergroup/meetings/minutes140503.html

Quote:
Exeter University has been approached by Keycom PLC to run voice over IP telephony services for student residences via JANET.

That means the 0870 number does not map to a standard geographical number. Instead, it converts the calls into internet traffic and routes them that way. Please see the other thread for discussion!

IP Logged

Victor Delta

Why is the devil always
in the detail?

Poole, UK
Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 2:27pm

See my post on the Cheapest Call Providers DG which solves this problem by a different route - using 3U (who, unbelievably, charge 2p/1p/1p for 0870 calls - the same as geographic national/local calls)

http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?board=cheapcalls;action=displa...

Thanks to those who tried to help with 'technical' solutions.

Regards.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 9:48pm

Quote:
Anyway, from the lists available on Ofcom's site here, 0870 146 is operated by Energis.

Just checked the latest list and it says that 0870 146 is allocated to Torch Communications, dated 10/2004. I wonder if this prefix (all 100,000 numbers) has been transferred to Torch.  Undecided

IP Logged

philco

Exeter University Halls of Residence
Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 7:38pm

Can anybody help with finding normal Exeter (01392) numbers to get around the 0870 149 **** numbers provided by Keycom to make incoming calls to rooms in the student's accommodation at Exeter University?
I've tried all the combinations around the university extensions and switchboard numbers I can think of. I also know that to dial other room extensions, the four digit number must be prefixed with 77.
HELP Undecided

Philco

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Exeter University Halls of Residence
Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 8:25pm

philco wrote on Oct 8th, 2007 at 7:38pm:
Can anybody help with finding normal Exeter (01392) numbers to get around the 0870 149 **** numbers provided by Keycom to make incoming calls to rooms in the student's accommodation at Exeter University?

I've joined your post to the existing thread.

0870 146 and 0870 149 are allocated to Affiniti Integrated Solutions Limited, date 10/2004. KC now longer trade as Torch, they now use the Affiniti name.

Within the exeter code (01392) there is one Affiniti prefix: 01392 33 Change date: 06/1998

Try that with the last four digits of the internal extension number and report back what you find.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2007 at 8:25pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

philco

Reply #12 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 9:15pm

No, 33 dosn't work either. I've tried prefixing the 4 digit extension with 89, 55, 56, 90, 30, 31, also removed the first digit of the extension no. (5) and replacing with 269, but ring a different phone system I think, but no reply.  Cry

Philco

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 9:18pm

philco wrote on Oct 8th, 2007 at 9:15pm:
No, 33 dosn't work either. I've tried prefixing the 4 digit extension with 89, 55, 56, 90, 30, 31, also removed the first digit of the extension no. (5) and replacing with 269, but ring a different phone system I think, but no reply.  Cry

Try 33 followed by 0-9 followed by the last three digits of the extension. So try the 9 other numbers you didn't try before. So I'm suggesting 330123, 331123, 332123 through to 339123

See here:

http://www.keycom.co.uk/index.php?p=news&i=5

Keycom has connections with Catalyst Management which also runs Dog n Bone Zone and Unitel.  Undecided
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2007 at 9:27pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge