Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Argos using 0845 numbers for their stores (Read 14,942 times)
AP

Argos using 0845 numbers for their stores
Mar 12th, 2004 at 2:04pm

I just noticed on my Argos till receipt that they have introduced 0845 numbers for their stores (i.e. following Tesco's footsteps)! Please dig out your old receipts, phone books, etc. and post all the geographic numbers that you can find for their stores on this site.

IP Logged

student100

Re: Argos using 0845 numbers for their stores
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 9:23pm

I worked at Argos at Christmas when they were launching it, here's some explaination:

When you call a geographic number for your local store, it will just ring the phones in the store and depending on how busy the store staff are it can take ages to be answered. If you call when the store is closed, your call is never answered. The new 0845 numbers ring the store, but if the call is not answered within a certain amount of time (about 20 seconds or so) it is answered by an automated service which can provide information about store opening times, stock availablilty and suchlike, which are the most common reasons for people calling the store. This means that the customer can often find out what they want without the long wait, and staff in store are able to spend more time serving customers face-to-face.

Because this automated service is provided at a single location for all stores nationwide, the 0845 numbers (0845 1657 XXX where XXX is the 3-digit store code for your local store, as listed in the back of the catalogue) are used, and the call is routed to your local store initially.

Calling the old (geographic) number for your store will still get you through, but it may be a long wait. If you want to know simple stuff like stock information or opening times, either look on the website (free!), call Ring and Reserve (unfortunately an 0870 number  - 0870 600 1010), or the 0845 number for your local store.

IP Logged

AP

Re: Argos using 0845 numbers for their stores
Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2004 at 7:47pm

Thanks for the explanation. Under the circumstances, perhaps Argos should offer the customers the choice as to which number to ring, i.e. listing the 0845 number alongside with the normal geographical number with the 0845 number marked as 'Information Line'.

However, the bottomline for me is if my call does not get answered, I will not get charged! I can always call back later when the store is less busy or when it re-opens in the morning.

That's why I always see BT's 1571 service as another moneyspinner for them and I will avoid calling anyone that I know who has subscribed to this service.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge