Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BT Text - 0845 602 1111 (Read 119,199 times)
Tanllan
Supreme Member

BT Text - 0845 602 1111
Jul 11th, 2005 at 7:54pm

Just missed a call with the Caller Display of 0845 602 1111, which I gather (thanks to google) is BT Text.
Any suggestions for a proper telephone number? Particularly since the 'phone only rang four times and I am not inclined to add to BT's profits by calling a revenue sharing number outside the Call Plan. 
Grrrr   Angry

~ Edited by Dave: Thread title amended
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2007 at 12:47pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Re: BT Text
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2005 at 7:56pm

Just answered it this time, apparently from "generator" quoting a mobile number and suggesting a drink.
Now if I can just include these in the TPS...

IP Logged

Cruz

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2005 at 8:09pm

Quote:
Just answered it this time, apparently from "generator" quoting a mobile number and suggesting a drink.
Now if I can just include these in the TPS...

Are you sure it wasn't an 070 (personal) number?

47.5p/minute IIRC.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2005 at 8:11pm

Ah, that's an excellent thought. Thank you Cruz.
I think that it was 078 1353 etc, but deleted it.
I think that the three or four rings is shabby (again), encouraging people to return the profitable call.  Angry

IP Logged

busybee

08456021111 ??
Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2006 at 11:30am

My answer machine took a message which turned out to be from 08456021111. I think the start was lost, but it said

"...press 4. To listen to message please hold, or to save it just hang up".

Does anyone know who this is ?  I don't wish to waste money by calling back.
Thanks. Smiley

Edited:
by Dave:
Thread joined onto existing one for BT Text.
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2006 at 9:15pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: 08456021111 ??
Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2006 at 5:41pm

This appears to be "BT Text". Presumably, someone has sent a text message to your non-text enabled landline phone. If you didn't have an answering machine, it would probably have simply called you later. But now, as far as they are concerned, you've already heard the message.

See http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail/consumer/bttext/faq_trouble.html

Note that they say they only keep messages for 24 hours!

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Re: BT Text - 0845 602 1111
Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 5:50pm

Have just found this old thread.  This number has been driving me insane today, as it did last Wednesday when I was, in fact, expecting an urgent phone call about the health of a family member so jumped every time the phone rang.  It does seem to be some kind of text to landline but I know of no one who would use this to contact me, I'm not prepared to press any buttons, it leaves nothing on the answerphone.   Today, I must have had a dozen calls since about 10.30am, I've tried ignoring it, then pressing the answer button & cutting off after a few seconds but nothing seems to stop it.  Has anyone had recent experience of this or any ideas how to stop it?   We are on TPS but not sure if this would be covered and anyway they never seem to take any notice of any complaints, just log them!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 5:57pm

Barbara wrote on Feb 19th, 2014 at 5:50pm:
Have just found this old thread.  This number has been driving me insane today, as it did last Wednesday when I was, in fact, expecting an urgent phone call about the health of a family member so jumped every time the phone rang.  It does seem to be some kind of text to landline but I know of no one who would use this to contact me, I'm not prepared to press any buttons, it leaves nothing on the answerphone.   Today, I must have had a dozen calls since about 10.30am, I've tried ignoring it, then pressing the answer button & cutting off after a few seconds but nothing seems to stop it.  Has anyone had recent experience of this or any ideas how to stop it?   We are on TPS but not sure if this would be covered and anyway they never seem to take any notice of any complaints, just log them!

Barbara, this has nothing to do with marketing and therefore nothing to do with TPS. It (or an equivalent service from another provider) is the usual delivery method when SMS texts are sent to landline numbers because landline phones generally don't have the capability to show them.

Go to the alternative numbers database and enter the 0845 number you will see the 0800 number that you need to call in order to opt out.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2014 at 6:02pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 6:36pm

Dave, thank you so much for this, our sanity will be restored!   I find it so annoying that we have to opt out rather than opt in to this.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 7:42pm

Barbara wrote on Feb 19th, 2014 at 6:36pm:
Dave, thank you so much for this, our sanity will be restored!   I find it so annoying that we have to opt out rather than opt in to this.

Reception of SMS texts are activated by default on landlines, just as they are on mobiles. This means that the assumption by calling/sending telephone users is that these numbers can receive text messages, or to put it another way the assumption is "true".

If the default position were to be "false", i.e. landline numbers don't usually receive SMS texts, then telephone users would not generally send such messages to these numbers. The only time they would be when they had the prior knowledge that they can be received on a particular number.

How do you think this would work? Do you think people who could receive SMS text messages would, when giving out their number, also indicate that they can receive SMS texts? Do you think that the person hearing this would remember?

In practice there would be no texts sent to landlines. This would be not because it isn't technically possible but because some prefer not to receive such messages by voice.

The point is that you have chosen not to receive any SMS messages sent to your landline number. So if someone sends you one you will not receive it. That is your right as is not being notified (and so not take) of voice calls by turning off the bell on your phone or unplugging it.

Voice telephony has always worked on the basis that the default position is to accept communications rather than not. It is every user's responsibility to decide how to deal with communications received and SMS is no different.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2014 at 7:46pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge