Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 35
Send Topic Print
NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investigation (Read 508,531 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Re: NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investiga
Reply #315 - May 10th, 2006 at 11:36pm

Q461 Mr Amess: This may be a bit difficult for you to answer, but how much money do you think would have to be generated from the National Health Service to reduce the charges to a reasonable level?

Mr Lewis: It is extremely difficult to answer that question because it depends entirely on the mix of services provided and what some of the additional costs are of providing those services. We do not see a single solution to this, but we do see, if you like, there being a menu of actions which, brought together, should enable incoming call charges to be reduced to a level that callers would consider to be acceptable and would remove a number of other irritations, one of which is the need at present for the warning at the beginning of all incoming calls about the cost of those calls.

Q462 Mr Amess: Finally, and you have sort of already answered this, Ofcom and the criticisms - what is it your intention to do about these criticisms?

Mr Lewis: Well, I am not usually someone who would make complimentary remarks about a regulator, but they did actually, I think, do a quite thorough job to a reasonably tight timetable. Their conclusions were that the level of incoming call charges, which was the specific bit they were investigating, were a cause for concern, they were a source of complaints and they looked out of line with other telecoms charges. However, they did conclude, first of all, that the level of those charges was heavily influenced by the specifications that had been set by the NHS for these systems back in 2000: the highly sophisticated technology; the requirement to put one of these units at every bed even though it is uneconomic; and the requirement to provide a range of free services for the NHS, such as free radio, free information services and so on. They concluded, as a consequence of that and combined with the cap that has been established on charges to patients, that the providers had very little choice other than to effectively charge these higher prices to incoming callers, and they described the charges as being the result of a "complex web of government policy and agreements". In addition to the published report ----

Q463 Mr Amess: What does that mean, do you think?

Mr Lewis: I think you would probably have to ask Ofcom, but I think it relates back to the policy when the programme was set up and the way it was funded. They have published a report and they have also written to the Secretary of State with a series of recommendations, we understand, although we have not seen that letter as yet, but hope to do so as part of the work of the review party.

Q464 Dr Taylor: Is it fair to say, Mr Lewis, because you have said that your system will have a computer by the bedside which would show an electronic patient record, that the relatives who are paying 49p a minute for their incoming calls are in some way subsidising the national programme for IT?

Mr Lewis: Not at present because at present the usage of the system----

Q465 Dr Taylor: But it is there.

Mr Lewis: Well, indeed. The usage of the system for that purpose is at present very limited. There is just one hospital, Chelsea & Westminster, which is using our system to access an electronic clinical record at the bedside, and very successfully so, so effectively -----

Q466 Dr Taylor: Does your warning message say, "Thank you very much for using this service. It is going to cost you 49p, but you are helping the NHS towards its aim of having readily available electronic patient records at the bedside"?

Mr Lewis: In principle, that is a correct conclusion. We do not include that in the message for fear of lengthening it further.

Q467 Jim Dowd: Because that would cost them a further 49p! We are actually talking about the kind of charges for incoming calls that people were desperate to pay ten or 15 years ago in the early days of mobile technology, but I will put that to one side. I am sure it is difficult to estimate, but what proportion of inpatients take advantage of your services?

Mr Lewis: A very high proportion do. Approximately 70% of the terminals we have at the bedside at any one time have a patient registered to them and about half of those on any one day will be paying for a service or people will be paying to call them. The other half will be making use of the free services, radio, television, if they are children or have special needs, or may not be using the service on that particular day, so it does have a very high level of usage.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #316 - May 10th, 2006 at 11:37pm

Q468 Charlotte Atkins: You have said here that the installation costs are something up to £2,000. Given the changes in technology, is there the opportunity for these costs to come down? It seems to me that you have got something a bit like a white elephant in many situations because the full range of services which are provided in these units are not being exploited, so people are having to pay the cost of more than actually ringing Australia to access a friend or relative in hospital, and I speak with experience here, having ended up with a charge of £60 when a member of my family used your service. It seems to me that they are paying for something which is not being fully exploited.

Mr Lewis: I think the answer to that is that they are not white elephants by any means. In fact our technology is regarded outside the UK as being leading edge, and hospitals in the United States, for example, are bearing the full capital costs of the magnitude you have just described in order to install these systems because they see a very wide range of benefits from them. In a US hospital there is already television and telephone there and US hospitals are paying up to £2,000 a bed in order to provide devices which will provide the full range of clinical services and other services that I have been talking about.

Q469 Charlotte Atkins: But it is a white elephant if it is not being used. That is the point. It is not a white elephant in the sense that it is being used in other countries, but it is a white elephant if it is not being appropriately used and the full system is not being exploited, which means in fact, as Richard was saying, that patients' friends and relatives, by and large, because they are ringing the hospital and they are the ones that are being charged excessively, are subsidising a system which is not being appropriately used in the NHS.

Mr Lewis: In that sense, I would agree with you. I think the solution to that is to ensure that they are fully used. This investment is now largely a sunk investment; it has been made and the systems are there. The challenge, I think, is to make sure that the full potential of it is used to improve patient care, to generate the sort of cost savings we were talking about, to reduce medical errors and so on, for which there is considerable potential.

Q470 Charlotte Atkins: But the contract was agreed when, in 2000?

Mr Lewis: The contracts were specified in 2000, yes.

Q471 Charlotte Atkins: So presumably technology has now moved on and you presumably have stage two, stage three of your systems which presumably, given that the cost of computers and other technology is coming down, are not as expensive as they were back in 2000?

Mr Lewis: The actual capital cost is very similar. Technology has moved on and it has become slightly more sophisticated but the core costs, which are in designing the physical hardware that goes in at the bedside and all the cabling, have not changed significantly in that period.

Q472 Charlotte Atkins: And as to the people who are being exploited effectively when they ring in, are you doing any sort of analysis about what sort of people are facing these huge charges, because it seems to me that the people who are more likely to use the system are the ones who cannot visit the relative, who are ringing in as a substitute for a visit, and therefore my instinct tells me that the people who face these high charges are more likely to be the people who are less likely to be able to afford them?

Mr Lewis: The evidence we have is anecdotal but it is that the people who use the service to call in do cover a very wide range of both friends and relatives. They certainly do include those who are on lower incomes and those who may not be able to make the trip into hospital and for whom it is an important means of contact, and I think that is a further compelling reason for the need to change the structure of the provision of these services to enable a reduction in those charges.

Q473 Charlotte Atkins: And also, of course, because the charges come on your normal phone bill, it is quite likely that complaints will not be made direct to yourselves because it is just a nasty shock when your quarterly bill comes through the door.

Mr Lewis: That is true and that is one of the reasons why the NHS has insisted and we have wanted to make sure there is a warning at the beginning of every call so that there is less risk of there being an unpleasant shock when callers receive their bill, but it is an inherent problem with this type of service.

Q474 Charlotte Atkins: We all know that if you are ringing someone whom you are very worried about the likelihood of you listening very closely to that particular warning message is not going to be great.

Mr Lewis: We do have five to six million people who call using Patientline systems each year and the proportion of those who get an unpleasant shock when they receive their telephone bill and are unaware of what they are being charged is quite small.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #317 - May 10th, 2006 at 11:38pm

Q475 Charlotte Atkins: Thank you. Gill, did you want to come in?

Dame Gill Morgan: Quite a few of those complaints that come do come to individual organisations and it is one of the strands in hospitals, complaints about the charges when the bill comes in. There are a number of reasons why the NHS is not getting the functionality. The first is that when Patientline started it was an orphan project. It was an idea about improving accessibility for patients and linking into things but I do not think at the time, in the way that it was introduced into the NHS, anyone had begun to grasp these other functionalities. Where the NHS is now is that it is not quite ready to get these functionalities because they really do depend, as Richard has pointed out, on having some of the functionality from Connecting for Health universally available. That is why projects like Chelsea and Westminster, which are showing how you can begin to link these things together, saving staff time, giving patients much more information about themselves, giving much more information about individual conditions, are the model for the future. I think things will change but you have to have something to link that system in and that is not yet available uniformly across every hospital in the country.

Q476 Dr Taylor: Can they look up on Google all about their illness while they are lying in bed?

Mr Lewis: They can indeed. We provide internet access.

Q477 Dr Taylor: Internet access as well?

Dame Gill Morgan: Yes.

Mr Lewis: A number of hospitals have also asked us to provide access to a variety of different information sources that they have quality control over, which may indeed include NHS Direct online.

[...]

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #318 - May 11th, 2006 at 12:49am

idb wrote on May 10th, 2006 at 11:36pm:
Our belief is that, if there is an open mind in approaching those issues, there are a number of ways in which those charges can be reduced and we very much hope that it will operate to a very tight timetable as it is not something we would like to see drift on for any great length of time and we would like it to work to conclusions within a few months so that we can actually implement some changes quickly.

Good heavens it seems that now that matters are being looked at by the Department of Health that someone may actually be calling for an urgent reduction in the call prices by Patientline.

After all we know that the Masters of Procrastination at Ofcom never ask for an urgent change or reform to any type of commercial scamming and instead find ever more ingenious ways to allow the scamming to drag on year after year. Angry Shocked

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #319 - May 11th, 2006 at 1:32am

Quote:
After all we know that the Masters of Procrastination at Ofcom never ask for an urgent change or reform to any type of commercial scamming and instead find ever more ingenious ways to allow the scamming to drag on year after year. Angry Shocked
... otherwise known as consultation, after consultation, after consultation, after consultation, after consultation.

Why was it so hard for Ofcom not to think this way as well?  Instead just not wanting to do anything about it in case they hurt these companies - forgetting the fact that consumers are also getting hurt.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #320 - May 11th, 2006 at 1:39am

bbb_uk wrote on May 11th, 2006 at 1:32am:
otherwise known as consultation, after consultation, after consultation, after consultation, after consultation.

And if a consultation does not produce the result that is required by Ofcom then it consults again and again and again until only the paid professional consultee respondents at the Telcos providing the responses that Ofcom actually want to listen to still have the energy left to respond.

That is clearly the approach being employed on this latest review of numbering to which inevitably only a handful of consumers will now respond compared to the original Ofcom consultation on 0845/0870. Wink Angry Cry
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2006 at 1:48am by N/A »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #321 - May 11th, 2006 at 1:46am

Quote:
And if a consultation does not produce the result that is required by Ofcom then it consults again and again and again until only the paid professional consultee respondents at the Telcos providing the responses that Ofcom actually want to listen to still have the energy left to respond.

Smiley
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2006 at 1:47am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #322 - May 12th, 2006 at 2:42pm

Quote:
Quote:
Our belief is that, if there is an open mind in approaching those issues, there are a number of ways in which those charges can be reduced and we very much hope that it will operate to a very tight timetable as it is not something we would like to see drift on for any great length of time and we would like it to work to conclusions within a few months so that we can actually implement some changes quickly.

Good heavens it seems that now that matters are being looked at by the Department of Health that someone may actually be calling for an urgent reduction in the call prices by Patientline.

Well, yes, but the someone quoted is Derek Lewis, at that time the Chairman of Patientline. I doubt that he was advocating reducing charges without the shortfall being made up by the hospital Trusts or the DoH in some form - to quote from his preceding sentence

Quote:
we would very much like to see change and we hope, therefore, that this review group ... will look at the way these services are funded in other countries which do not involve high levels of charges for incoming calls, will consider ways of encouraging other uses to the system

the 'other users' being the hospitals.

The DoH's working party is due to make its first recommendations next month. Given the ongoing and lengthy delays in IT projects such as Electronic Patient Records, I don't forsee rapid progress in the additional income streams becoming available and therefore I await with interest any proposals the working party may make that will enable charges to be reduced.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #323 - May 12th, 2006 at 2:50pm

pw4 wrote on May 12th, 2006 at 2:42pm:
The DoH's working party is due to make its first recommendations next month. Given the ongoing and lengthy delays in IT projects such as Electronic Patient Records, I don't forsee rapid progress in the additional income streams becoming available and therefore I await with interest any proposals the working party may make that will enable charges to be reduced.

Looks like the DoH should foot the bill then as it is their incompetence that has allowed the deal with Patientline to be signed and the electronic patients record program to to be delayed.

Alternatively why not let Patientline go bust and allow another company running a more efficient less staff intensive maintenance process without the Patientline debt overhead to pick up the pieces.

The important thing is that relatives of sick patients must be able to call them at normal prices when other phone call methods such as mobile phones are barred in hospitals.  As to how this is done it is up to the DoH to figure out given that they foot the bill.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #324 - May 13th, 2006 at 12:52am

SICKENING PHONE BILL

Source: http://www.southtynesidetoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=1111&ArticleID=1...

<<
A COUPLE today blasted a controversial hospital telephone service after they racked up more than £600 worth of calls.
Anna and Norman Roberts are calling on health bosses to install landline bedside phones for patients after using Patientline, an independent pay-as-you-go service.
Mrs Roberts, 34, of Peddars Way, South Shields, was rushed into South Tyneside District Hospital to have pseudocysts on her pancreas removed in October.
After a five-hour emergency operation, she was moved to a bed where she had access to the bedside unit, which gives patients a personal TV, radio, phone and the Internet.
Mrs Roberts, who spent almost seven weeks in hospital over five months, said the facility is a lifeline to the outside world.
But the couple had no idea how expensive it would be.
Calls to the service, which was introduced last year, are charged at 49p-a-minute at peak times and 39p-a-minute off-peak.
An automated instruction message of up to four minutes is charged at the same rate.
One 45-minute call from 34-year-old Mr Roberts to his wife's bedside was itemised at £165.
He called his wife up to five time a day to check on her because he suffers from partial agoraphobia and was unable to visit her.
They have now been cut off by BT and are paying the £633 debt off in instalments.
Mr Roberts: "It's ridiculous. We were aware of the rates to a certain extent, but I really do think that they charge too much."

[...]

A spokesman for the company said: "There is a message at the beginning of each call confirming the call costs for users.
"The focus on balancing pricing levels that will satisfy patients and still enable us to provide high levels of customer service does mean that friends and families are asked to pay more for their incoming calls.
"The cost of operating in a hospital environment is high.
>>

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Ofcom 'enquiry' closed.
Reply #325 - May 15th, 2006 at 5:17pm

See HERE.

A spokesman from Patientline said:

Quote:
"We have long wanted to reduce the cost of incoming charges, which are currently being reviewed by the review group set up by Department of Health."

Yeah, right.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #326 - May 16th, 2006 at 11:53am

BBC TV News (North East) had items about Patientline charges in their main bulletins yesterday, and quoted the 39p/49p per min charges.
More oxygen for the publicity campaign!
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2006 at 11:54am by firestop »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #327 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 5:52pm

Isn't this a suprise; Patientline has gone running to Ofcom saying that it can't [won't or even doesn't want to?] meet the deadline of 14 June! Originally it was to be 13 December 2005. An Amendment was made to the Notification on 19 October 2005 giving Patientline until 14 June 2006 for the systems in 25 hospitals ("a small minority of Patientline's total population of bedside terminals") to be given individual 11-digit direct dialling in 070 numbers.

Quote:
(D) Subsequent to the Amendment Patientline made additional representations to Ofcom concerning the viability of implementing a compliant technical solution at these specified hospitals by 14 June 2006;
(E) In the light of these additional representations, Ofcom is extending the deadline for compliance at this small minority of hospitals. ...

How many are the "small minority of hospitals"? Is this the same definition used in the original Notification; i.e. 25 hospitals?

Quote:
... Patientline is now required to implement a compliant technical solution at these hospitals, ensuring that callers are able to reach patients by using a direct dial 11-digit Personal Number, when Patientline next upgrades its network functionality in respect of these hospitals and the necessary investment becomes viable

But if Patientline are allowed to keep the existing non-DDI systems in place; those systems will contravene the rules as set out in the National Telephone Numbering Plan. Why did it opt to install them in the first place, as opposed to phone systems with DDI? Was it to save money and/or make more money from incoming calls? If so, then Patientline may be less inclined to upgrade its "network functionality in respect of these hospitals", or at least leave them until after it's upgraded others, purely to get every last drop of 'revenue' from its "small minority" of systems. Angry

Edited:
Sorry, forgot to post the link (FWIW) to the Ofcom page here.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2006 at 6:20pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #328 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 6:05pm

Dave wrote on Jun 12th, 2006 at 5:52pm:
... Patientline is now required to implement a compliant technical solution at these hospitals, ensuring that callers are able to reach patients by using a direct dial 11-digit Personal Number, when Patientline next upgrades its network functionality in respect of these hospitals and the necessary investment becomes viable(

This is just disgracefully bad.  It proves that no commitment given by Ofcom can be trusted and that they will just perpetually delay postpone and put off controlling any telecoms scams on the grounds that it might damage the profitability of the relevant Telcos.  I hope that a large number of MPs will be tabling parliamentary questions demanding an inquiry into Ofcom's ability to fulfill its primary duty under the Communications Act 2003.

What's the betting that in January 2008 Ofcom will announce that for technical reasons 0870 numbers can't be charged at the geographic national rate as originally promised that year and that the telcos can instead implement this change when they next find it cost effective to make the relevant systems change! Wink Shocked Angry Angry Angry

What is the point in people responding to Ofcom consultations when Ofcom ignores all the views of the  general public and just says "poor little telcos. Now we mustn't do anything at all that would damage their valuable business plans and profitability."  Let us hope that Stephen Carter's replacement is someone who put the public interest first rather than an unprincipled commercial charlatan like Ofcom's present CEO.  If I was Ofcom Communications Director Matt Peacock I would strongly be thinking of tendering my resignation by now because all the promises I had previously given to the public on Patientline and 0870 had not been honoured by my CEO.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2006 at 6:11pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #329 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 6:41pm

It appears that people cannot afford to become sick, despite the fact that the NHS is supposed to be free at the point of use.

Quote:
Hospitals cash in on ATM charges

Sixty-three hospitals are making money whenever patients use on-site cash machines.

The hospitals have automated teller machines (ATM) and take a proportion of the sum charged for each withdrawal, the most expensive of which is £1.95.

[...]

The highest-charging hospital cashpoint is at the Good Hope Hospital at Sutton Coldfield, West Mids, which levies £1.95 per withdrawal. Many others have machines that charge £1.85 or £1.75 for patients to draw money.

Most of the cashpoints, including the one with the £1.95 fee, are operated by Cardpoint, which made profits last year of £3.6 million.

A spokesman for the company said: "Customers don't have to use the machines. It is convenient for people and an easy and efficient way to withdraw their cash."

Cardpoint has 5,700 machines across the country, and would make a small profit on the hospital machines even if customers were not charged, because of money that is paid by other banks when a transaction is carried out.

More here

How can it be "efficient" when you (the customer) has to pay the bank to get your money back that you have lent it for safe keeping? These people really are only motivated by gr££d!

If we weren't in Rip-of Britain, banks would operate cash machines in hospitals, subsidised by their other operations. Indeed, I thought that Barclays showed complete contempt for its customers when it introduced withdrawal charges.

But companies like Cardpoint (who are currently boasting a new 0845 number, also for contacting them from overseas and as a replacement for their 0870 number! Roll Eyes Lips Sealed) and Patientline seem to spring up, imposing their charges where competition is no-existant.  Angry
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2006 at 6:53pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 35
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge