Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Manchester Met Universty (old manc poly) (Read 17,451 times)
mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Manchester Met Universty (old manc poly)
Oct 26th, 2005 at 5:37pm

Just sent in my standard FOI to them, interesting to note I got a response from the solictor straight away saying she may not be able to answer the question relating to the 0870.

I also want a copy of the tenacy agreement for the MMU Students Villiage as my mate whos there is having problems with them entering his room at 2am shouting "INSPECTION" and apparently they can do it under the agreement.

----
Thank you for your request for information about telephone numbers. Your request was received today and I am dealing with it under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

I believe at this time that it will be likely that parts of your request can not be answered. I am currently considering an exemption on questions 1.0 to 1.8.1 and 4.0 and will contact you shortly to advise and assist you further on this point.

My Ref:  SE/FOI/10/MMU/1

Your Ref:

Dear Sir or Madam

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT REQUEST

I am writing to make an open government request for all the information to which I am entitled under the Freedom of Information Act. In order to assist you with this request, I am outlining my query as specifically as possible.
If however this request is too wide or too unclear, I would be grateful if you could contact me as I understand that under the act, you are required to advise and assist requesters.

I wish to have the information for ALL areas of MMU, including but not limited to, Main Campus, Student Accomadation (including Manchester Students Village), other campus's.

1.      Do you use 0870 telephone numbers? (in ALL Areas of the Universty
including but not limited to, manchester students village and all campuses).
1.1.  And if so, what are the equivalent geographical numbers?
       1.1.1 And the equivalent geographical numbers for dialing from abroad?
1.2.  What revenue do you receive per minute and in total from the use of 0870 numbers?
1.3.  Are you aware of the revenue collected by your telecom provider, from your callers?
1.4.  Have you considered the revised COI1 guidelines?
1.4.1.      If so, what conclusions did you come to?
1.5.  Do you realise that all calls (local/national) cost the same regardless if calling from Glasgow or Bath??
1.6.  Are you aware of the cost implications to your callers, when using 0870 numbers, including calls from mobile phones?
1.7.  Are you also aware that callers cannot connect to 0870 numbers from overseas?
       1.7.1   Please now re-answer question 1.1.1. based on the
information gathered for question 1.7.
1.8.  How much does it cost to call an 0870 number:
1.8.1.      In the Daytime.
1.8.2.      In the Evening.
1.8.3.      At Weekends.

2.      Do you use 0845 numbers?
2.1.  And if so, what are the equivalent geographical numbers?
       2.1.1. And the equivalent geographical numbers for dialing from abroad?
2.2.  What revenue do you receive per minute and in total from the use of
0845 numbers?
2.3.  Are you aware of the revenue collected by your telecom provider, from your callers?
2.4.  Have you considered the revised COI1 guidelines?
2.4.1.      If so, what conclusions did you come to?
2.5.  Do you realise that a call to local number costs the same as a call to a national number when made from the same location for the majority of telephone subscribers?
2.6.  Do you realise that 0845 numbers now offer no cost advantage to callers, irrespective of their location, only disadvantages?
2.7.  Are you aware of the cost implications to your callers, when using
0845 numbers, including calls from mobile phones?

2.8.  Are you also aware that callers cannot connect to 0870 numbers from overseas?
       2.8.1   Please now re-answer question 2.1.1. based on the
information gathered for question 2.8.

2.9.  How much does it cost to call an 0845 number:
2.9.1.      In the Daytime.
2.9.2.      In the Evening.
2.9.3.      At Weekends.

3.      What companies operate your:
3.1.  0845 telephone numbers.
3.2.  0870 telephone numbers.
3.3.  Telephone switch equipment

4.      I would also like all the internal documents, memos; meetings;
discussions and any information relating to the tender of the 0870, 0845 numbers.

5.  I would also like a FULL blank copy of the license agreement which students have to sign in order to stay in the Manchester Student Village.
(Please mark it as a copy released under FOI)

6.  What is MMU's response to the Ofcom Consultation on the use of 0845, 0844, 0871, 0870 numbers http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/nts_pes/) and the subsquent proposed banning of revenue sharing on 0870 numbers.

IP Logged

anonuser
Ex Member

Re: Manchester Met Universty (old manc poly)
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 8:01pm

All MMU numbers are accessible via geographic numbers. 0161 247 xxxx where xxxx is the internal extension number. There certainly aren't many (if any) 0845/0870 numbers in use by MMU in any case, as is plainly obvious by a look at the long list of geographic contact numbers listed on the 'Contact Us' page of their website.

There is no such place as the 'MMU Students Villiage'. They own several halls of residence, none of which have that name. There is however a private - completely unconnected to MMU - hall called 'The Student Village' (see www.studentvillagemcr.com).

Incidentially, no contract can give staff the right to enter a property as and when they wish - consent of the tennant is needed except in an emergency. This is covered by relevant law.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 2:29pm

thanks for that annon user (if youll ever come back).
Now how to find the room extension

The room xtn does NOT tally with the 0161.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2005 at 6:50pm by mc661 »  

IP Logged

anonuser
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 11:15pm

Yes, all MMU internal extension numbers are accessible via the geographic prefix I gave you. This is fact. If you're trying to call someone at MMU, they will know their room extension number and can give it to you...

I'm guessing you're trying to call a Student Village extension number, which obviously won't work through the number I gave since, as I told you, they are not in any way connected to MMU. The Student Village does use non-geographic numbers for their student phone service and do not publish geographic numbers.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 3:18pm

Yes, all MMU internal extension numbers are accessible via the geographic prefix I gave you. This is fact. If you're trying to call someone at MMU, they will know their room extension number and can give it to you...

You seem very knowledgeable about the subject, and the telephony system at Manchester University, and very eager to point out about the Student Village not using geographic numbers.  How do you know this?  Are you connected in some way?  Wouldn't it be easier to just answer the FOI request that mc661 has sent you.

However I like to think this is a democratic site, and your justification as to why friends and family of your students should use your 0870 numbers costing 8p per minute, and which cannot always be accessed from abroad, and charged outside the mobile inclusive minutes, compared to a geographic number which can be free to some people, and included in mobile inclusive minutes is more than welcome!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

anonuser
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 9:27pm

Firstly, I am not an employee either of MMU or The Student Village.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure I've mentioned at least once that *MMU DO NOT USE NON-GEOGRAPHIC NUMBERS*.

The Student Village do, so maybe you should direct a FoIA request at them rather than wasting the time of someone at MMU where they don't even use such numbers.

I agree that 0870/0845 numbers are evil, which I why I use your site and found this forum.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #6 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 9:30pm

Quote:
Firstly, I am not an employee either of MMU or The Student Village.

You must be a student then.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 4:16pm

The reason I sent an FOI to MMU was because they are covered by the FOI.
MSV is NOT covered by the act, so it would be a waste of my time to even send it in.

IP Logged

ethank

Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 5:24pm

Quote:

This is rubbish. I lived in MMU Halls for 2 years. I was also the Student Union Halls & Accomodation Officer, it is only a few of the Halls on All Saints Campus that have 0161 DDI's.

The other halls of residences were all given 0870 numbers by the University, to protect the University from being recharged for reverse call charges. I brought this up with the Uni at the time. They said "The Student Telephone system is a business, and we are looking to make a profit from it!"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge