Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Parliamentary update (Read 499,041 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Re: Parliamentary update
Reply #150 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 11:26pm

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 20 Nov 2007 (pt 0039)

NHS: Telephone Services
Mr. Graham Stuart: To ask the Secretary of State for Health what representations he has received from patient groups on the use of 0844 revenue-sharing telephone numbers; and if he will make a statement. [162853]

Mr. Bradshaw: We do not keep records on the number of inquiries about 084 numbers we receive from patient groups. Since January 2007, we have received 100 letters on the subject of 0844 telephone numbers.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #151 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 11:27pm

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 20 Nov 2007 (pt 0036)

General Practitioners: Telephone Services
Mr. Graham Stuart: To ask the Secretary of State for Health (1) whether he plans to issue guidance to general practitioners on the use of 0844 revenue-sharing telephone numbers; and if he will make a statement; [162416]

20 Nov 2007 : Column 824W

(2) if he will make a statement on the implementation of the new GP Surgery Line telephone system; [162854]

(3) what guidance his Department has issued to primary care trusts on the use of 0844 revenue-sharing telephone numbers; when such guidance was issued; and if he will make a statement. [162855]

Mr. Bradshaw: The provision of telephone services for patients and the public is a matter for the local national health service. The Department did however issue guidance in December of last year clearly setting out that patients should not be charged more than the equivalent of a local call.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #152 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 11:33pm

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 21 Nov 2007 (pt 0015)

Police Service of Northern Ireland: Telephone Services
Lady Hermon: To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland what plans he has to introduce a geographical telephone number for the Police Service of Northern Ireland's non-emergency calls. [165135]

Paul Goggins: 0845 600 8000 is the primary number for all non-emergency services. This provides a single, contact number regardless of the caller's location. The calls are routed automatically to the most appropriate answer-point within the PSNI. This provides an effective response for non-emergency calls and there are no current plans to introduce additional geographic telephone numbers.

Lady Hermon: To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland how many people called the Police Service of Northern Ireland's non-emergency telephone number in each of the past 12 months for which figures are available; and how much revenue was generated by the use of this number over the same period. [165136]

Paul Goggins: The number of calls made to the Police Service of Northern Ireland's non-geographic telephone number for non-emergency calls, “0845 600 8000”, in each of the last 12 months is shown in the following table.

Month Number of calls to 0845 600 8000

November

December

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

21 Nov 2007 : Column 910W
September

October

21 Nov 2007 : Column 910W—continued

The PSNI contributes to the cost of calls made to this number and receives no revenue as a consequence of the use of this number.

Lady Hermon: To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland what estimate he has made of the number of people deterred from calling the Police Service of Northern Ireland’s non-emergency telephone number on account of the cost of calls. [165137]

Paul Goggins: It is important to make a distinction between emergency and non-emergency calls in order for incidents to be prioritised properly. There has been good uptake of the 0845 600 8000 non-emergency telephone number line; for example last month 16,632 members of the public used the service.

The levels of usage do not indicate that people are being deterred from making calls.

IP Logged

kk

Reply #153 - Nov 24th, 2007 at 12:04am

The statement is clear.
“Mr. Bradshaw: The provision of telephone services for patients and the public is a matter for the local national health service. The Department did however issue guidance in December of last year clearly setting out that patients should not be charged more than the equivalent of a local call.”

As the price of a “local call” (during the working day) is 3.25p/min, any number charging more than 3.25p/min would not be permitted.  The same could be said for calls at the weekends and evenings.
The charge for a 0844 number is 5p/min, this is 54% above the “local rate”, then clearly 0844 is a prohibited number.  This should now be the end of 0844 !
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2007 at 8:07am by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #154 - Nov 24th, 2007 at 3:00am

kk wrote on Nov 24th, 2007 at 12:04am:
the price of a “local call” (during the working day) is 3.25p/min

We need to be a little careful here. The price of a “local call” varies. It may be zero (if already covered by an inclusive package) or much more than 3.25p/min from a mobile.

The actual fact is that every known telephone tariff charges more for a call to a 0844 number than for a “local call”, so the point stands.

Quote:
a matter for the local national health service

When we have stopped laughing at the nonsensical concept of a
local
national
health service we need to take this more seriously.

Decisions about whether GPs can fund their services by collecting money from patients (through the revenue share on 0844 numbers), i.e. whether the NHS is “free at the point of need”, cannot vary from one PCT area to another, in what would be seen as a "postcode lottery".

PCTs are neither equipped, nor sufficiently accountable, to take political decisions of this magnitude.

Decisions about whether it is worthwhile to invest taxpayer’s money in an advanced surgery telephone system, as against other potential uses for the local budget allocation of NHS funds, must be made locally. The option to duck the difficult duty to set priorities for expenditure, by funding it from payments made by patients, should not be (is not) available.

David

IP Logged

kk

Reply #155 - Nov 25th, 2007 at 10:22am

I have found from long experience that when you complain about 087x and 084x telephone numbers, you keep your complaint simple. As we all know, the various telephone tariffs are complicated and full of exceptions, caveats and deliberate confusions. I aim to keep complaints simple for two reasons:

(1) More than one fact appears to throw the public into a fit of   “.... this is all too complicated for me ....”  

(2) Organisation who handle complains are well practised in the art of obfuscation. They will avoid answering you main complaint and concentrate on side issues.

The crux of the mischief caused by the use of 0844 by doctors surgeries (and any other users for that matter) is that telephone calls to that number are more expensive that normal 01  02   03 numbers. (I include 03 in hope). My complaint would focus on one fact: During the working day, 0844 numbers cost 53% more to call than normal geographical numbers, that is 5p/min compared to 3.25/min and quote the clear statement form the minister.

Mr. Bradshaw: The provision of telephone services for patients and the public is a matter for the local national health service. The Department did however issue guidance in December of last year clearly setting out that
patients should not be charged more than the equivalent of a local call
.”

When the recipient answers that point, come back with all the other points, such as none inclusion in “all inclusive” telephone deals - etc.
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2007 at 10:30am by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #156 - Nov 25th, 2007 at 4:49pm

kk wrote on Nov 25th, 2007 at 10:22am:
I have found from long experience that when you complain …, you keep your complaint simple.

We agree. The point I make to Mr Bradshaw and others is not about the cost, but the principle of revenue sharing. That is both simple and indefensible for NHS contractors, who may not receive remuneration from patients (at any level), no matter how it is delivered or distributed.

NHS GPs may not fund their services using money collected from patients.

Further discussion is only necessary to address side issues that may be raised in an attempt to obfuscate the matter. That is what follows.

Whilst one may pick out an illustrative example of the cost difference, a single example (BT Together Option 1 in the daytime, ignoring the call connection charge, at the rates currently being applied) does not provide me with sufficient weight for the necessary argument on a point of principle.

“Revenue sharing” in the context of delivery of NHS services is simply unacceptable, without going any further. It is perhaps inevitable (barring a few perverse exceptions) that a call where some of the revenue is shared will cost more than one where it is not. We may refer to the latter as a "local call".

The two approaches will therefore generally hit the same point, however reliance on a single current example is dangerous. I focus particularly on GPs using 0844 revenue sharing numbers to avoid a problem that some could introduce - what about NHS GPs using 0845 revenue sharing numbers (a point that is best not discussed at length)?

As stated in my previous posting, a clear position may be drawn from Mr Bradshaw’s statement. We have however seen many more GPs take up 0844 numbers since the “guidance” was issued. This action by the DH is thereby shown to have been ineffective.

In total, the written answer is far from clear as it allows many opportunities to those who may wish to deny the simple interpretation.

It refers to the “local national health service”, a far from simple concept to deal with in these times when partial devolution is used as means of perpetual buck-passing. It refers only to “guidance”, not direction. It uses a technically meaningless term - “local call”, which is not found on most current telephone tariffs.

Furthermore, the guidance was not issued to the telephone companies who levy the charges, but to PCTs and practices, who can neither control them nor be expected to be fully aware of what they are. Charges vary between the many options offered by the many providers and also change over time (e.g. "local rate" was effectively abolished in 2004). We also know that PCTs and practices are susceptible to misleading advice on such matters from those who may claim expertise in this field.

I have found from long experience that most of one’s efforts in campaigning are used in dealing with such nonesense. That is why I have to address the detail of this guidance, however I do not focus on it.

When calling their NHS GP, unlike most other service providers, callers may not incur any cost that is passed on through revenue sharing (however great or small). My focus for this particular campaign is therefore on “revenue sharing”, because it is contrary to the principle frequently repeated by Ben Bradshaw’s ministerial boss, the Secretary of State Alan Johnson: “the NHS is free at the point of need”. For those who wish to take the trouble to go into even more detail, it is a breach of the terms of clause 483 of the GMS contract.

It is this fundamental principle of the NHS that is at issue here. There are many related issues about the cost of telephone calls that are worthy of attention and need to be addressed in different ways. I hope that this case is seen as being so clear as to demand action. We may hope that such action will be helpful with other cases that are not quite so clear, nor so demanding of attention.

The wording of ministerial questions and the new EDM are starting to move away from the point of illustrative BT call charges to pick up on the underlying issue, so let us hope that we are heading for a proper resolution, insofar as this may be delivered in parliament.

A simple and enforceable direction from the Department of Health that all telephone numbers used to access NHS GP services must begin with 01, 02 or 03 would ensure compliance with the GMS contract.

The same rule could be applied, as a matter of new policy rather than compliance with an existing contract, to the rest of the NHS. Other Departments could issue similar directions to cover all public services that do not advertise a fee for services delivered by telephone.

David

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #157 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 4:38pm

Source: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200708/cmhansrd/cm071127/text/71127w0...

<<
Police Service of Northern Ireland: Telephone Services

Mrs. Iris Robinson: To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland how many calls have been received by the Police Service of Northern Ireland’s 0845 600 8000 line; how many (a) arrests and (b) convictions have resulted from information received on this line; and how much it has cost to operate this service in the last 12-month period for which figures are available. [166726]

Paul Goggins: The number of calls made to the Police Service of Northern Ireland’s telephone number for non-emergency calls, 0845 600 8000, in each of the last 12 months is set out in the following table.

27 Nov 2007 : Column 290W
     Number of calls to 0845 600 8000

November 13,128
December 11,913

January 12,874
February 12,292
March 13,319
April 13,370
May 14,635
June 16,396
July 16,210
August 16,800
September 16,064
October 16,632

As figures are not held on the outcome of the calls, I am not able to supply information on the number of arrests and convictions that have resulted from the use of the line.

The total cost to the PSNI of operating their non-emergency number, 0845 600 8000, from November 2006 to October 2007 was £2,043.

This line allows people to access the PSNI quickly in non-emergency situations and helps to reduce the demand placed by inappropriate calls to ‘999’.
>>

What about the cost to citizens ringing the number above the price of a "local call"?
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2007 at 5:42pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #158 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 1:21am

Order Book Part 1

Questions for Oral or Written Answer
beginning on Thursday 29 November 2007
(the 'Questions Book')

Part 1: Written Questions for Answer on
Thursday 29 November 2007

Mr Andrew Dismore (Hendon): To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, for what reasons the helpline number 0845 302 1444 for enquiring about child benefit database concerns is a premium rate line; if he will ensure that people are able to call the helpline at local tariff rates; and if he will make a statement.
(169726)

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #159 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 1:22am

House of Commons Hansard Debates for 26 Nov 2007 (pt 0007)

Rob Marris: I thank my right hon. Friend for giving way with his usual smiling generosity. He referred a few moments ago to what might alliteratively be described as poor professional performance under this regulatory regime. Would that cover the surprising approach being taken by some GP practices, including some in my own constituency, and I believe by NHS Direct, of using 0845 numbers, which are a rip-off for the consumer—in this case, the patient? If this regulatory regime will not cover that practice, will he assure me that he will look into the matter? GPs are getting paid handsomely and properly by the state, yet some of them seem to wish to make extra money out of their patients' phone bills.

Alan Johnson: My hon. Friend has raised an important point, but this is not a matter for the Bill. I am already well aware of the practice that he mentions, however, and we issued guidance earlier this year to say that patients should pay no more than the cost of a local call. Indeed, we believe that to charge in the way that he has described breaches the terms of the GP contract. The matter does not need the weight of this legislation, or the time that it would take to pass the measures, to deal with it.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #160 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 12:08am

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 04 Dec 2007 (pt 0029)

Child Benefit: Databases

Mr. Dismore: To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer for what reasons the helpline number 0845 302 1444 for enquiring about child benefit database concerns is a premium rate line; if he will ensure that people are able to call the helpline at local tariff rates; and if he will make a statement. [169726]

Jane Kennedy: This is not a premium rate line. HMRC policy is to operate customer facing helplines using an 0845 prefix rather than premium rate lines. The cost of calls to 0845 and other non geographic numbers is dependent on several factors. Calls are charged to the customer based on the tariff arrangements they have with their service provider, the device they use for the call and the location from which they call.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #161 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 11:42am

Let us hope Mr. Dismore has learned from that 'non reply' never again to use words (like 'premium rate') in a question to this government which can be turned against him in a reply.

The question should have been something like, "To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer for what reasons the helpline number for enquiring about child benefit database concerns is still an 0845 number and has not been changed to an 0300 number as recommended by the COI and Ofcom so as to ensure that people are able to call the helpline at local tariff rates; and if he will make a statement."
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2007 at 11:44am by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #162 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 12:31pm

Heinz wrote on Dec 6th, 2007 at 11:42am:
Let us hope Mr. Dismore has learned from that 'non reply' never again to use words (like 'premium rate') in a question to this government which can be turned against him in a reply.

Yes indeed. Mr Dismore is one of those being subjected to my parliamentary education programme by regular briefings. This has achieved only modest success, as I have to congratulate and encourage students who share our objectives, as well as criticising them.

There was another example yesterday, where the differential costs of calling 0845 numbers from landlines was regrettably overstated. This occurred during some interesting discussion on the topic of 0845 helplines (primarily DWP) during a debate on Benefit Simplification.

The point was raised by Danny Alexander (Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch & Strathspey, Liberal Democrat) and (over-)endorsed by Rob Marris (Wolverhampton South West, Labour). Link to Hansard

Reference is made to weakness and misunderstanding in paragraph 15 of the Government’s response to the Select Committee Report that is being debated. Link to Response

In winding up the debate, there was a response to the comments made, from the Minister - Caroline Flint (Minister of State (Employment and Welfare Reform)). Link to Hansard

Ms Flint, who may understand what she is saying, confirms the following offer:

We are encouraging our staff to make the point that they can ring people back”.

The department should also be making this clear in all its literature; however this does not address the problem of the cost incurred whilst waiting to speak to an agent. This suggests that DWP should be deploying using the widely used call centre technology that allows callers to request an automatic return call rather than waiting in a queue.

Let us hope that the cost of return calls will help to encourage an early move to 03 numbers.

David

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #163 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 12:47am

UNCORRECTED TRANSCRIPT OF ORAL EVIDENCE To be published as HC 57-iii

House of COMMONS

MINUTES OF EVIDENCE

TAKEN BEFORE

TREASURY COMMITTEE

(TREASURY SUB-COMMITTEE)

HM REVENUE AND CUSTOMS: ADMINISTRATION AND EXPENDITURE IN 2006-07

Wednesday 5 December 2007

MR DAVE HARTNETT, MR MIKE ELAND and MS SARAH WALKER

Evidence heard in Public Questions 342 - 512

Q363 John Thurso: HMRC is using an expensive 0845 number for its helpline. Why is that?

Mr Hartnett: Mr Thurso, we have always done that with our help lines. We aim to make the charge as---

Q364 John Thurso: Do you not think this is a slightly exceptional case, a helpline where you have lost 25 million of this people's data? There is a slight difference.

Mr Hartnett: I have two things to say. First, we wanted to use an existing helpline to make it available as fast as we could, and that we have done. The second is that the amount of traffic on the helpline has been relatively small. We have 150, 160,000 calls a day. Since the Chancellor made his statement, we have had around 35,000. If I am wrong I will give you more. I am being corrected; it is now up to 60,000 calls.

[...]

Q367 Mr Brady: First of all, can I pick up on one of your earlier answers. Sixty thousand calls to the helpline. Do you have a figure for what the cost of those calls has been to the users, either as a total or---

Mr Hartnett: I do not, Mr Brady. We will see whether we can get one for you and I will write to the clerk.

[...]

Q507 Chairman: You said you were going to get 70 per cent of the ordinary applications done within 14 days. I corresponded with Paul Graham and a company in my constituency that took three months to get a registration through, and the helpline he found completely useless, 0845 711 21114, and my office tried that helpline and also found it completely useless. It simply did not answer. Were you aware of that?

Mr Hartnett: I was not, but what I did do before I came here - because I recognise how important effective and speedy VAT registration is for business - was I talked to our directors who are responsible for this area, and they told me they were both determined and confident of getting there for 31 March.

Chairman: Do you understand the frustration of people who find the helplines themselves useless?

[...]
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2007 at 12:48am by idb »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #164 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 12:49am

Questions for Oral or Written Answer
beginning on Tuesday 11 December 2007
(the 'Questions Book')

Part 1: Written Questions for Answer on
Tuesday 11 December 2007

N  Julia Goldsworthy (Falmouth & Camborne): To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, which executive agencies and non-departmental public bodies for which his Department is responsible provide a customer contact service; and which of these are 0800 or 0845 numbers.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 32
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge