Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
BT's Low-User Scheme Blocks 18899,1899 Etc. (Read 31,837 times)
Trevor

BT's Low-User Scheme Blocks 18899,1899 Etc.
Feb 16th, 2006 at 2:17pm

But I can still access 0844s for 1p calls to UK residentials, Switzerland, Thailand etc.   BT's charge to Thailand is still a ridiculous 66p per minute!

Shows that the big names are really hurting from upstart rivals.

- Edited by bbb_uk - Title corrected -
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2006 at 2:18pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Trevor

Correction : www.18866.com & www.1899.com  
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 2:28pm

0844-prefix at 1 ppm still allowed, probably due to revenue-sharing, whereas 18866 pays BT nothing?

IP Logged

saynonto0871

UK
Re: BT's Low-User Scheme Blocks 18899,1899 Etc.
Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 5:58pm

It was always the case that use of alternative carriers breached LUS terms.
A few years ago you could sign up for LUS while using pre-fix numbers. But it was usually a matter of months before they put you back onto Standard (RIP).

IP Logged

Wally

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 12:02am

I've used alternative carriers for years and I found the same situation. I registered for the light user scheme and then  used the good old alternatives. They soon cottoned on and wouldn't let me on the light user scheme. Another way, although I didn't try it, may be to use the 0800 numbers that the phone companies give as an alternative. Wink

IP Logged

Martin_S

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2006 at 8:45pm

But how can they cotton on if you are dialling 0800 or 0808 access numbers. Thats an invasion of privacy to the freephone numbers you dial??

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2006 at 10:52pm

But Wally said he DIDN'T use the freephone prefix numbers - so he doesn't know whether they would know!  He presumably just used the normal carrier select code, like 1899, and then BT would realise.

Also it could be that BT might decide that you're not a "light-user" if you make lots of freephone calls - they presumably know if you're making freephone calls even if (in theory) they don't know which numbers you are calling.  Undecided

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2006 at 9:15am

Martin_S wrote on Mar 25th, 2006 at 8:45pm:
But how can they cotton on if you are dialling 0800 or 0808 access numbers. Thats an invasion of privacy to the freephone numbers you dial??
It wouldn't technically be an invasion of privacy unless they listened in on the call.

If BT do block freephone access numbers as used by Call1899, etc then they've simply looked at Call1899's website for their access number and then programmed their system to block access to this number, or as said in the earlier post, excessive use of this number as well because I would have thought that BT would monitor calls on this tariff anyhow and having nothing but freephone numbers being dialled would be suspicious that you are possibly using freephone access numbers.

This is true because we are all aware (BT included) that very few companies actually use freephone numbers now for contact purposes (its mostly 0847/0845) so a lot of calls to a single freephone number would be considered suspicious by them and possibly automatically flagged on their system.
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2006 at 9:15am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 12:30pm

I have a friend who has been on the Light user scheme for over 5 years and has used companies with 0800 or 0808 prefixes to make her calls. She initially used the onetel 0800 acess number that is used for cable customers but due to their connection fee she switched to using the 1899's 0808 access number. This was great, especially when their 0808 number was still giving call at 0.0p per minute. Now they are 1p per minute, however her 1899 bill still only works out at about £4 a month therefore each quarter she spend £12 on calls and about £13 to BT for their light user tariff. Total £25 a quarter. That is far better than paying BT £33 a quarter line rental.

This is ideal for BT customers who only want a phone service and is not available if you want ADSL Broadband.

IP Logged

Martin_S

Reply #8 - Sep 23rd, 2006 at 4:08pm

I have a friend who is on LUS and has broadband and also uses a lot of 0800 numbers with no problems. BT now block you from getting broadband if you are on LUS but he had his line ADSL enabled before this happened. You would think they would cotton on.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2006 at 4:09pm by Martin_S »  

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #9 - Sep 23rd, 2006 at 9:23pm

Just googled "BT low user scheme" to see if the scheme was of use to me.
One level down was http://www.bt.com/customerservices/cust_details.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1436337005....

Calls

With an In Contact Plus line, you can make the following calls free of charge:
Calls to the emergency services on 999 or 112
Calls to BT on 150 (for Customer Services)and on 151 (to report a fault on your line)
Calls to freephone numbers e.g. 0500, 0800 and 0808

End Quote

So that means you should be able to use 1899 etc 0808 access numbers for a cost of
...............Quarterly rental

BT will send you a bill every 3 months for £10.75 which covers the rental of your In Contact Plus line. If you would like, we can make it even easier for you, by allowing you to pay your bill in advance. Simply ask for a BT Payment Card.

End

£33 normal quarterly rental
£10.75 LUS rental
£22.25 saving

2225 mins or 37 hours and 5 mins using 1899 etc (NOT allowing for connection fees, depends on your call volume) before you reach the same price.
If you used 1899 to a max of 1 hour per call it would cost you 63p per hour, mins + connection.
£22.25 / £0.63p =  max of 35.32 hours. Or 35 hours and 19 mins per quarter.

OR

You could use the Voipstunt (for example) callback service at a cost of €0.05, about 3p per call.
£22.25 would buy you 741 calls to UK and several foreign landlines. Each call permitted up to 1 hour before disconnection.
741 calls / 13weeks = 57 hours per week (using maximum call time)
As this slightly exceeds the 5 hours in a 7 day period allowed by Voipstunt, this wouldn't happen.
So if we assume you're going to get as much as possible for the same money.

5 hours included.    5 * 3p = 15p
extra time is charged at 0.93p per min. Therefore an hour is (60 * 0.93p) + 3p = 58.8p
£22.25 - 15p = £22.10
£22.10 / £0.588p = 37.59 hours
Or 37 hours and 35 mins.

So... If you do less than 741 hours a QUARTER on calls you could be better off using their Low User Scheme

For those who weren't aware, and I've only just read it, of you use over 5000 mins monthly, you can buy UK landlines at 0.6p per min. Doesn't if this is plus or inc vat. If plus, then it's a total of 0.71p
http://www.voicetrading.com/en/rates.html

Wooden balance bikes for only £35 + postage. www.easycyclers.co.uk
IP Logged

crashuk

Reply #10 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 12:14pm

so how come we cant use it for dsl.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #11 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 12:39pm

crashuk wrote on Sep 25th, 2006 at 12:14pm:
so how come we cant use it for dsl.
Both Light User Scheme (LUS) and In Contact Plus were really designed for those on really low incomes or older people who need a phone for mostly emergencies so very rarely use the phone.

The t&c for both these services specifically state that calls via indirect operators and those with ADSL cannot use these two tariffs.  In fact, if you have a mobile then you are not elligible neither.

The main reason is that they are designed for emergency contact only (ie those that don't make many outgoing calls at all) and don't really use or have a mobile phone.

These two tariffs are in fact loss-makers for BT and BT have on many occasions tried to get rid of them but Ofcom have said they couldn't.  No other teleco provider could/would do a similar tariff as its not in their own interest.

Although one or two people have reported being successful in getting ADSL or using indirect (cheaper) call providers it is possible that if BT ever found out then they could move that person over to their normal £11 BT Together Option 1.

When BT said they would block people using the indirect cheaper call providers and/or those with broadband, many people complained to Ofcom and BT and Ofcom agreed with BT and decided that because these two tariffs only exist for those that need a phone for emergency contact and/or very, very rarely use then BT were right to block the use of such indirect cheaper call providers and/or broadband use.

For those that have got away with getting ADSL, I can only assume what has happened is that someone at BT hasn't realised when they activated ADSL on the line that they were in fact on LUS and therefore aren't entitled to use broadband or indirect providers.

Now with the likes of Call1899, etc via their freephone number, it may be possible to use Call1899 with LUS and/or InContact Plus simply because BT haven't caught on that these companies use such 0808 numbers.

I suspect that BT have systems in place that monitor abnormal usage of numbers like they do when they start charging for dial-up internet calls to geographical numbers despite being on an inclusive geographical call package.  Therefore, excessive/continued use of Call1899's freephone number may alert BT to investigate this for which BT will then realise that people are using freephone numbers to make cheaper calls and will subsequently block access to these specific freephone numbers.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2006 at 12:41pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #12 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 7:24pm

However that still leaves it open to being used with Voipstunt callback, as that would be an incoming call.

Wooden balance bikes for only £35 + postage. www.easycyclers.co.uk
IP Logged

Martin_S

BT Light User Scheme and Onetel Block
Reply #13 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 9:33pm

Hi. My grandmother is on the LUS. I bought her an Orchid dialler and programmed the routing table. Shes used this no problem for 6 months. Today she gets a message, "Please cease your membership of the light user scheme". I intially thought BT have barred the 1899 etc numbers but when I got her to dial manually they still work. Edit: It seems to be only the 0800 9571877 onetel number that is being barred. Will this affect all diallers? Has anyone else got problems with this?

I know I might get a few replies back saying this is unethical but so is BT's expensive line rental for OAP's. Besides she is 86 and doesn't use the phone that much anyway. But when she did her calls on the LUS scheme were very expensive!

Would appreciate any replies.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2006 at 10:06pm by Martin_S »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: BT Light User Scheme and Onetel Block
Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 10:36pm

Martin_S wrote on Dec 19th, 2006 at 9:33pm:
I know I might get a few replies back saying this is unethical but so is BT's expensive line rental for OAP's. Besides she is 86 and doesn't use the phone that much anyway. But when she did her calls on the LUS scheme were very expensive!
Whilst I agree BT's linerental is expensive especially for OAP's, etc but this is why the linerental is effectively upto about 50% cheaper on LUS than normal linerental.  As a result, for those making a lot of calls then the linerental they pay BT is increased accordingly (ie the reduction is reduced the more calls they make resulting in higher linerental).  This is relatively fair if you ask me as you get the best of both worlds.  That is, if you don't make much outgoing calls then you don't get such a high linerental charge but if you get carried away with calls your linerental is effectively increased to the point where you get the linerental for the same price as normal customers (if phone usage is high).

BT make no secret that they will block access to short codes so if your grandmother has made a lot of calls then why shouldn't she pay for them?

You have to remember that BT actually make a loss on the LUS and In-Contact Plus as it costs more to maintain the lines than they are charging for those on LUS and In-Contact Plus.  I have no idea why they make a loss but an OfcoN investigation did state (if I remember correctly) that it costs BT about £9 per month to maintain a line, etc.  In fact, BT have tried many, many times to actually get rid of these two tariffs but Ofcom have said no.

You have to look at it from BT's side of things as well.  Cable companies don't have to (and actually don't) have such tariffs simply because they lose money so this is why BT have tried to get rid of these tariffs but so far failed due to Ofcom overriding them.

Your grandmother is lucky she got away with it this long.  As for what can be done - well she can try not to make as many calls as she did or she accepts she has to pay for them, or if her usage is high enough so it ends up she is paying normal price for linerental then she would be better of moving to normal linerental and getting Primus' free evening & weekend package for no monthly fee and using Call18185 in the daytime (see here).

There is nothing else really that can be done.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge