Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Unknown number - 0870 8507618 (Missed Call) (Read 53,084 times)
lastofthebarons

Unknown number - 0870 8507618 (Missed Call)
Aug 28th, 2006 at 4:17pm

Is there any way to find out,other than by ringing the number, which company owns a local or national rate number eg. 08708507618, and they are not already in the database?

I've just received a call, 1471, told me the number but unless I phone it, incurring their charges, I don't know who they are.

~ Edited by Dave: Thread title amended]
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2010 at 5:26pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Unknown number - 0870 8507618 (Missed Call)
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 4:27pm

Google can sometimes bring up pages with the number on. It may find other discussion forums where people are asking the same question. I've just Googled this number and it finds nothing.

When you do Google it, you need to enclose it in double quotes " to avoid it finding other results. If you try it without, you will see what I mean. However, when you do enclose it in quotes, you will need to search with spaces in various places. For example "0870 8507618" "0870 850 7618" and so on.

IP Logged

jalexander

Surrey
Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 3:12pm

Hi I have also been recieving calls from this number 08701240200 for the last 3 weeks.  Has any one had a call from this number in other parts of the country?

kitten  
IP Logged

repnec

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 6:09pm

Hi

This is my first post on this forum.

I found the forum by doing a search for the 0870 8507618 number,  I too am also trying to find out who this number belongs to without taking the step of calling them.  They have been calling me at least once a week for the three last weeks despite the fact that my number is listed with The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) Angry.

I live in Greater Manchester.

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 7:41pm

08701240200 is apparently the number for First National Finance and GE Capital.  See here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-knowledge/9071-warning-warnin....

Their website is here:
http://www.firstnat.co.uk/customer/home/index.htm

The company is a loan provider.

IP Logged

senex

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2006 at 12:36am

0870 8507618 rang me silently tonight.  Google brought me here.

I rang the number which is used by 'Ideal Homes'.  They sell double glazing and garage doors.  The wassock I spoke to could see nothing wrong in his computer 'targetting my post code area' and suggested I talk to my line provider when I mentioned the Telephone Preference Service.

I understand that silent calls are not covered by the TPS legislation.  All one can do is complain to the Information Commissioner's Office.  He does not investigate individual complaints, just builds up a picture and takes action if/when he thinks it justified.  Really powerful protection for the public huh?

I think, in future, I will agree a visit from a salesman from these companies and after a couple of hours may do an eggy Prescott on them! Smiley

IP Logged

jonibacon

Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2006 at 1:07pm

I've had nothing but problems with incoming calls fom 08708507618.  More often than not, the calls are silent, and it is used by a company trying to sell double glazing and conservatories, except they tell you they want to give them to you for nothing - yeh right!  I've asked them on more than six occasions to stop phoning me, but it doesn't work.  Yesterday after they phoned me twice in one day, I asked to speak to a 'manager' who promised that I wouldn't be phoned again, her name was Claire (she refused to give me her surname) but this morning I got another phone call.

The company claims to be called "Ideal Homes marketing", but this morinng they were called "Weatherseal" and claimed they were in no way connected with 'Ideal Homes' despite the calls come from the same number, so they may well be an independent call centre working for different companies.  but the produscts are all basically the same.

The best way to get rid of these nuisance phone calls is to give them a false name and address and ask them to come round and see you.  Better still, if you live in an unpastairs flat, tell them you want a conservatory.  Hopefully this will stop them from phoning again and again.

I've reported them to offcom for breaking the government code on silent calls - over 50% of the calls are silent.  If enough people report them to offcom, then maybe something will happen.

Whatever you do, don't phone them, it will cost you a fortune, and you will just get more phone calls from them

IP Logged

mintaka

Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 12:56pm

Thanks for your posts senex and jonibacon - really interesting as the daily unrecognised calls from these scumbags have been driving me mad.  So... I'm already ex-directory, I bar incoming withheld numbers, I'm registered with the Telephone Preference Service.  Sheesh, what else do I have to do to get it through to these people that I will NEVER, ever buy anything from a company that has to resort to cold-calling to shift their crap?

What about that BT option to bar certain incoming numbers?  Anyone had any success/stories to tell with that?  I imagine it would only be a short-term solution as there must be some sort of limit on the number of individual numbers you can add.
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2006 at 12:57pm by mintaka »  

IP Logged

stop0870

Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2006 at 3:45pm

Like the rest of you 08708507618 has called me about 17 times over the last two mounths saying thay were "Weatherseal"

My number is also listed with The Telephone Preference Service (TPS)  Angry Angry Angry

How can I stop this ?

IP Logged

Mrs C

Cheshire
Reply #9 - Sep 29th, 2006 at 4:25pm

I have also been receiving regular calls from this number despite being ex directory and registered with the TPS.  I have chosen not to answer them as I have caller display but it is very frustrating.

I too found this site by searching for this number, if anybody knows how to stop them please share it with us.

IP Logged

mintaka

Reply #10 - Sep 30th, 2006 at 1:04pm

Woo hoo...  Found a way to stop them.

As we've all discovered by now, ignoring the calls doesn't work.  So, next, I tried just picking up and leaving the phone off-hook when they called.  There was actually a lot of satisfaction to be gained knowing you were letting a company that is desperate enough to resort to auto-diallers know what it feels like to have to put up with silent calls.  Wink

Still the calls kept coming though, but it didn't feel quite so annoying now, as I knew I was costing that company money every time they called.  (Insert Sid James style filthy laugh here...)

What finally stopped the calls once and for all though was just getting my computer to answer the phone when Caller ID showed they were telephoning yet again.  When their auto-dialler registers that the call it has initiated has been answered and routes it to a member of their call-centre trash, they think the number is a fax machine and flag it accordingly.  Result - no more calls.

You can do it easily enough by just installing some sort of fax software - they all have an option to manually receive a fax which causes your modem to pick up the call and start screaching.  Having been pleased with the result, I've automated the process now for any other evil organisation that might choose to follow Weatherseal's appalling practices.  PC World sell Zoom modems for 25 quid that also have UK caller id support.  After knocking up a quick script, my computer now greets any phone numbers I've previously told it to with a fax-style tone automatically.  Sorted.  Cool
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2006 at 1:08pm by mintaka »  

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #11 - Sep 30th, 2006 at 2:29pm

There may be another way of stopping these annoying calls? I have VoIP and my provider has a wide range of options for me to choose from. Really easy to set up from a web site. I can block any individual call - make it appear as though my line is busy or send it to voicemail or just make it unavailable. I can block calls between certain times - say 10:00pm to 06:00am. I can block anonymous calls. I can redirect calls from specific numbers. I can set up a 'whitelist' of numbers I always want to receive calls from. Oh, and I get to keep my normal "land-line" number, too. The list goes on.....

All this is included in the monthly price of about £7.00 (as is 500 minutes of calls anywhere in N America) - no extras! Now, I don't know enough about VoIP providers in the UK, but if any of them offer similar capabilities, it really is worth while considering them. It just stops the crap dead in its tracks! Of course, we don't suffer from the dreaded 'shared cost' calls.......

But there again, I suppose Ofcom will have made all those provisions illegal on VoIP in Rip-Off Britain. Can't upset our telco chums, can we...... Angry

IP Logged

Hel62

Reply #12 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 12:13pm

Just adding my voice to this one too...this company has been calling me for at least 5 weeks at least twice a week. 

How can I stop them? I am ex directory and registered with TPS.

Who should I complain to?
Thanks for any advice.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #13 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 12:35pm

Hel62 wrote on Nov 15th, 2006 at 12:13pm:
Just adding my voice to this one too...this company has been calling me for at least 5 weeks at least twice a week. 

How can I stop them? I am ex directory and registered with TPS.

Who should I complain to?
Thanks for any advice.

According to a post a bit further up, it's Weatherseal's number.

http://www.weatherseal.co.uk/windows/index.php

You can book an appointment online or by calling them on 0800 041 041.

Or, as you're registered with TPS, complain to them - http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/cgi-bin/tps_complaints.pl
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2006 at 1:25pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

elizabeth01

Reply #14 - Dec 13th, 2006 at 12:45pm

I just called the number 0870857618 and they said they were ideal homes. I too am registered so i shouldn't be getting these calls. If you do find out how to stop them I would be really pleased.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge