Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ASA do not polce the following!? (Read 4,378 times)
derrick
Supreme Member

ASA do not polce the following!?
Sep 27th, 2006 at 1:44pm

I recently complained to the ASA about an Independent Police complaints Commission,(IPCC) booklet that had the number 0845 002002 (local rate) printed in it and on the back of it, but I have now had a response from them and they do not come within "our terms of reference".
I have copied the response as follows:-

Dear Mr ******

RE: IPCC BOOKLET

Thank you for your recent email.

The Advertising Standards Authority is responsible for ensuring that advertisements comply with the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing and one of our functions is to investigate complaints that advertisements break the Code.

Regrettably, we are unable to pursue your complaint because it does not come within our terms of reference. Clause 1.2 f of the Code states:

the Code does not apply to statutory, public, police and other official notices/information, as opposed to marketing communications, produced by public authorities and the like

We are therefore unable to take any action over this matter. We are sorry we cannot help you but we hope you will find this information useful.

The ASA website, www.asa.org.uk, contains information about the ASA and the work we do, including the results of our investigations into recent complaints about advertisements and links to other organisation that might be able to help you.

Matthew Morgan

Complaints Executive

So maybe we should compile a list of bodies that it is just not worth complaining about to the ASA ?

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: ASA do not polce the following!?
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2006 at 1:58pm

I knew the BBC were exempt but didn't realise it was all gov funded depts as well.

If this is the case, who if anyone, can you complain to?  Trading standards are themselves funded by local councils and us taxpayers so I can't see them being 'independant' when looking at such complaints.

Whats worse than this is that Teleco's can still get away with describing such numbers as local and national rate including 0871, etc.  Ofcom dont want anything to do with it despite it being a communications company and instead try and pass it on to poor trading standards who would likely say its better dealt with by a regulator of such services.  In my opinion, it should be dealt with via Ofcom as nearly all telco's still do this misleading descriptions because it we are talking about way too many teleco's for trading standards which of course only take on complaints where companies h/q are within their 'area'.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: ASA do not polce the following!?
Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2006 at 8:58pm

bbb_uk wrote on Sep 27th, 2006 at 1:58pm:
I knew the BBC were exempt but didn't realise it was all gov funded depts as well.

If this is the case, who if anyone, can you complain to?

In my view the following have some influence over the Police and use of 0845 numbers:-

1. Your local County Councillor - as Police forces are controlled by a Police authority largely comprised of local members of the County Council.  Start emailing your County Councillor and point out what is going to happen in Feb 2008 and for him to ask questions to the Chief Constable.  Perhaps he is even on your local Police Authority?  Say you want to have a meeting with him to discuss the issue.

2. Your MP - is able to ask questions to the Home Secretary about the Police and the numbers they use. Write to your MP getting him to put down some Parliamentary questions on the subject for Written Answer.  Also you could ask your MP to refer this as an issue to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards asking him to investigate if Ofcom have failed in their duty to the public in letting the Police use non standard numbers that cost far more than an ordinary local phone number to call from most mobile phones in particular.

3. PITO - those useless QUANGO morons of course directly control official Police policy on this issue but pass the buck for everything they do to the Home Office.  So you may as well ask questions about PITO and their uselessness to your MP.

4. Your Euro MP - you could follow the suggestion of BobbyBoy to ask him to refer to the EU commissioner the lack of price disclosure on these numbers and the fact they are non standard rate numbers and that the market for 0845 call prices is not properly competitive.  And this is unacceptable given that the Police is a monopoly and you have no option but to use their service.  Also no pre announcemen of it not being a standard priced call before you call.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge