Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BT Basic replaces Light User Scheme & ICP (Read 32,990 times)
bbb_uk
Global Moderator

BT Basic replaces Light User Scheme & ICP
Dec 31st, 2006 at 2:20pm

It has been mentioned to me that BT are going to remove the Light User Scheme (LUS) and In-Contact Plus (ICR).  They will be replaced by BT Basic, as follows:-

BT Basic

You can only be on it if you have one of the following 3 benefits:-
1) Job Seekers Allowance
2) Income Support
3) Guaranteed State Pension

Receipt of the above will have to be proved.

The cost is £14.49 a quarter (minus £3 if paid via D/D) and includes 45 mins of calls a quarter. Calls over the 45 mins are at 10p/min any time of the day or night.

This is coming into play in January sometime but people will be able to keep the old tariffs for a while as they are migrated over.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: BT Basic replaces Light User Scheme & ICP
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2006 at 2:32pm

The main reason for this I assume is to limit the number of people who can go on this loss-making tariff which BT are forced to continue.

Mentioned on MSE here.

IP Logged

Graham

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2006 at 6:54pm

I presume it will still have the same restrictions as the Light User Scheme, i.e. the customer is not eligible if he/she has any "broadband" or any mobile phone or anyone else in the house has another telephone line.

IP Logged

acezing

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 9:50am

I think your find its a new stand alone product,and the other 2 will still run.

They probaly pinched the idea from Kingston Communications (Hull) , who already run a similar package.

http://www.kingstoncommunications.co.uk/regulatory/_docs/KC_conditionsofservice_...

See 12 of 20 . Social Access Package.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2007 at 10:04am by acezing »  

IP Logged

darkstar

Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 1:53pm

acezing wrote on Jan 1st, 2007 at 9:50am:
I think your find its a new stand alone product,and the other 2 will still run.

Nope, it is replacing the LUS and ICP totally. People will be slowly transfered over.
And yeah, the same restrictions apply as the LUS: no mobile, no BB, no prefix codes, no CPS ect.

IP Logged

acezing

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 12:07am

Ofcom mention the new scheme here,but dont indicate it will replace the other two. Have BT told them?

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consumeradvice/landline/residential/choosing/lowcost/

IP Logged

darkstar

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 8:16am

Yep, at least according to the training we got on it last week. Wink

IP Logged

darkstar

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 12:44pm

For anyone interested the way people will get on this tariff is by contacting a special team who will send out a form for you to fill in, the form is sent back to us and we will be contacting the DWP to ensure its accurate before OKing the BT Basic.

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #8 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 6:11pm

How are BT going to find out about your broadband rental or mobile ownership?
Surely they can't make you tell them as it is personal info, and if they investigated via the various suppliers their enquiries should be met with the Data Protection wall.
You would then use the voip callback service.

And how the heck did DWP get the right to give out our info freely? Can I ring them to ask if my potential customer can afford my services before I offer them?

Supposing you were in a shared house, but without permission to use the other tenant's phone / computer / other equipment. How would you stand then?
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2007 at 6:13pm by a very nice man »  

Wooden balance bikes for only £35 + postage. www.easycyclers.co.uk
IP Logged

darkstar

Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 9:45pm

I honestly dont know the answer to any of your questions. Im just a phone monkey who agrees with a lot of what is said on this forum. Tongue

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 9:00pm

a very nice man wrote on Jan 10th, 2007 at 6:11pm:
How are BT going to find out about your broadband rental or mobile ownership?

They can't find out about you owning a Pay As You Go mobile in any practical terms, especially if you haven't registered it as you are legally allowed not to.  Also anyone who is JobSeeking is never going to get a bloody job these days if they don't have broadband and a computer - what a farce.

Knowing you have got broadband on the line is easy as long as BT are allowed to get access to BT OpenReach's records of which lines are tagged for BT Wholesale broadband or LLU broadband.  Also given what good friends BT has at Ofcom and how anti privacy protection New Labour in general are no doubt they have or will be allowed such access.

The outrage is that for gas and electricity if you have a cottage in Snowdonia that is only occupied 20 days a year then loads of gas and electricity companies have a no standing charge tariff that makes no stipulations at all about who you are or your income.

It is outrageous that BT Wholesale, who have a de facto monopoly in rural areas on line rental because they either sell to you via BT or via another company they sell the WLR line to, are not forced to come up with a product for people who do not make phone calls and only need the line for broadband and Voip.  Instead we are forced to subsidise lower cost prices for BT Option 2 and Option 3 customers with our outraegous £33 a quarter BT No Option 1 line rental for maintaining a years old copper wire and line card.

<div style=

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 9:53pm

However I don't have BT, I have TW for the net. I'm sure their database is Data controlled.
If I pull the wire from the wall when / if they come, where's the evidence?

Just had a quick think about the phone access I've got in the house.
BT - For incoming, Voip callback & dial thru
Orange - Me
T-Mobile Hungary - The Bird
Tesco P A Y G  - The Bird while she's here
O2 - Me, the call diversion box
Voipcheap
Voipstunt
I think I might not qualify after all!

Wooden balance bikes for only £35 + postage. www.easycyclers.co.uk
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #12 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 10:03pm

a very nice man wrote on Jan 14th, 2007 at 9:53pm:
However I don't have BT, I have TW for the net. I'm sure their database is Data controlled.
If I pull the wire from the wall when / if they come, where's the evidence?

Just had a quick think about the phone access I've got in the house.
BT - For incoming, Voip callback & dial thru
Orange - Me
T-Mobile Hungary - The Bird
Tesco P A Y G  - The Bird while she's here
O2 - Me, the call diversion box
Voipcheap
Voipstunt
I think I might not qualify after all!

I think the point is they require you to sign a statement saying you don't have broadband access.

If you aren't with BT chances are they won't catch you but you could always talk about it at the pub and then a friend who has a grudge against you may tip the off BT's Investigations department.  And they are probably going to take out one or two example prosecutions against well off techno geeks like you who are well outside the profile they had in mind for helping the technologically illiterate and impoverished (you seem to have to be both to qualify for this scheme).

So BT come out with a new scheme for poor people and it still assumes having broadband isn't essential for the poor - now how does that stop social exclusion? Undecided Shocked Cry

<div style=

IP Logged

gt94sss2

Reply #13 - Jan 16th, 2007 at 3:56am

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 14th, 2007 at 9:00pm:
It is outrageous that BT Wholesale, who have a de facto monopoly in rural areas on line rental because they either sell to you via BT or via another company they sell the WLR line to, are not forced to come up with a product for people who do not make phone calls and only need the line for broadband and Voip.  Instead we are forced to subsidise lower cost prices for BT Option 2 and Option 3 customers with our outraegous £33 a quarter BT No Option 1 line rental for maintaining a years old copper wire and line card.

There actually is such a tariff available - but its similar to what BT Retail charges its Option 1 customers in line rental, so very few companies offer it.

Believe me, you are not subsidising BT's Option 2 and Option 3 customers - they are profitable on their own..

Regards
Sunil

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #14 - Jan 16th, 2007 at 9:54am

gt94sss2 wrote on Jan 16th, 2007 at 3:56am:
There actually is such a tariff available - but its similar to what BT Retail charges its Option 1 customers in line rental, so very few companies offer it.

Please do tell me what that tariff is and provide a URL to it.

Quote:
Believe me, you are not subsidising BT's Option 2 and Option 3 customers - they are profitable on their own.

Let me put it another way.  BT Option 1 customers are charged violently over the odds so as to blackmail us into routing all our calls with BT on Options 2 and 3 instead where the price differential to Option 1 is now much smaller.  Since BT is still the massively dominant market player how can Ofcom justify a situation where BT now finds it much easier to talk more customers into not leaving it.

Also how does BT justify the poor who use computers having to pay a whopping £132 a year to BT just so they then have a line that can take a broadband connection with further fees on top?  There is no competition to BT Wholesale/Openreach outside of cable and fully LLU exchange phone areas.

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge