Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Discussion: 01/02 Vs 0845/0870 price comparison (Read 18,124 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Discussion: 01/02 Vs 0845/0870 price comparison
Jan 10th, 2007 at 1:30pm

To give an idea of how much it costs to call 0845 and 0870 numbers I've compiled a list of tariffs and how much it costs for geographicals and 0845/0870 here. If you have any comments on that page please post them below.

I am currently working on mobile tariffs but the sheer number of providers with different tariffs means that the list is very long. I am considering ways to change this. At present I have pay as you go and pay monthly tables for O2, Vodafone, Orange, T-Mobile and 3. Also, Virgin Mobile is listed (PM and PAYG rates are the same). So that's 11 sub-tables!

bbb_uk has suggested that I show maximum rates only, but I think that this has the potential to be misleading because the rates in one particular table may be applicable on different tariffs and therefore not attainable on one particular tariff.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Re: Discussion: 01/02 Vs 0845/0870 price compariso
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 1:33pm

The #5 post is very difficult to read, why has it got such a small scroll screen? why has it got a scroll screen at all? non of your others have!

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 1:41pm

I appreciate that it's difficult to get sensible answers from Planet Talk about their 084/7 rates but I feel Primus Saver Option 2 ought to be one of the listed few - free 90 minutes evening and weekend 01/02 calls is better than any of the others.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2007 at 1:42pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 9:14pm

derrick wrote on Jan 11th, 2007 at 1:33pm:
The #5 post is very difficult to read, why has it got such a small scroll screen? why has it got a scroll screen at all? non of your others have!

What resolution are you using and what browser?

I've just tried it in Internet Explorer and Firefox at some different resolutions and they all show OK.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2007 at 10:44am

Dave wrote on Jan 11th, 2007 at 9:14pm:
derrick wrote on Jan 11th, 2007 at 1:33pm:

What resolution are you using and what browser?

I've just tried it in Internet Explorer and Firefox at some different resolutions and they all show OK.

Have just gone to the page and it is now OK, have not altered anything on my computer, and all the other posts on that thread did not have a scroll, although even now there is a scroll bar on #5 horizontally, but it does not need to be there as the wording fits the screen like the other posts?

IP Logged

kk

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 10:30pm

Would it be possible to include 0844, 0871 and 0700 in the payphone section?

KK

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 11:13pm

I've added mobile comparison including 0844/0871 rates.  Wink

IP Logged

olliecox

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 2:08pm

Dave,

Thanks for putting this together.  I got all excited for a moment about some of the deals appearing to include NG numbers for free.

But when I followed up your references I found that it didn't hold up.

For Virgin the webpage you reference says:
These packages don't include:

* Calls to mobiles
    * Calls to international numbers
    * Calls to premium rate UK numbers (they usually start 09). These calls are usually charged between 5p and £1.50 per minute or they may have a flat fee charge of up to £1.50. Please see Virgin Phone Calling Costs for further information.
    * Calls to non geographic numbers (they usually start 0845, 0870 etc).

And as a long term ntl/virgin customer I know that I'm always charged for them!

And the TalkTalk site also says they charge for them.  They say:
Please note that TalkTalk call bundles do not include calls to non-geographic numbers starting with 084 or 087. Calls to 0845 numbers are charged at 3p/m (day), 1p/m (evening) and 0.5p/m (weekend). Calls to 0870 numbers are charged at 7p/m (day), 3.5p/m (evening) and 1.5p/m (weekend).
- but not being a TalkTalk customer I can't be sure.

I haven't checked the BT site but having once been told by a BT Customer Services supervisor that "BT were doing me a favour by having me as a customer and so they could charge what they liked" I haven't had much to do with them since.

If you genuinely know of a provider that does include NG numbers in one of their deals I'd love to know.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 8:34pm

olliecox wrote on Jun 13th, 2007 at 2:08pm:
Thanks for putting this together.  I got all excited for a moment about some of the deals appearing to include NG numbers for free.

AFAIK there are no landline packages that include calls to 084/087 numbers. This is also the case for the vast majority of mobile packages. I don't think that my comparison page suggests that these numbers are included. Do you disagree with me?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2007 at 4:56pm

I've just gone through the list and updated prices and web links.

T-Mobile typifies what lengths telecoms companies go to leave many consumers thinking that the grass is greener. Those of us who want to find exact information, well we're out of luck.

The information for PAYG is on this page and you need to click "Quick guide to costs" near the bottom of the page to view the all but brief table. Apparently freephone numbers are "Free-40p" per minute and other 08 numbers are "Free-£2.50" per minute. If you want to know the exact price, you will have to call customer services. Calls to them cost "Free-25p" per minute.  Roll Eyes

T-Mobile are not alone. Oh no, Orange would be better described as a muddy brown colour as that is as clear as the pricing gets. So much so, that it is the only provider I have been unable to update. Unsuprisingly they have moved their website around and some of the links now don't work.

Orange seem to be forever changing PAYG plans. Whether it be fixed rates at all times, peak/off-peak or a tariff that charges a higher rate for the first few minutes then a cheaper on thereafter.

Now we apparently have "Speak Easy", as detailed here. Minimum charge is given as 15p.

On referring to the PAYG Price Guide booklet, available in PDF here, it says that the minimum call charge is 10p. So which is it? Is the booklet out of date?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge