Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
ICSTIS 0871 Consultation (Read 103,202 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
ICSTIS 0871 Consultation
Apr 27th, 2007 at 1:32am

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/business_money/watchdog+warning+on+0871+nu...

<<
Callers dialling 0871 numbers should be refunded if they are kept on hold too long by call centres, an industry watchdog says.

Adverts for 0871 phone services should include clear price warnings, according to premium rate phone regulator Icstis, and service providers must give clear written or spoken pricing information before customers are charged.

The package of measures were proposed by Icstis to ensure callers can dial 0871 numbers with confidence.

UK consumers spend up to 35p a minute dialling 0871 numbers at a total cost of more than £300 million per year.

Icstis will take over regulation of 0871 services early in 2008.

The regulator's chief executive George Kidd said: "Consumer trust in 0871 numbers is critical. Callers should not suffer unreasonable delays. If they do, good business practice is to remedy the problem and offer a refund for the call cost."

Icstis (the Independent Committee for the Supervision of Standards of the Telephone Information Services) is an industry-funded regulatory body for premium rate phone services.

It is consulting on the proposed package of measures until June 28.
>>

Edited:
by bbb_uk:

More information on this consultation can be found here.

The consultation itself can be found here (.pdf).
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2007 at 7:02am by bbb_uk »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: ICSTIS 0871 Consultation
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 7:04am

I look forward(!) to reading this over the weekend.  It's 38 pages long so it's not upto the usual 100+ page that Ofcom likes to do with consultations.

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 2:41pm

From the ICSTIS Document - "0871 Services:An ICSTIS Consultation" p3
http://www.icstis.org.uk/pdfs_consult/0871_services.pdf

Quote:
We recognise that the parties affected by this issue are many and varied. Many consumers and
consumer groups have an interest in the regulation of the 0871 number range. Many companies
and organisations across the UK rely on the 0871 number range for some aspect of their
business.
They will all be affected by any regulatory proposals that we bring forward. Additionally, due to
the forthcoming removal of regulatory support for revenue share on the 0870 number range,
there is likely to be migration from that range to the 0871 number range.

So now it is officially recognised that there will be wholesale movement from 0870 to 0871. I'd put the 'likelihood' referred to above at about 95%!

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 8:29am

Taken from page 6:

Quote:
From our pre-consultation research, it has become apparent that the use of the 0871 number
range has some differences to that of other ranges currently within our regulatory remit. In
particular, much 0871 number use is for customer service and contact centres where the
outpayment to service or information providers may not be the main reason for use of the
number.
Now that reads to me that ICSTIS think that any company using 0871 is not really using it for the money they receive from calls!  If this was the case and companies needed NGN's for their features then they could lower priced NGNs like 0845.  Therefore, the main use of 0871 is for the revenue they'll receive without currently being regulated at all and without consumer knowledge that they're using a (stealth) premium rate number.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 9:24am

idb wrote on Apr 27th, 2007 at 1:32am:
http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/business_money/watchdog+warning+on+0871+nu...

<<
Callers dialling 0871 numbers should be refunded if they are kept on hold too long by call centres, an industry watchdog says.>>
I've quickly scanned through the consultation and I never noticed where ICSTIS states that consumers should be refunded if they are kept on hold too long.

In fact ICSTIS has no intention of ensuring us consumers aren't charged for being kept in queue even if its 20+ minutes as mentioned by some forum members for calls to Sky, etc.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 12:25pm

bbb_uk wrote on Apr 28th, 2007 at 9:24am:
In fact ICSTIS has no intention of ensuring us consumers aren't charged for being kept in queue even if its 20+ minutes as mentioned by some forum members for calls to Sky, etc.

And this must be one of the main points we make in our responses. A call that is queued for say 5, 10 minutes will generate at least as much as if not more than a call to a x p/min 09 number where queing is not allowed. Thus, 0871 isn't simply a step down from higher priced 09s, but may be more profitable than low-end 09 numbers.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 1:02pm

Dave wrote on Apr 28th, 2007 at 12:25pm:
And this must be one of the main points we make in our responses. A call that is queued for say 5, 10 minutes will generate at least as much as if not more than a call to a x p/min 09 number where queing is not allowed. Thus, 0871 isn't simply a step down from higher priced 09s, but may be more profitable than low-end 09 numbers.
I totally agree.

I plan on mentioning the fact that consumer awareness of 09x numbers is pretty much well established so consumer harm/detriment due to lack of awareness/knowledge is very little.  Of course things like scams still happen on 09x but at least the consumer is aware that they are ringing a premium rate number.

Whereas with 0871, there is very little consumer awareness of either the costs or more importingly that they are in fact ringing a premium rate number by definition (whether a recognised/controlled PRS or not).

All that's gonna happen is that scams will all move from 09x to 0871 because they'll still receive income from the call (despite what ICSTIS claim and try and play down) knowing that it's basically all but by name unregulated from a consumer protection point of view.

I've always said that as a consumer we should know in advance that we are ringing a premium rate number (regardless of the costs per minute involved) so that then as a consumer we can make a more informed decision on whether to do business with that company or not.

If we are fully informed that we're ringing a 10p/min line (from BT landlines only) and the fact that the company called is gaining money from the call as well then that's fine. Any consumer knowing all this beforehand and still does business with a company can't argue/moan about call costs and the premium that the company receive from the call.

Of course none of this is in the interests of businesses at all and from what I've read of the consultation, it does appear that ICSTIS is putting businesses first and consumer protection/awareness last.

« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2007 at 1:05pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2007 at 7:42am

The regulator should have to publish a database of numbers and the contact details for associated service providers, to make it straightforward to find out exactly what company is calling. This will be useful for reporting silent calls and those who disregard Telephone Preference Service registration. This is how internet domains work, so why can't we have this with telephone numbers?

They must have this database, especially for 09 numbers, so they should put it online.

I will put this in my response to ICSTIS' consultation on 0871 regulation. The best we have at the moment is the ICSTIS lookup that provides the name of the telco which the number is allocated to. This is not forced to be correct as the individual number may have been ported to another telco.
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2007 at 7:42am by Dave »  

IP Logged

mikemundy

Reply #8 - May 21st, 2007 at 10:30pm

I note that callers "Should" be advised of the cost of the call to 0871 numbers before they are charged....how will the 0871 receiver know what the mobile phone firm will charge me....or will I get the universal getout cliche "Calls from mobile phones may vary".

/\/\ike

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2007 at 12:41am

Well I responded on the Pre-Consultation in forthright tones but they never emailed me about this Consultation.

When does it close. Wink Roll Eyes Angry

Not that relentless shyster legitimisers Ofcom or ICSTIS ever take any notice of what the public tell them in any consultations anyway.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2007 at 12:48am

To answer my own question it doesn't close till 28th June so unfortunately I will have time to respond. Sad Cry Cry Cry

Its just that hitting your head on a brick wall is ultimately not a very rewarding pasttime.

I suppose that emailing all interested members of Parliament and asking them to respond might also be a good idea.

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #11 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 7:35am

A brief summary has been setup concerning this consultation and can be found here.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #12 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 10:53am

bbb_uk wrote on Jun 19th, 2007 at 7:35am:
A brief summary has been setup concerning this consultation and can be found here.

And why isn't this ICSTIS consultation and its fast approaching closing date of 28th June being mentioned on the front page of this website in order to ensure a maximum level of response? Roll Eyes Undecided Cry

<div style=

IP Logged

TheArtfulD0dger

Ashford, Kent England
Reply #13 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 2:03pm

I think that, while companies are free to choose to use the new 0871 numbers, there should be some provision such that companies like SKY should be required to provide at least a geographical number for sites such as trouble and customer service. I find it really annoying to have to PAY these companies to get them to fix their problems!!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #14 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 2:07pm

TheArtfulD0dger wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 2:03pm:
I think that, while companies are free to choose to use the new 0871 numbers, there should be some provision such that companies like SKY should be required to provide at least a geographical number for sites such as trouble and customer service. I find it really annoying to have to PAY these companies to get them to fix their problems!!

I agree with what you would lke to see happen regarding a compulsory alternative geographic number but as that won't happen we should at least push for call queues to be limited to 30 seconds and for big fines and the closing down of the 0871 number for any company that regularly over-runs the 30 second queuing limit.

A strict call queue limitation would put off loads of companies from wanting to even consider having an 0871 number.

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge