<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BBC and 0871 (Read 12,726 times)
redant

BBC and 0871
Oct 3rd, 2007 at 10:22am

First evidence of switct to 0871 by the BBC I have seen is programme today at 10 AM Homes Live. You are invited to contact the programme on 0871 6644808-calls cost 10ppm from BT etc. No doubt the start of things to come with little evidence of anybody intending to use the new 03 number range.

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Re: BBC and 0871
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 11:02am

redant wrote on Oct 3rd, 2007 at 10:22am:
First evidence of switct to 0871 by the BBC I have seen is programme today at 10 AM Homes Live. You are invited to contact the programme on 0871 6644808-calls cost 10ppm from BT etc. No doubt the start of things to come with little evidence of anybody intending to use the new 03 number range. 

I seem to recall a past statement from BBC that they made no profit from NTS numbers unless it was for eg: Children in Need.

Can anybody locate that? (Sorry, a bit short of time today) - in which case there is no justification for 0871...

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 11:13am

Yes, a thread back in June - HERE.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 11:55am

As I posted in "Companies changing...", the BBC uses a 0871 number for their "Restoration Fund" (regarding the TV show Restoration that was show a few years back).

While Googling 0871 site:bbc.co.uk, I have also come across another 0871 number here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/programmes/be_on_three/sex_with.shtml. Amazingly, the company that produced the show, Shine North, uses only geographic numbers for contact...

The search continues... yet another 0871 number. This time to apply to be on a show, and this is run by the BBC (also following the same 0871 664 structure of the other number) - details at http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/beonashow/shows/animal_rescue/.

Narrowing my search down slightly to "0871 66" site:bbc.co.uk" returns the number last found, and also a number for contacting a show on Radio 2 - details at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/radcliffemaconie/thechain_100.shtml.

It would appear to me that the BBC is lying out of its backside when it says it doesn't receive any profit from the phone calls it receives. That or Capita are making a hefty profit, and don't want to loose it when 0870 becomes normal geographic rate in February.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2007 at 8:42am

Pudsey bear has now got in on the revenue sharing scam.

Page 8 of the document at http://www.bbc.co.uk/pudsey/fundraising/fundraisingbrochure.pdf includes the following:

Quote:
It’s a new look Pudsey for BBC Children in Need 2007. But he’s still the Pudsey you know and love.

There’s lots of Pudsey merchandise to help your event go with a swing!

How to order - By Phone - Call 0844 848 9799 (calls charged at National Rate)

Most children (whether or not in need) would not be old enough to remember when anyone paid for telephone calls at "National Rate".

(This came up when googling for other material covering good work by the BBC on the 0844 issue. I thought it may be of interest on this topic.)

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 1:03pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Oct 6th, 2007 at 8:42am:
Page 8 of the document at http://www.bbc.co.uk/pudsey/fundraising/fundraisingbrochure.pdf includes the following:

Quote:
It’s a new look Pudsey for BBC Children in Need 2007. But he’s still the Pudsey you know and love.

There’s lots of Pudsey merchandise to help your event go with a swing!

How to order - By Phone - Call 0844 848 9799 (calls charged at National Rate)

And on page 10:

Quote:
You can call our donation line on 0845 733 2233 (lo-call rate) or donate securely online by visiting bbc.co.uk/pudsey Remember you can give all year round!

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 1:15pm

I find it totally amazing that the BBC fails to report the cost of 08 numbers correctly, but must have displayed a full onscreen message about 09 costs atleast 3 times last night on Strictly Come Dancing!

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2007 at 10:49am

The document on the website has been updated!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pudsey/fundraising/fundraisingbrochure.pdf

Quote:
Call 0844 848 9799
Calls provdied by BT will be charged 5 pence per minute at all times. A call set up fee of 6 pence per call aplies to calls from residential lines. Calls from other networks and mobiles may vary.

Quote:
Donations can be accepted on the cards shown below. You can call our donation line on 0845 733 2233 Calls provided by BT will be charged at up to 4 pence per minute at all times. A call set-up fee of 6 pence per call applies to calls from residential lines. Mobile and other providers’ costs may vary.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2007 at 11:11am

Dave wrote on Oct 15th, 2007 at 10:49am:
The document on the website has been updated!

Well done Pudsey for at least being honest.

Pudsey could have explained that around 4 pence from a two minute call goes to the appeal fund (or does it ?).

He could also have then explained why this is worthwhile approach for those who would pay nothing for a call to a geographic number, but would pay a total of 16 pence for a two minute call to this "fundraising" 0844 number. A 75% overhead makes it look as though someone elses needs are being put ahead of those of Children.

David

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #9 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 11:39pm

Yet another new 0871 number - see here for details: http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1177669087/13#13

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge