<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
070 numbers (Read 64,428 times)
reggie

070 numbers
Oct 7th, 2007 at 4:18pm

I suppose that a lot of you already know this but I can't believe that I'm the only one who didn't.
I got a missed call on my mobile and as I have a lot of free minutes I decided, foolishly to call back altho' I didn't recognise the number. Fortunately for me  my  phone provider 3 gave me a warning saying that 070 numbers were not included in my free minutes and that the charges could be anything from 25p to £1.50 per minute and gave me the option of hanging up. I had thought that all 07 numbers were normal mobile phone numbers but that is clearly not the case so I thought I would share this with you. Do you know of any other 07 numbers which are premium numbers.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: 070 numbers
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 10:46pm

reggie wrote on Oct 7th, 2007 at 4:18pm:
... Do you know of any other 07 numbers which are premium numbers.

Some mobile numbers, which begin 075, 077, 078 and 079 are outside your minutes. These will probably not be the main UK networks.

For example, although the Channel Islands and Isle of Man aren't part of the UK, they use our numbering. Some landline packages don't include calls to landlines in those locations and I believe that mobiles are the same.

Three's pricing booklet is available in PDF here. Refer to page 32 where you will find a whole host of 07 prefixes which aren't included.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 11:04pm

reggie wrote on Oct 7th, 2007 at 4:18pm:
I suppose that a lot of you already know this but I can't believe that I'm the only one who didn't.

I had thought that all 07 numbers were normal mobile phone numbers but that is clearly not the case so I thought I would share this with you.  Do you know of any other 07 numbers which are premium numbers.

Yes, 070 numbers are, at the moment, 'personal numbers' and are misused in the way you describe by unscrupulous people to make money from unsuspecting members of the public.  Patientline is a typical example (charging 49p per minute to call a bedside phone in an NHS hospital from a BT landline).

Technically, they're not Premium Rate numbers (but, of course, they are in reality).

Ofcom has said it may move the 070 range to the currently vacant 06 range to avoid confusion with mobile numbers but, as Dave points out, that won't be an end to the confusion.
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2007 at 11:05pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2007 at 4:03pm

Numbers that Vodafone regards as "non-standard" are here.

IP Logged

PeterV

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 4:35pm

Just been caught out by 070 number. As a taxi driver I was given 070 number to ring on arrival for return. Fare came out after 3 calls and paid £3.50 fare for short journey. 2 weeks later I get bill from Vodaphone showing 40p, 68p and £2.96 for what I thought would be inclusive minute calls.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 1:52am

Dave wrote on Oct 7th, 2007 at 10:46pm:
Some mobile numbers, which begin 075, 077, 078 and 079 are outside your minutes. These will probably not be the main UK networks.

Surely the OP was talking about 070 Personal Numbers Dave and not about mobile numbers at all, be they UK mobile numbers or channel islands or Isle of Man mobile numbers.  I therefore fail to see why you have not written your response with reference to the big Personal Number 070 ripoff that I thought all regulars on this forum (such as yourself) were very well tuned in to.

It is to Three's immense credir that they play a message that prevents their customers being conned when calling these numbers . Typically the other wideboys of the mobile industry such as Vodafone, 02 etc do not provide these warnings as they also pocket a huge ripoff charge for calling the 070 number along with the called party who takes another major chunk.

There is no case for any Personal Numbers to exist as their only stated reason for existence is still to fleece the public by misrepresenting a premium rate number as appearing as though it is normal rate (just like 084 and 087).  But the stupid regulator deliberately allowed this system to grow up in order to allow its greedy telcom buddies to become rich.  Now it is trying to take credit for belatedly starting to take action (at the speed of a garden snail) to close down a scam that it made possible.  Even the alleged original purpose of 070 numbers has always been a con because the charges levied are not proportionate to the benefit of the service received and they are also paid by the caller when they should be paid by the called party who derives the benefit from the service.

See www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/20/070_phonepayplus_fine/

and

www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/06/ofcom_phonepayplus_oversight/comments/

and

http://myreader.co.uk/msg/141413107.aspx

Quote:
For example, although the Channel Islands and Isle of Man aren't part of the UK, they use our numbering. Some landline packages don't include calls to landlines in those locations and I believe that mobiles are the same.

I have a Jersey mobile with United Mobile and www.18185.co.uk charges calls to it at the same rate as calls to other UK mobiles.  I am told that this is also true of mobile operators and that calls to Jersey mobiles do generally come out of bundled inclusive minutes.
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2008 at 1:56am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 9:59am

NGMsGhost wrote on Sep 14th, 2008 at 1:52am:
Dave wrote on Oct 7th, 2007 at 10:46pm:

Surely the OP was talking about 070 Personal Numbers Dave and not about mobile numbers at all, be they UK mobile numbers or channel islands or Isle of Man mobile numbers.

There is no case for any Personal Numbers to exist as ...

Quote:

I have a Jersey mobile with United Mobile and www.18185.co.uk charges calls to it at the same rate as calls to other UK mobiles.  I am told that this is also true of mobile operators and that calls to Jersey mobiles do generally come out of bundled inclusive minutes.

Dave's comment was specific to the OP question he quoted: "Do you know of any other 07 numbers which are premium numbers."

When 070 numbers first appeared, they were about on a par with mobile to mobile calls at the time, 50 pence a minute or so, but a bit later they were  actually included in one or two lots of contract minutes. As you suggest, nowadays they're just about a total anachronism; though one or two people may be using them for diversion to foreign mobiles, there are cheaper ways overall

I think perhaps it was me who first told you that 18185 tariffs to Guernsey Jersey and Isle of Man mobiles (as well as some others) were the same as for UK main networks. I'm glad that your worries about this changing have not yet been vindicated.

Note that Jersey mobiles do not generally come out of all networks' minutes -
3, Vodafone: no
T-mobile: don't think so
Orange: don't know
Virgin: yes
O2: yes at the moment, for some or all people but needs checking, and there may be changes soon, as noted in their T&C

Isle of Man mobiles 07624 and 07924
3, T-mobile, Vodafone, : no
Orange, Virgin: yes
O2: yes, but remarks as above

IoM 078722 (this SIM doesn't have free roaming in UK, which is why I haven't checked much)
3, T-mobile, Vodafone: unlikely
Orange: don't know
Virgin: probably, but check
O2: as O2 remarks above

There are other non main network prefixes. When this thread was first posted, a number of these were in use for callthrough services, which the main networks were in the process of taking sanctions against, for example T-mobile had blcoked most of them from the start, while Orange and O2 were in the middle of doing so. There are other services on other 07xxxx (1st x not 0), such as VoIP operators designed to be used via wi-fi, or a few GSM low power operators, and some of these have been or are also being squeezed out of inclusive packages

And diverging a bit from topic: Sim4travel (also Jersey numbers) have recently notified forthcoming T&C changes, about daily connection and maintenance charges.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2008 at 10:08am by andy9 »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 10:18am

andy9,

Have you just been on a long summer holiday or something?  I just wondered because you seem to be in an unusually good mood, especially in relation to the content of any post from my good self. Wink

So far as cost of calling is concerned it seems often the telcso only bother to change the caller rate for calls to numbers on which their underlying costs are higher (but they seem initially unaware of it) when a lot of calls start going to those numbers and they begin to start to lose money on them.

For instance calls to US 1-800 numbers with 18185.co.uk used to be charged at the same 0.5p per minute as other geographic numbers in the USA but in the light of experience 18185.co.uk have now revised the per minute charge for calling US 1-800 numbers to 3p per minute, even though they still charge regular geographic area code numbers at 0.5p per minute..........

<div style=

IP Logged

0208meir

Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 5:43pm

I received a message from a woman to call her back on her mobile, the number she gave me was 07036524955.
I spoke to her for 10 minutes and when my bill arrived it was £15. She had tricked me and given me a premium number.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 5:45pm

0208meir wrote on Sep 17th, 2008 at 5:43pm:
I received a message from a woman to call her back on her mobile, the number she gave me was 07036524955.
I spoke to her for 10 minutes and when my bill arrived it was £15. She had tricked me and given me a premium number.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?

You should not call 070 numbers.

IP Logged

0208meir

Reply #10 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 5:48pm

Is there anyway I can get my money back?
Is their anyway she can be punished for this ?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 5:49pm

0208meir wrote on Sep 17th, 2008 at 5:48pm:
Is there anyway I can get my money back?
Is their anyway she can be punished for this ?

No and no.

Why did you call her back when you didn't know who she was and why did you remain on the line for 10 minutes?

IP Logged

0208meir

Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 6:01pm

It was on a chat line, and she sounded cute.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #13 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 6:16pm

0208meir wrote on Sep 17th, 2008 at 6:01pm:
It was on a chat line, and she sounded cute.

Perhaps you will have to put this down to experience.

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #14 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 10:18am

It seems that complaints to phonepayplus do occasionally work however:

http://newsweaver.co.uk/phonepayplus/index000298403.cfm?x=bdnF1k0,b9D2mhhD

Quote:
PhonepayPlus, the phone-paid services regulator, has launched an investigation following 31 complaints from members of the public.  Having contacted the network operator through whose network the service operates, PhonepayPlus considers the service provider responsible under the PhonepayPlus Code of Practice to be ‘PremTel Limited.’

The complaints relate to an email which resembles an invoice for computer equipment. The email encourages recipients to call ‘070’ prefixed numbers which are charged up to 50p per minute from landlines, and potentially considerably more from mobile phones.

Due to the very serious nature of the alleged breaches of its Code of Practice, PhonepayPlus has invoked its emergency procedure to bar access to numbers associated with the service with immediate effect.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge