Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help! £10 Jersey International Call (Read 10,670 times)
domparikh

Help! £10 Jersey International Call
Apr 2nd, 2008 at 6:46pm

Hi all- and thanks for the great work this community does. V appreciated Cheesy

I'm writing because I used SNT0870 to get a geographical number for play.com, rang it from my mobile (hoping to use my bundled minutes), but was subsequently charged £9.25  Angry for it.

It was listed as an 01 number, with no note that it was for Jersey (it didn't click in my head that Play were based there so it must have been), but besides I was unaware that there was any pricing difference.

Essentially I need help on two accounts: firstly, I suggest a note is added on SNT0870 for all CI numbers, since they cost *more* that national rate calls from many providers.

Secondly though, some assistance with possibly getting my money back. I'm on PAYG with Three, and I'm only 16. This one call used up my *entire* credit  Cry
Given that they list 'UK 01 numbers' being included, and that there was no obvious indication otherwise, do I have any hope? Is it worth writing to them and following it up with OTELO? I did speak with their executive office, but they were adamant it was my fault and that I should pay (this is there good call centre lol- not Mumbai).

Anyway, rant over: do I have a hope??

Thanks so much in advance,

Dom

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Help! £10 Jersey International Call
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 7:03pm

Calls to the Channel Islands (Jersey-01534 and Guernsey-01481) are typically not charged the same as other 01 numbers because, although they are part of the UK numbering system, they are not part of the UK. I believe that Isle of Man numbers (01624) numbers usually are.

I've just tried the 01534 from 18185 and it is "0p per minute" as per other UK mainland calls, so 18185 is probably the cheapest way to call the Channel Islands; being 5p per call at any time. Where possible, I suggest you call from a landline.

I think you will have to put this down to experience, I'm afraid. I will amend the entry for Play.com to point out that it is a Jersey number.

Had you called the 028 number for Play.com, the call would have come from your inclusive minutes. The 01534 and 028 numbers answer with the same message, so the 01534 number is diverted to the Northern Ireland call centre provider, Gem; that is why it (028) is the primary alternative number.

IP Logged

domparikh

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 7:09pm

Sad How ironic that I decided against the 028 number 'just in case'

I just really think that they should either have a speperate country code, or at least a free warning message for all Jersey numbers.

I'm very angry- especially since Play put me on hold for so long, and it was to sort out THEIR error.

Thanks for the help, though.

Dom

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 7:31pm

I have now amended all entries with 01534 and 01481 numbers with a note:

Quote:
01534 nos are Jersey and may cost more than other 01/02 nos and inclusive mins may not apply

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 8:32pm

Dave wrote on Apr 2nd, 2008 at 7:31pm:
I have now amended all entries with 01534 and 01481 numbers with a note:

Quote:
01534 nos are Jersey and may cost more than other 01/02 nos and inclusive mins may not apply

Surely it would be better to delete the CI numbers given that NI alternative number that is treated as a normal call also exists.  What  benefit is there leaving the CI numbers still available to let people fall in to this trap?
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2008 at 8:32pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

badger

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 12:02am

domparikh wrote on Apr 2nd, 2008 at 6:46pm:
...some assistance with possibly getting my money back...Given that they list 'UK 01 numbers' being included, and that there was no obvious indication otherwise, do I have any hope?

If I were you I would write to 3. I know that some telcos do not include calls to the Channel Islands within their inclusive calls packages, which I think is fair enough given the cost of terminating those calls is higher - but £9.25 is extortionate.

If mobile operators can warn you when you're about to be charged for calling an 0800 number, they can warn you when an 01 call is about to be charged at international rates.

I think you should fight to get your money back. If you were feeling particularly aggrieved, you could even bring the situation of the newspapers and TV newsrooms in the Channel Islands (I can help you with addresses). I reckon they'd run the story - many businesses in Jersey and Guernsey trade with customers in the UK, and they won't realise these obscure charges are being levied on their customers for contacting them on what most people would still consider to be a UK number.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 12:07am

badger wrote on Apr 3rd, 2008 at 12:02am:
I know that some telcos do not include calls to the Channel Islands within their inclusive calls packages, which I think is fair enough given the cost of terminating those calls is higher - but £9.25 is extortionate.

That depends how many minutes of calls were made and that has not been stated.

It could be 92.5 minutes for instance.

<div style=

IP Logged

domparikh

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 7:36pm

It was about 20 mins... charged at 35p a min (which I thought was inclusive as I bought a bundle, so essentially free at the point of use).

Anyway, good news is that I rang them back, basically asked for a refund... and got £10 free credit!!! YAAAY!! Cheesy

It was odd, because before they were just like.. yup you're fault... and I didn't have the balls to basically beg. But when I rang back, saying I felt that I'd been a bit hard done by, they were only too happy to help. I suspect that the Media dept doesn't have to deal with petty PAYG customers wanting a small refund all the time Smiley

Thanks all!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 7:43pm

domparikh wrote on Apr 3rd, 2008 at 7:36pm:
Anyway, good news is that I rang them back, basically asked for a refund... and got £10 free credit!!! YAAAY!! Cheesy

It was odd, because before they were just like.. yup you're fault... and I didn't have the balls to basically beg. But when I rang back, saying I felt that I'd been a bit hard done by, they were only too happy to help. I suspect that the Media dept doesn't have to deal with petty PAYG customers wanting a small refund all the time Smiley!

Persistence on these things often pays off.   If a company doesn't respond positively on something like this and you have a choice then take your business elsewhere.

<div style=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge