Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Calling mobiles using 18185 (Read 33,992 times)
reggie

Calling mobiles using 18185
Apr 9th, 2008 at 10:14am

I have been using 18185 for ages but recently have been having problems dialling mobiles. After getting the price message I get another message sayint "There are insufficient funds in your account to make this call" I am calling a UK mobile located in the UK. Has any oneelse had this experience?

~ Edited by Dave: Thread title amended
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2008 at 11:53am by Dave »  

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Re: mobiles on 18185
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2008 at 8:38am

Yes - same here, Reggie

Also call quality on 18185 has recently been poor - long delays between dialing and ring tone, 'number not recognised' recording when I did dial correctly (stored number)

Any techie person know what's going on?
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2008 at 2:03pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

reggie

Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2008 at 6:34pm

I wonder whether the fact that"moneysavingexpert" gave them a big plug on his TV programme last week means that they are now overloaded!

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2008 at 7:41pm

I wasn't aware of the problem but am glad my Orchid is programmed to use 18866 for UK 01/02/03 calls (although it still sends calls to Spain and our occasional calls to UK mobiles via 18185).
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2008 at 2:04pm by DaveM »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

oldharryrocks

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2008 at 7:46pm

They are experiencing network congestion see last couple of posts in this thread.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=90711&page=13

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2008 at 8:34pm

I had a very distressing case of a correctly dialled call to my Mum's mobile phone (she has recently been in hospital for a hip replacement) using 18185 misrouting to another telephone without me realising this was the case a few weeks ago.

Basically my Mum wasn't available on her home number but as she still couldn't drive after the op she was unlikely to have gone out.  She was out at 1pm which could still have been a friend taking her out to lunch so I tried again at 3.30pm.  No reply on the landline so I called her mobile with 18185.  The call rang and was answered by a rough sounding man but I asked if my mother was there by her first name.  He said "hang on" and put the phone down and then talked to a woman and she said "is that the son" and there was further discussion while what sounded like a huge slavering Alsatian or Rottweiler barked fiercely and constantly in the background.  At the same time the sound of Bloomberg television could be heard and this didn't tally at all with the very rough couple I heard talking to one another.

The chap left the phone on the table or something and there was then the continued sound of the fearsome hound barking.  For all the world it sounded like my Mum's house had been broken in to and they had knocked her over the head or tied her up while she was watching Bloomberg tv (which she does watch as a keen stocks and shares person).

In the end it was obvious the chap was not coming back so I hung up and redialled but the first time and all times after that the phone went on to my mum's voicemail.  I then checked what happened by calling my own mobile from my landline if the caller on the landline suddenly hung up while the mobile phone was still receiving the call - answer the call on the mobile immediately ends and returns to standby condition waiting for calls.  I tried my Mum's mobile again - still going on to voicemail .  In the end in a panic I drove to my Mum's house (an hour's drive away) fearing the worst to find her sitting in her chair in the living room watching tv.  It seems she had been out for a long lunch with friends.

I logged in to and checked my 18185 account.  I had called her number correctly as it was shown on the call history at the time I called with a 5 minute long call (the length of time I listened to barking dogs etc for).  But it had clearly misrouted to another mobile phone or possibly just another landline phone.  But with 18185 there is no way at all to get something like this investigated because they do not answer customer emails.

You have been warned.  If a 18185 call reaches someone other than the person you dialled it 18185 getting it wrong and not you!

<div style=

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 1:14am

reggie wrote on Apr 9th, 2008 at 10:14am:
I have been using 18185 for ages but recently have been having problems dialling mobiles. After getting the price message I get another message sayint "There are insufficient funds in your account to make this call" I am calling a UK mobile located in the UK. Has any oneelse had this experience?

Were you calling a Virgin mobile, by any chance? Some people calling them from abroad have had this message, and I'm thinking 18185 may also be serving the calls from outside the UK.

I've also had a couple of the other problems described here, not from 18185 but from Voipcheap, sometimes connected straight away to somewhere I can vaguely hear voices in the background.

IP Logged

Werlynne

18185,not the mobile number dialed,kept holding
Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 11:46am

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience to me with 18185, I dial a mobile number, a English speaking foreign voice answers, says Hello........a few seconds pass, says Yes........a few seconds pass, says Hold On.......and then you wait, you hear a TV in the background, dog barking and you wait........and wait..............at whatever the pence per minute charge is. This has happened to me 6 or 7 times now, I have started to say nothing when the voice answers the phone and the same "Hello Yes Hold On" is said.
The first couple of times it happened I presumed I had dialed the wrong number, then as my suspicions grew I started to press the redial button on my phone. When I press the redial button I always connected to the correct number I origionally wanted so I had not misdialed. This is clearly a recording designed to keep you waiting on hold at 6ppm. Somehow I think the calls are being misrouted but we are being charged. I am not saying that 18185 are doing anything underhand but something does seem suspicious, has any other 18185 users had a similar problem?
Many Thanks
Werlynne

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: 18185,not the mobile number dialed,kept holdin
Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 12:15pm

Werlynne wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 11:46am:
I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience to me with 18185, I dial a mobile number, a English speaking foreign voice answers, says Hello........a few seconds pass, says Yes........a few seconds pass, says Hold On.......and then you wait, you hear a TV in the background, dog barking and you wait........and wait..............at whatever the pence per minute charge is. This has happened to me 6 or 7 times now, I have started to say nothing when the voice answers the phone and the same "Hello Yes Hold On" is said.

If you read the previous post I made two posts above yours you will see I had exactly the same experience as you with the same barking dog and tv in the background but the consequence was more distressing (thought burglars were in mother's house) and more costly (about £25 fuel and wear and tear on my car and 2 hours driving).

It appears that 18185 may be persistently misrouting calls to this same wrong number with the mysterious barking dog and blaring television.  If you check your online 18185 accouny history you can get absolute proof that you dialled the call connecting to the barking dog correctly.

Time for a complaint to 18185 but I give only a 1% chance of them bothering to reply. Shocked Angry

<div style=

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Re: Calling mobiles using 18185
Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 12:47am

At this very moment I'm talking to someone on the phone, not a member here, who has had the same thing a few times, the dog, the TV in the background, etc

And I've seen comment in a couple of other forums to the  same effect

It's must be recording, but who knows why? Probably not 18185 themselves, but their suppliers, as I've had the same from Voipcheap
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2008 at 12:49am by andy9 »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 1:31am

andy9 wrote on Apr 19th, 2008 at 12:47am:
At this very moment I'm talking to someone on the phone, not a member here, who has had the same thing a few times, the dog, the TV in the background, etc

And I've seen comment in a couple of other forums to the  same effect

At this very moment Ofcom is pursuing new enforcement efforts against telecoms operators failing to comply with their requirement to belong to an Alternate Dispite Resolution Scheme (Otelo or CISAS) so in view of these alarming problems with calls via the Finarea call products to mobiles and their continued failure to ever reply to any customer complaints (even about serious matters like this) it is clearly high time to encourage Ofcom to take enforcement action against the Finarea group brands.  I did this previously with their then Director of Investigations (David Stewart) but Ofcom seemed to not bother to take any action.  Their latest announcement seems to indicate a more proactive program by Ofcom in enforcing this matter.

See www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2008/03/nr_20080331b

Now I expect andy9 that you will as usual conform to type and say that if these call routing methods are cheap you don't care about them complying with the law etc, etc but this is actually a very serious fault in their call routing system that is clearly affecting hundreds of callers a week and Finarea's consumer interface methods are sufficiently non existent that nothing is done about it.  The nearest alternatives for calling mobiles to Finarea do not cost that much more and if they can't comply with regulations while providing the service then they don't deserve to be in business.

I await the inevitable brickbat from the usual quarter in this forum. Roll Eyes

<div style=

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 8:40pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Apr 19th, 2008 at 1:31am:
At this very moment Ofcom is pursuing new enforcement efforts against telecoms operators failing to comply with their requirement to belong to an Alternate Dispite Resolution Scheme (Otelo or CISAS) so in view of these alarming problems with calls via the Finarea call products to mobiles and
their continued failure to ever reply to any customer complaints (even about serious matters like this)
it is clearly high time to encourage Ofcom to take enforcement action against the Finarea group brands.  I did this previously with their then Director of Investigations (David Stewart) but Ofcom seemed to not bother to take any action.  Their latest announcement seems to indicate a more proactive program by Ofcom in enforcing this matter.

See www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2008/03/nr_20080331b

Now I expect andy9 that you will as usual conform to type and say that if these call routing methods are cheap you don't care about them complying with the law etc, etc but this is actually a very serious fault in their call routing system that is clearly affecting hundreds of callers a week and Finarea's consumer interface methods are sufficiently non existent that nothing is done about it.  The nearest alternatives for calling mobiles to Finarea do not cost that much more and if they can't comply with regulations while providing the service then they don't deserve to be in business.

I await the inevitable brickbat from the usual quarter in this forum. Roll Eyes

Perhaps you could get Mr Stewart or any other Ofcom personnel to be more interested if you followed more conventional procedures and did not introduce off-topic information

NGMsGhost wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 12:15pm:
Time for a complaint to 18185 but I give only a 1% chance of them bothering to reply. Shocked Angry

It would be getting ahead of the facts to make a pre-emptive report to Ofcom about a lack of resolution to a complaint you have not yet even made

Or just at the moment misleading to imply that you already have

It is possible that this fault, which I agree is inconvenient and potentially alarming for some callers, is not yet reported to the company in either detail or extent, so kindly send in a report first, before you try to close the firm down

As for your advice to use only slightly more expensive calls providers, this blindingly obvious suggestion, if used as a double-check at the time, might have saved your alleged travel expenses
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2008 at 9:02pm by andy9 »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #12 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 9:03pm

andy9 wrote on Apr 19th, 2008 at 8:40pm:
As for your advice to use only slightly more expensive calls providers, this blindingly obvious suggestion, if used as a double-check at the time, might have saved your alleged travel expenses

It must have taken you years of embitterment to perfect such a thoroughly acerbic posting style. Tongue

Rest assured 18185 have a lengthy report of this matter now but I would be prepared to wager a very significant sum of money that the silence in response will be truly deafening. Angry

<div style=

IP Logged

nicholas43

Reply #13 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 6:29pm

On 17 April 2008 I asked 18185 to remove the charges for two calls I made which were routed to the dogs (which were to two different numbers I had for a builder). I plan to give them till 1 May to reply, and if I don't get a satisfactory reply, to complain to Trading Standards and Ofcom. I may also use the Direct Debit guarantee to insist on a refund of any direct debit payment which includes the calls to the dogs.
Somebody must have gone to some trouble to set up the dog recording. Although at present I have no evidence that would enable me to make any specific accusations, the possible suspects include Finarea itself, or one of their suppliers. One of their suppliers could presumably be charging Finarea, say, 5p a minute to deliver a call that is actually being answered by the dogs on a loop in their switch, or something. Can any techie reader comment further?

IP Logged

one

Reply #14 - May 19th, 2008 at 3:40pm

Nicholas43 - don't suppose you got any reply from them?

Just made a call to a mobile using VOIPDiscount (another Finarea company) and got the dogs/foreign man.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge