Send Topic Print
iPhone app (Read 96,972 times)
jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: iPhone app
Reply #30 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 12:03am

eric_donovan wrote on Nov 13th, 2008 at 2:28pm:
Well an open API (which is what unknowndomain is asking for) would most likely be implemented in a web standard (XML, HTTP etc), leaving developers of all sorts to create mobile apps connecting to the database if they have a key granted by the owner.

Of course an open API would be ideal. But there's little chance of that happening, as you realise.

I work in mobile software development and there is no mobile technology that works on all mobile devices, it's not the same as the computer world. WAP works on quite a few phones (certainly not all) but it's not a great user experience to say the least, mobile Java works on many handsets but not iPhone and not Android ones. iPhone, Android and Windows mobile are all there own platforms. But crucially developing something on iPhone does not prevent you then developing something on another platform too.

What phones doesn't WAP work on (other than ones so old they don't support any sort of mobile web at all)?

I'm on PAYG, and have an old phone that supports WAP. When I'm on the move, I don't care about "user experience". I only use the web (or the phone for that matter) in an emergency. My priority is not to spend money on bandwidth - at 0.5p/kB, a page doesn't have to be very large before querying the database would wipe out the saving of using a geographical number! I also need something that produces the page server-side. Of course, I could do that given an open API. But then, I could do it now from the web version as long as I kept it private and for my own use...

I'm not sure how easy it would be to research a new database of numbers but I'm going to give it a go anyway.

Good luck with this. I'll look forward to seeing it. If nothing else, it'll show what would be possible with this site if it were developed.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #31 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 2:18am

eric_donovan wrote on Nov 13th, 2008 at 11:20pm:
You don't understand. It's not your fault, you're not a developer. The size of an image of an application has absolutely nothing to do with what size it actually is or how it functions. It's really like saying "that picture of that cake's big, it must have loads of calories in it".

Oh, what a wonderful cheap thrill you must have got from writing that superbly smug slap-down.

The picture of the supposed application in action has place names such as Cupertino in it. Yes, some of us are aware of a certain well-known company coming from that area.

In other words, it is not a sample from a working program by the person posting it, or if it is, it certainly has nothing to do with the declared purpose of looking up alternates for UK phone numbers.

And I'm quite aware of ways to reduce data use, thank you. I and others suggested one. You may think WAP prehistoric, but it works.

You've missed the point about image size; over 500k of images were put on a forum thread a fraction of that size, which might be inconsiderate while some people still read it via slower connections. Other image formats use less data; one inefficient choice may indicate an inclination not to optimise other details.  

Perhaps one of the software fiends with rather better developed interpersonal skills might explain a couple of things to us mere mortals.

I assume that the phrase page-scraping refers to downloading a web page, then software parsing through all the code to find the wanted details, the second part a process that the human eye and brain are actually much better adapted to. Intuitively, it seems it must still involve the cost of data of the whole page, unless some intermediate proxy server is used for data compression, so I don't see it having significant advantages over just using a web browser; the user still has to enter a number somewhere ...

On the other hand, if a query can be sent to the database and get only just the data required, much of the work is done on the server feeding the website. But the potential problems include that this could expose it to badly written queries that could introduce bugs and even crash the whole system, taking the website off the air.

So obviously careful vetting of applicants would be essential. What references can we see so far, that would create confidence in the quality of the software, and likelihood to respect licence conditions? A half-plagiarised cut-and paste image of what might be a directory enquiries application for halfway round the world, someone who's been rejected by Apple for failing to support terms and conditions of contracts they have with other parties, a series of veiled threats to connive at nicking the data anyway, either here or from other sources, loads of patronising insults, etc. No wonder DaveM could not keep the word chancer from springing to mind.
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2008 at 11:56am by Dave »  

IP Logged

eric_donovan

Reply #32 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 11:56am

thanks for the laugh andy9. you're a great guy Smiley

IP Logged

eric_donovan

Reply #33 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 12:30pm

jrawle wrote on Nov 14th, 2008 at 12:03am:
What phones doesn't WAP work on (other than ones so old they don't support any sort of mobile web at all)?

I suppose I was more thinking of the phones that are not setup to use WAP (operator settings are sometimes not installed by default, with PAYG you often have to ask the network to turn it on manually) You've obviously managed to sort it out, but it's enough to make most(?) people just give up. Anyway that would impact all mobile platforms not just WAP so you're right.

I'm not anti WAP - I think it would be a great step forward for this site if they got round to implementing it.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #34 - Nov 14th, 2008 at 3:27pm

eric_donovan wrote on Nov 14th, 2008 at 12:30pm:
I suppose I was more thinking of the phones that are not setup to use WAP (operator settings are sometimes not installed by default, with PAYG you often have to ask the network to turn it on manually) You've obviously managed to sort it out, but it's enough to make most(?) people just give up. Anyway that would impact all mobile platforms not just WAP so you're right.

Too true! I can't help but laugh when someone is after a train time or football results for whatever, and I say why not look it up on your phone? They claim their flashy up-to-the-minute phone doesn't let them use the internet, which is obviously rubbish.

But then, it isn't in the interests of the operators to make it easy to use mobile internet. They would rather people call 08 numbers or use premium-rate text services to find the information they want, for obvious reasons!

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #35 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 12:42pm

jrawle wrote on Nov 14th, 2008 at 3:27pm:
But then, it isn't in the interests of the operators to make it easy to use mobile internet. They would rather people call 08 numbers or use premium-rate text services to find the information they want, for obvious reasons!

I don't think many users would see these as mutually exclusive choices, or necessarily their most likely use

On a lot of recent phones, inserting a different SIM causes settings to be downloaded automatically, though some phones have this deactivated in customised software for the supplying network. And on others, some SIM cards bring up a screen asking if you want settings sent to you.

And the networks are promoting internet access on mobiles more and more, with either free or cheap add-ons.

IP Logged

gingerbeardman

London, UK
Reply #36 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 4:00pm

I'd love to see this get a release.

IP Logged

woshiright

uk
Reply #37 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 2:49pm

I was also looking forward someone can develop a app on iphone ,
but actually, it is not necessary to do that, at least not necessary ask for the datebase from the owner of the site.

we can simply visit this site through safari, we save it as our favrioute website, when we find out the alternative number,simply click on the no. , iphone will call the no. that you want to call.

IP Logged

IPX

Reply #38 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 12:14am

I'm the iPhone app developer for "UK Numbers" - http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=288301623&mt=8

I'd be happy to add an 0870 number lookup if the site providers can either provide a database or API lookup.

I've had quite a few emails from users asking for this.

IP Logged

chrisgoughstuff

Reply #39 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 6:46pm

Hi there. Just to say I've nearly finished my iPhone app that uses all the data from the site.

Start the app, key in the number you want (ie, the 0870 number) it brings up an alternative. You tap it and the phone dials it. Simple.

It will be available shortly and will cost 59p.

Cheers,
Chris.

IP Logged

unknowndomain

UK
Reply #40 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 1:36am

Well, first off well done for getting this far Chris I am interested to see some screen shots, I hope Apple approve it because the last guy got turned down.

I have a few concerns which I hope you have already addressed with the site owner.

The site owner holds copyright on the database which he has collected, this means that reproducing the data requires permission and using his site uses bandwidth which he has to pay for so charging for using his database is not only illegal its also pretty immoral.

I have and am on the side of wanting a iPhone app in fact apps for all platforms but I will not break the law or use other peoples data without permission to do so.

I am making the assumption you have not spoken to the site owner, as I have found it impossible to get hold of him, of which on that matter I would appreciate it if the site owner would contact me as he has been ignoring my attempts to email/pm him and I would like to discuss a few ideas I have had and would like to offer help, I am a capable PHP programming and a graduate 2:1 in graphic design: new media.

Email me@unknowndomain.co.uk

unknowndomain  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge