Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
118800. (Read 53,392 times)
sherbert
Supreme Member

Jun 9th, 2009 at 2:47pm

Just come across this.

http://www.118800.co.uk/index.html

Which I believe will be up and running soon. I was wondering what others particually SilentCallsVictim, NGMsGhost and Dave thinks about this service.

To me I am a bit suspicious.

IP Logged

irrelevant

Re: 118800.
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 4:47pm

Reading the faqs, you do a search, they text you a pin to enter on their website, then text you a £1 message, then text the person you want to call with your number asking them to call you back.

Seems ripe for problems.  What if you get the wrong person, or an old or invalid mobile number, or somebody who doesn;t want to be disturbed right then.. or, like me, somebody who doesn't phone back mobiles due to the costs involved!  (I'm on an old tariff where off-network non-landline calls cost me a fortune!)  Then you've been charged a quid for the lookup, and you haven't even got the number so you can try them again later on!

Certainly not a service I'd be using...

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 7:20pm

I have just seen the set up on the news.   If I want your mobile number, I ring 118800 and give your name and address (I wonder why I do not write to you for it).   The directory contact you and say that a business or person wants your number and you have to give the ok for them to pass it on (I doubt if many are going to do that).   If that works ( and I see that it will not and the number will be given out irrespectively) it should be ok rather like Facebook.

If you give a name and a town (ie do not know the address) I am not sure what happens

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 7:50pm

There's just been a report on Channel 4 News about this. Apparently they have bought lists of mobile numbers collected from consumers who have put their mobile numbers on forms when applying for goods and services. Those who have not ticked the box opting out of their details being passed on will be included.

So this is in no way a comprehensive database of all mobile numbers and those on it are ones which were provided for marketing purposes. This is some 15 million numbers listed.

The company has spoken to the Information Commissioner's office and they say it's OK. This use of such numbers is not for marketing purposes. What other personal information gets passed around like this for purposes which it was not intended.

I avoid giving my mobile number to any organisation so as to avoid getting junk texts and nuisance calls from organisations. This strengthens my resolve to continue keeping my mobile number private.
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2009 at 7:59pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

DesG

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 7:58pm

I do not _ever_ give my permission to any company that has my details to share this information with any other organisation.

As this company has my personal information there has been a breach of Data Protection.

I contacted the company to have them remove my data which they hold ilegally and they refuse to cease using this data immediately. They will not confirm that they have complied with my request to remove all my mobile numbers.

I have no relationship with this company and they do not have my express or implied consent to hold my information. (I assume this is probably true of millions of other citizens and this needs to be investigated.)

It took over 40 phone calls and 2 hours to get through to talk to someone and then they tell me that they are just sub-contracted to run the service, and they had been briefed that they would be receiving a lot of flak over this.

If they are that confident that the service is useful and commercially viable, why do they use an opt-in policy, instead of buying dodgy lists.

Cheers, Des.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 9:26am

From what I saw on BBC news, the company offering this "service" claimed there was a way to opt out of it - does anyone know what this is?   This just goes to prove my refusal to put my mobile no on forms (seems by my children as probable pananoia I suspect!) is perfectly justified.  Another thought occurred to me, if I am abroad & am sent a text by this lot asking me to call someone (probably someone to whom I do not wish to speak otherwise I would have given them my mobile no) presumably I will be charged for receiving this text.   Also, the number of junk texts will be huge - currently if I receive a text I know it is from someone close & is probably urgent, with this system, it could be anyone.  Does anyone know from whom they have got the mobile nos?  I know that even so-called reputable organisations (eg County Councils) pass on/sell contact details of, for example, school governors, without permission as this happened to a fellow governor of mine, one may have given such organisations a mobile number in good faith, never dreaming that could be abused in such a way.  To me, this is a potential nightmare & how the Information Commissioner can say it isn't a breach of privacy defeats me.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 9:46am

From their FAQs

Can I be ex-directory with 118 800?

You can become ex-directory by texting the letter ‘E’ to 118800 from the mobile phone you want to be made ex-directory or you can call us on 0800 138 6263. Standard network charges apply. The first time 118 800 contacts you you will be sent an SMS reminding you about how to become ex-directory. Please allow up to 4 weeks for your ex-directory request to take effect.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 2:31pm

Hmm.... thanks Sherbert but it seems I would have to give them my mobile number which they may not already have & would I trust them to make it ex-directory or would they just add it to their database?   Think I'll wait & see what happens, if I get a text from them, I'll know they've got the no & then can go ex-directory.

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 6:18pm

Barbara wrote on Jun 11th, 2009 at 2:31pm:
Hmm.... thanks Sherbert but it seems I would have to give them my mobile number which they may not already have & would I trust them to make it ex-directory or would they just add it to their database?   Think I'll wait & see what happens, if I get a text from them, I'll know they've got the no & then can go ex-directory.

I think it stands to reason that if you text them to go ex-directory and they don't already know the number you're texting from, then even if they add your number to their database they still don't know who you are, so it'd be impossible for them to give it out on an enquiry.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 8:10pm

As a matter of principle I have concerns about this service. The information this company holds was provided for the purposes of marketing products and services to those on the list.

This company is using it to provide a service and profit from others.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 6:13pm

Having been invited to comment, I will offer some thoughts, although I have not studied this issue in any depth.

This seems to be an attempt to address the problem caused by the fact that there has never been any proper arrangements for the assembly of a proper directory database of mobile numbers, with proper procedures to cover opting in or out.

Firstly, I address the "privacy" issues raised by this service.

I personally have my name, address and (main landline) telephone number listed in the normal telephone directory. I see no reason why this information should not be publicly available, despite the fact that some banks are content to steal my identity by granting it to anyone who accesses this information.

Being engaged in society I have no problem with the basic fact that I receive unsolicited communications. These are sometimes welcome, even though they are mostly worthless. I am able to apply filtering mechanisms for my convenience and do so. I nonetheless fully respect the right of anyone (individual or corporate) who wishes to opt out from their contact information being available in certain forms.

The ICO (which is not a government body, contrary to the false statement on the 118800 website) enforces regulations designed to protect the right to privacy. Although its enforcement policies are hopelessly weak, as they are based on a consumerist approach, I find its principles of what is acceptable to be generally sound.

As ever, the devil is doubtless in the detail of how the information is collected and used. If I became aware of a problem I would look into this very carefully and take up the issues with the ICO.

Secondly, from the perspective of the service user.

PhonePayPlus is a self-regulatory body. To my mind any such body has an inherent conflict of interest which must make its role as a regulator an alternative to, not a means of implementing, statutory regulation.

Excessive advertising has happily communicated the fact that 118 numbers belong to commercial services, rather than being inclusive with one's telephone service (like printed directories). I would doubt that anyone would contact 118 800 without being aware of the fact that they were entering into a commercial arrangement and so the principle of caveat emptor must apply. Any misrepresentation that is found would be a matter for Ofcom (via PhonePayPlus) or Trading Standards.

A quick response to the concern about a request to be ex-directory causing details to be added. As with the TPS, there is no confirmation of the authority to add the number to the list. An ex-directory request could only be used to add to the directory if the name and address were already held as they do not need to be supplied. Furthermore, one could make such a request for any number. It is however likely that measures are in place to detect mass requests for every number in a range. (When BT started passing on TPS registrations with the launch of its BT Privacy service, there were allegations that it was registering numbers without request, simply to protect its existing customers from being recruited by telephone by its competitors - that was its commercial justification for BT Privacy.)

I hope these comments are of interest to members.

IP Logged

tadg

UK
Reply #11 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 11:57am

See this link for an alternative analysis http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=22629373#post22629373

Yes, the current regulatory framework is a mess and needs to reflect changes in technology and business models .. but at the heart of all this are individuals and it is their choice what happens to their data ..  this service should be based on  opt-in .. why isn't it - because very few people would opt-in to it.

There is already a national directory database ... as described in the above post.

As for the company behind this .. here are some of their thoughts about UK Mobile operators ..
"Mobile Network Operators are manipulating their privacy obligations in such a way that consumers are not being given the opportunity to choose whether or not have their numbers included in a directory service.”  REALLY - what choice has Connectivity given those it has automatically included in its directory service?

“Ofcom must act now and mandate that MNOs operate privacy friendly policies which are consistent and which provide consumers with a clear and unambiguous choice regarding inclusion in a directory service.”  REALLY? Mobile operators do currently offer choice and it is OPt-IN.

It is clearly time for some regulatory clarity and action

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #12 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 11:59am

Is it possible for individuals to find out if they are listed without having to incur any charges?

Also, if you request your number be removed, then what happens if it is 'sold' to them in another database? In order not to list your number ever again, they will have to keep your number (on another list).

So, if you don't want to be listed, your data (mobile phone number) must be stored with them. What if you don't want them to have that? They might add your number to the 'directory'.
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2009 at 12:03pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

tadg

UK
Reply #13 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 12:53pm

It's difficult to see how anyone can confirm if they are listed without incurring a charge .. their online service doesn't appear to work that well.

Good point about removing a number and the company buying it again from another source.  Well, everyone has the right under the e_privacy regs or the Data protection act to ask Connectivity to remove their data .. Connectivity has 20 days to say whether it will or not .... interesting issues here. They might argue for example, that it is in their 'legitimate' interests NOT to delete the data and retain it so that they can ensure an individual is not contacted via the service and is made XD.  This is why there needs to be a proper regulatory review of this service!

What is needed is for some people to exercise their 'subject access rights' under Section 7.1 of the Data protection Act and not ask for what is held by Connectivity but also where the company obtained the data from .. this will help get to the root of the problem and assess the legitimacy of how data have been obtained and used

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #14 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 1:02pm

tadg wrote on Jun 20th, 2009 at 12:53pm:
Good point about removing a number and the company buying it again from another source.

The same issue crops up with companies holding our data in general. You request your address to be removed from a particular company's marketing list.

Does that company retain your address on another list to screen it against future lists of contact details it obtains?

tadg wrote on Jun 20th, 2009 at 12:53pm:
They might argue for example, that it is in their 'legitimate' interests NOT to delete the data and retain it so that they can ensure an individual is not contacted via the service and is made XD.

Is this allowed for due to the reasons I've highlighted? In this case, would they be limited to storing the mobile telephone number only, with no information as to whose it is?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge