Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do we know we can trust these numbers? (Read 8,215 times)
TrustNoOne

How do we know we can trust these numbers?
Jun 17th, 2009 at 12:31pm

Hello all,

I've used this site a few times over the years, but just signed up today.

I've noticed that there are a lot of numbers provided for banks and similar financial institutions.  The question is - how much checking is done to make sure that these numbers are genuine before they're listed here?  I don't see what stops a fraudster from creating an entry for their own geographic or 0800 number, listing it under "XYZ Bank Helpline".  Whenever anyone calls, they say "XYZ Bank, how can I help you", and off they go towards getting your authentication details.  

So, what steps are made to verify that the number that is answered "XYZ  Bank" actually *is" XYZ Bank, before it's listed here?

Thanks,

TrustNoOne
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2009 at 12:56pm by TrustNoOne »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: How do we know we can trust these numbers?
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 5:15pm

Alternative numbers for banks are shown on credit cards and other documents as being for overseas use.

IP Logged

TrustNoOne

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 5:20pm

Dave wrote on Jun 18th, 2009 at 5:15pm:
Alternative numbers for banks are shown on credit cards and other documents as being for overseas use.

Hi - thanks for the reply.  However, this doesn't really address the point.  The numbers you mention are a good source of alternative numbers, but the question is "what steps are being taken on the site to prevent fraudsters adding bogus numbers?"

BTW - Just to clarify, I'm all in favour of the site and the fight to get rid of 0870 numbers, but the whole site could get badly tarnished if anyone does use it as part of a scam.

Regards,

TrustNoOne

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 5:30pm

Confirmed numbers are numbers that have been confirmed by either by the administrators or reported as being correct by members of the forum. I would assume that administrators would make other checks before confirming numbers reported by, for example, new forum members.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

TrustNoOne

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 9:15pm

jgxenite wrote on Jun 18th, 2009 at 5:30pm:
Confirmed numbers are numbers that have been confirmed by either by the administrators or reported as being correct by members of the forum. I would assume that administrators would make other checks before confirming numbers reported by, for example, new forum members.

But, as you say, that's an assumption - is it actually the case, or is just anyone allowed to confirm a number?  I'd also *assumed* that there would be some checks made until I wanted a bank number the other day and then thought "just a minute, how do I know that's genuine?"

In addition to the issue of who is allowed to confirm these numbers, there's the question is how exactly it is done  Just ringing the number and seeing if it's answered "Hello, XYZ Bank" doesn't confirm that it really *is* XYZ bank - any good fraudster will make sure that this happens every time the phone rings.  The checks need to be more stringent than that, for numbers that are financially-related.

This question really needs looking at.  It's only a matter of time before someone tries a scam like this - the potential rewards are just too high.  And if it happens, this site could get a *lot* of bad press.

Regards,

TrustNoOne

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 9:32pm

Only administrators can confirm numbers. Normal users can add numbers to the unconfirmed database, but obviously you have to take those with a pinch of salt.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 9:38am

He has a point though .. and I'd certainly never thought of it before.  

It's not just banks, but anywhere that you would phone up and, say, give a credit card number to, are susceptable to impersonation.  Just look at how many phishing websites there are coming and going..

I think the OP is worried about people submitting numbers they can answer themselves and pretend to be a Bank, or whomever, but the person answering the call would have to know exactly how the bank does it, and take a user through security the same way, to avoid alerting the caller that there is something wrong..

The worst thing is, I can already think of at least two ways to create a 'fake' number for any institution you like which wouldn't alert the caller at all, and either way would take me less than ten minutes to set up.  I guess I'd best not specify exactly how!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge