Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Totally lost on the site...... (Read 10,042 times)
lavender

none

Wiltshire
Totally lost on the site......
Sep 29th, 2009 at 5:17pm

I always have such difficulty in posting anything.  Angry    It's taken me AGES to suss out that I have to be signed in to be able to post.   It doesn't say that on any of the pages does it?
I have also ticked the 'Keep logged in for Always' but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Also, as I have read in a post, the subjects are too broad.     I often want to tell you that a geo number you have listed is not available - where do I do that ?    Where is the Forum page for that ?
Today I want to tell you it is for Curry's in Salisbury - the 01722 number you give as below, has the 'un-obtainable sound.'
Currys  0870 609 7137  0844 561 6263  01722 414508    Salisbury - Southampton Road (2115)
Please Dave, make it easier !!!
Thanks.

lavender

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Re: Totally lost on the site......
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 5:31pm

Easiest way is to 'search Currys' and then reply to the last post there.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 8:08pm

lavender wrote on Sep 29th, 2009 at 5:17pm:
I always have such difficulty in posting anything.  Angry    It's taken me AGES to suss out that I have to be signed in to be able to post.   It doesn't say that on any of the pages does it?
I have also ticked the 'Keep logged in for Always' but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Below the SAYNOTO0870.COM banner at the top of the forum pages it gives your name. If it says "Hey, lavender…" then you are logged in, else if it says "Welcome, Guest…" then you are not.

If it won't keep you logged in, then delete the cookie on your computer and it will recreate it. The cookie is a file or note kept on your computer that remembers you so that the next time you visit the site it looks at the cookie and knows you are lavender.

Sometimes they get damaged, so the simplest way to sort this is to delete the cookie and let the computer recreate it.

Post here if you would like help with this. Are you using Internet Explorer (IE)? What version of IE do you have? I ask because the procedure is different on different versions. To find out what version it is, go to the Help menu and select About Internet Explorer.

Also, as I have read in a post, the subjects are too broad.     I often want to tell you that a geo number you have listed is not available - where do I do that ?    Where is the Forum page for that ?

The Geographical Requests is the best place for this as are notifications to us of numbers that are currently unverified that are suitable alternatives and therefore can be verified. I agree and have suggested to site admin that the annotations explaining what each section is for need amending.

The reason for using the requests section for this purpose is because it may be relevant/helpful to finding a new alternative.

Alternatively, you can send me a private message for any updates, removals and verifications.

Today I want to tell you it is for Curry's in Salisbury - the 01722 number you give as below, has the 'un-obtainable sound.'
Currys  0870 609 7137  0844 561 6263  01722 414508    Salisbury - Southampton Road (2115)

Thanks, I've removed this entry.

There are two entries, both currently unverified, for Old George Mall branch: 01722 416380 and 01722 320588. You might like to try these and let us know how you get on. They may be both for the same branch or one could be for one branch and the other for the other. One branch might give you the proper number for the other local one you are after.
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2009 at 8:30pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2009 at 6:25am

Taking certain quite valid aspects of lavender's post further I believe that in the results lookup page for geographic alternative numbers there should be a "Report Defunct Number" button or similar against every entry (verified or unverified) that allows anyone to easily report a number in the list that appears to be inaccurate.

I think it is unreasonable to expect ordinary users of the site to have to register in the forum and to know that they should have to use the Geographical Requests section just to report a bad phone number in our database.

<div style=

IP Logged

catj

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 11:42am

That's a great idea.

I'd have that as part of an 'amend listing' option with a box for users to type additional information that appears in yet another column (perhaps only visible to moderators) to the right of the existing Notes column.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 12:35pm

catj wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 11:42am:
I'd have that as part of an 'amend listing' option with a box for users to type additional information that appears in yet another column (perhaps only visible to moderators) to the right of the existing Notes column.

However one could possibly get in to a wikipedia like malicious edits type situation with an organisation like Sky that does not wish any geographic alternative phone numbers for its oranisation to be listed by this website........

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 1:24pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 12:35pm:
catj wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 11:42am:

However one could possibly get in to a wikipedia like malicious edits type situation with an organisation like Sky that does not wish any geographic alternative phone numbers for its oranisation to be listed by this website........

Which could be why we are where we are now. How can a suitable solution be implemented?

I said above that the best way to notify of updates and additions to the database is through the Geographical Requests section because, as the site works at the moment, that is the most effective way of getting numbers changed and therefore improving the accuracy of the database with the setup as it is now.

I am also happy to receive private messages from regular members for any updates.
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2009 at 1:25pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 2:09pm

Dave wrote on Oct 19th, 2009 at 1:24pm:
I said above that the best way to notify of updates and additions to the database is through the Geographical Requests section because, as the site works at the moment, that is the most effective way of getting numbers changed and therefore improving the accuracy of the database with the setup as it is now.

Would it perhaps be useful to add a note to that effect on the geographic alternatives lookup web page with a link to the section of the forum to make such a geographical request in?

Also couldn't a button to report a bad number in the database without being able to actually amend it also be helpful to the work of DaveM?   That is assuming of course that DaveM still actually does anything on the site these days other than make uncalled for and very rude insults to forum members who make a perfectly polite post asking for help in finding a geographic alternative phone number. Wink

<div style=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge