Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Ofcom and Silent Calls (Read 77,275 times)
SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Ofcom and Silent Calls
Oct 22nd, 2009 at 8:34pm

I will be happy for this thread to be removed if the topic it is not seen to be valid.

Silent Calls are however commonly mentioned and a bit of Ofcom-bashing always goes down well in the forum.

Notwithstanding my primary commitment to issues close to the heart of forum members, I have been drawn back onto some old territory.

I trust that I am not breaching any embargo by stating that the BIS department recently announced that it would shortly be conducting a consultation on a request from Ofcom for the maximum penalty available for use against those making Silent Calls to be increased again. The issue will be covered by the BBC on Breakfast TV shortly after 8am tomorrow morning - Friday 23 October.

My own view is that an increased penalty may have some deterrent effect, however the size if its weapon is not the primary reason for Ofcom's failure to satisfy parliament. When the last increase to the maximum penalty was granted in 2006 it came with the demand "we expect you to use your powers to eradicate the nuisance of Silent Calls".

Ofcom has simply used the increased penalty to take long delayed punitive action against a few who have breached its guidelines, which do not simply cover Silent Calls anyway. Ofcom continues to misuse its powers, taking many months over a few extensive investigations rather than taking immediate and proportionate action in response to complaints from victims.

As I did in 2006, I will oppose the increase being granted, except on the condition that Ofcom corrects its guidelines to focus properly on the issue of Silent Calls and starts using its powers in the way that they are framed, rather than pretending to be a regulator of those who are not providers of telecommunications services.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Re: Ofcom and Silent Calls
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2009 at 8:53pm

I have just started getting a load of silent calls and as I am on the Telephone Preferance Service, I assume these are coming from abroad, which I believe Ofcom have no powers to do anything about, and I have to put up with them (the calls) until they move on to another block of numbers and pester those subscribers.

If I am right, then all the UK based companies that have been pestering us over the years have moved their call centers overseas out of the reaches of the UK authorities.

I hope this issue will be also covered in the forthcoming debate.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2009 at 11:35pm

sherbert wrote on Oct 22nd, 2009 at 8:53pm:
I have just started getting a load of silent calls and as I am on the Telephone Preferance Service, I assume these are coming from abroad, which I believe Ofcom have no powers to do anything about, and I have to put up with them (the calls) until they move on to another block of numbers and pester those subscribers.

If I am right, then all the UK based companies that have been pestering us over the years have moved their call centers overseas out of the reaches of the UK authorities.

I hope this issue will be also covered in the forthcoming debate.

Ofcom has made it clear that the location of the call centre (home or overseas) makes no difference to the responsibility of any company with a UK presence not to "make" Silent Calls. Simply contracting with an off-shore rather than an on-shore call centre makes no difference.

Calls from overseas may however be more difficult to trace and a caller from overseas with no UK presence cannot be subject to UK law, although there are reciprocal arrangements within the EU.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 7:51am

However, as it is a silent call and the number  is annonymous, it is a bit difficult to  know if the call center or company has a UK presence.

It has got to be difficult to know where the call is coming from and as I said I can only assume that mine are coming from abroad as I am with the TPS.

So, how do we manage to stop/report them? BT can't do anything unless you know the number.

See here for the latest......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/6408229/Silent-cold-callers-...
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2009 at 8:31am by sherbert »  

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 9:11am

Off topic I know but I would value some advice and information.   We are on TPS and have recently started to receive a number of those automated calls where an electronic voice babbles on for ages and you can't cut off the call even by replacing the receiver.   What is the "official" title of this sort of call and under whose jurisdiction does it come?  There is never a number on 1471 and it is often impossible to understand the name of any company, if given.  They seem largely to relate to sales & debt companies.   They are an appalling nuisance so any ideas on what action the subscriber can take would be welcome.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 9:34am

Barbara wrote on Oct 23rd, 2009 at 9:11am:
Off topic I know but I would value some advice and information.   We are on TPS and have recently started to receive a number of those automated calls where an electronic voice babbles on for ages and you can't cut off the call even by replacing the receiver.   What is the "official" title of this sort of call and under whose jurisdiction does it come?  There is never a number on 1471 and it is often impossible to understand the name of any company, if given.  They seem largely to relate to sales & debt companies.   They are an appalling nuisance so any ideas on what action the subscriber can take would be welcome.

Well, I complained to BT about this very subject and also about an abusive call from a company when I said I did not want to know.

BT say they are 'powerless', unless we know who is making the call. They said change your number if you want, but as one member said on thos forum previously, that is a waste of time, as when they (the caller)  have finished with one block of numbers, they move on to another and your new number could be one of them

Has SilentCallsVictim any solution to this problem as he is very knowledgable on this subject?
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2009 at 9:35am by sherbert »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2009 at 9:56am

I have been awakened from my semi-retirement from the Silent Calls campaign in contributing to broadcast coverage this morning, and possibly to be repeated on the BBC News Channel through the day. I am now getting geared up to deal with a flow of requests for information such as those posted here, that has already started. I will shortly be publishing some updated information for general use on the web, covering the points raised here.

If members bear with me for a few hours, I hope to post again with some relevant links.

In the meantime, I will be happy to think about points that may may need to be covered. Contact me by PM or email, or post to this thread if appropriate.

N.B. I will not be totally distracted from the main focus of my campaigning activity.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 10:37am

I see that BT offer this service....Anonymous Call RejectBlock calls from withheld or anonymous numbers

as they explain.....

If a caller withholds their number, they will not be able to get through to you. They will only be able to get through if they reveal their number.

Anonymous Call Reject will not bar incoming calls when the number is 'unavailable' (when the caller has not made any attempt to withhold their number). This can happen in a number of cases, like, for example, if the call originates from an overseas provider.

However it comes at a price....wait for it......

£3.91 a month

Which I would guess is ex VAT.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 11:25am

sherbert wrote on Oct 24th, 2009 at 10:37am:
I see that BT offer this service....Anonymous Call RejectBlock calls from withheld or anonymous numbers

This is NOT the answer to Silent Calls. Many Silent Callers use genuine CLI, others use false CLI to get around this feature.

There are also many genuine calls where a CLI is not provided. Some individuals (e.g. MP's) withhold their personal numbers as standard. Some organisations (e,g, the BBC) do this as a matter of policy, not to hide, but simply because they cannot guarantee a direct dial number to enable someone who misses a call to find out why they were calling. This policy may affect individuals calling from their workplace. There are also many other wanted calls that could be missed, e,g, from friends abroad or calling from a hotel; there may also be cases where helpful calls in emergency type situations would not get through.

I have long maintained that whilst CLI can be a useful positive feature for various purposes, is not the answer to anything and it should NOT be mandated as a general rule. It is far less relevant to the issue of Silent Calls than many claim. It certainly does not identify the "caller". Nor does if even offer a gauaranteed means of identifying the caller and the purpose of the call for those who are preared to spend lots of time and money trying to investigate.

This will be one of the topics that I will be covering when I get my new Blog fully loaded with information.

IT IS NOW OPEN - http://scvictim.blogspot.com/.

There is some stuff there already, much more will follow and it will keep changing. Feeds are available for those who want to keep up to date.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 4:22pm

But Ofcom must have the power to force BT to deliver CLI (even if they cannot guarantee its veracity).  That would eliminate the 'International' calls which you don't know whether to answer or not (could be a friend using 18185 or the like or could be an Indian call centre).

I get a CLI for all but 'Private' numbers on my mobile (I can recognise at least which country a call is coming from) so why aren't BT forced to do likewise?
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2009 at 4:22pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 4:34pm

Heinz wrote on Oct 24th, 2009 at 4:22pm:

But Ofcom must have the power to force BT to deliver CLI (even if they cannot guarantee its veracity).  That would eliminate the 'International' calls which you don't know whether to answer or not (could be a friend using 18185 or the like or could be an Indian call centre).

I get a CLI for all but 'Private' numbers on my mobile (I can recognise at least which country a call is coming from) so why aren't BT forced to do likewise?

I don't know, but as I said in a previous post, when I did ask BT to do something about an abusive 'with held' number call, they said it was impossible for them to do anything unless I gave them a number. Whether they were just fobbing me off I don't know.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 6:15pm

Heinz wrote on Oct 24th, 2009 at 4:22pm:

I don't understand the question. The main fixed and mobile telephone providers do provide CLI services though. Huh

IP Logged

terryhickmott

Reply #12 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 5:50pm

I received a silent call from 0871 265 9865 on Saturday. After a bit of research I find that they're a firm of warranty salesmen who seem to have gotten wind that I had a repair on my Skybox recently. I've had a couple of letters from them, and now the call on Saturday, during which you could hear the receiver being replaced after I answered the call. The caller-number didn't come up on the display at the time, but is listed in the received calls part of my phone.

First of all what can I do to report them for using silent calls? Secondly, has someone broken the rules regarding issuing my address & phone number to a third party? This could be either Sky or the firm who Sky sub-let the repair to.

I'm ex-directory and on the TPS.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Nov 4th, 2009 at 8:42am

More on silent calls from today's Daily Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/64943...

Looks as if Ofcom is allowing more silent calls as they have changed the rules

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 3:05pm

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge