<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DWP number needed (Read 14,077 times)
natalie

DWP number needed
Nov 4th, 2009 at 11:53am

iam trying to find a local number for the jobcentre plus at earlsway gateshead, newcastle upon tyne.
the only number i can find is 08456088692.
i have looked on here for numbers for jobcentre plus site but when i have rang them they give me the 0845 number.
thank you
nats

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: DWP number needed
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2009 at 12:05pm

natalie wrote on Nov 4th, 2009 at 11:53am:
iam trying to find a local number for the jobcentre plus at earlsway gateshead, newcastle upon tyne.
the only number i can find is 08456088692.
i have looked on here for numbers for jobcentre plus site but when i have rang them they give me the 0845 number.
thank you
nats

Which numbers have you tried on here????????? We don't posess psychic powers.

Why do you ask for help but don't bother to help those helping you? How am I supposed to know which you have tried?

Let's suppose I was to suggest a number from our list and you respond by saying you have already tried that. Had you said in the first place then I wouldn't have wasted my effort to help you and could have spent that time looking elsewhere.

Finally, the Geographical Requests section is where this should go.

This website is all about everyone pooling their resources and people helping others. Yet some think it's a one way street where "free" help is given by those at SAYNOTO0870.COM. No need to give consideration to helping them.  Angry
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2009 at 12:07pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

natalie

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2009 at 12:59pm

i thought this website was about people helping each other to try and find numbers not to have a go at people just asking for help.
if you dont want to help then fine dont help but can you not insult me as well as there is no need for that.
also when you put jobcentre plus number in here  it comes up with a long list of numbers for the job centre and thats what i mean by trying them i rang the jobcentre plus number up for gateshead and the number given was 0845 which i have.
i did explain which number i was after if you read what i put down.
ok so i was in the wrong section wow big deal it does happen people on your site can put a message in the wrong section its not the end of the world.plus if anybody did want my help i would help them.
also i do volunteer work for the samaritans so dont tell me i dont help people.

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2009 at 5:32pm

Natalie,

I think what Dave is trying to say is: if you list the numbers you tried, and the responses you got (e.g. if it was answered by a person who said it was the wrong department and told you to ring the 0845, then what department was it that answered?  Or if it was a recording, menu system,  unavailable, etc.,)  then the database can be amended so that future people looking won't have the same problems, or can choose more relevant numbers.  It's only with feedback like that can we refine the database and make things work better for everybody.

It also helps when searching for new numbers to know what's already been tried, so when we find a number it can be discounted rather than being suggested to you, as that only wastes time, both yours and ours, as we wait to see if it's any good for you. 

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2009 at 8:27pm

Thanks irrelevant, that's what I was thinking.

Others looking will find that they have joy as well. That's because they remain listed as we have not been told that they are not suitable.

This wastes others' time and effort as they go along the same road but no-one speaks up. It means that the SAYNOTO0870.COM database is not accurate as it may be.

The quality of the database relies on users' feedback.
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2009 at 8:34pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 8:44am

[quote author=natalie link=1257335640/0#2 date=1257339541]
also i do volunteer work for the samaritans

In that case perhaps you could ask them why the Samirtans have an 0845 number  Roll Eyes on their home page Wink

IP Logged

mike_gordon

Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 12:53pm

I can confirm that DWP numbers listed for the alternative to  0845 915 1515  do not work, some Helpline. They drop out with "Number not recognised" message. The number for overseas callers just rings out.  Obviously a government ploy to stop people getting through and costing them more money claiming for winter fuel allowance.

A serious point, though, is there an official government explanation why they use these numbers and not offer geographical alternatives?

Mike

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 1:24pm

mike_gordon wrote on Nov 5th, 2009 at 12:53pm:
A serious point, though, is there an official government explanation why they use these numbers and not offer geographical alternatives?

The majority of calls to the DWP are from landlines. It is assumed that these are all from BT, or others who follow its charging structure which makes 0845 numbers the same (if inclusive) or cheaper to call.

The problem with mobiles is recognised and receiving attention as second in priority to the issue with the 0800 numbers.

Slow progress is being made in getting the point across. Job Centre Plus now offers to return all calls from mobiles to 0845 and 0800 numbers. This is a standing instruction to all agents, all of whom get to see the caller's number -  when it is not withheld. The difference with Virgin Media (and other landlines providers) and 0845 is now recognised.

As with all 0845 issues, once more people start signing up to BT Unlimited Anytime then it will be easier to press for a change to 0300. For non-inclusive BT customers 0845 calls are considerably cheaper. Dual numbering is not considered good practice as it can cause confusion. I say that if someone wants to give an alternative to their 03xx number for those who may benefit from a perverse tariff, then they should feel free to do so. A reluctance to offer that facility is no justification for benefitting from revenue share at the expense of other callers.

Conversations continue at various levels. A strong point about the statistical evidence has been acknowledged. I have invited consideration of the "chicken and egg" question. How many service users who have a mobile cannot afford to call the 0845 numbers and so have to seek help from friends and neighbours with landlines? Insofar as this is what happens, it is disgrace to cause people to suffer this loss of dignity when contacting a public service. Given the considerable cost (or impossibility) of someone reliant on benefits acquiring a landline, it is quite likely that the actual figures of calls would not tally with the likely typical phone usage of service users. This could be a case where hard facts actually hide the truth!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2009 at 2:47pm

mike_gordon wrote on Nov 5th, 2009 at 12:53pm:
I can confirm that DWP numbers listed for the alternative to  0845 915 1515  do not work, some Helpline. They drop out with "Number not recognised" message. The number for overseas callers just rings out.  Obviously a government ploy to stop people getting through and costing them more money claiming for winter fuel allowance.

Mike, thanks for the feedback. I have now removed these Cardiff numbers. Further comments have been posted on the relevant alternative request thread for Winter Fuel Payments which can be found here.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge