Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
geographic number for dvla swansea (Read 56,840 times)
puffin369

geographic number for dvla swansea
Feb 15th, 2010 at 4:18pm

After nearly losing my little remaining sanity trying to contact a human being at dvla I finally found a number which,after a brief and acceptable pause,is answered by a real person,please make it available to all,it's 01792 XXXXXX,phew,Steven.

Admin - 01792 number removed as no longer used by DVLA
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2015 at 11:16pm by Forum Admin »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: geographic number for dvla swansea
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 4:29pm

puffin369 wrote on Feb 15th, 2010 at 4:18pm:
After nearly losing my little remaining sanity trying to contact a human being at dvla I finally found a number which,after a brief and acceptable pause,is answered by a real person,please make it available to all,it's 01792 XXXXXX,phew,Steven.

Hi and welcome to SAYNOTO0870.COM.

There is no reason for alternatives to the DVLA's published numbers because they are all 0300 ones! Maybe overseas callers would need them, but for calls from within the UK, the 0300 numbers are the best way to get in touch.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2015 at 11:16pm by Forum Admin »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2010 at 5:15pm

Perhaps somebody would like to start up SAYNOTOIVR.COM.

Many supporters of SAYNOTO0870 would support the cause. It may however be more difficult to get hold of alternative numbers that are truly suitable. In most cases the aternatives would be a very long list with wordy explanations.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2010 at 12:13am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Feb 15th, 2010 at 5:15pm:
Perhaps somebody would like to start up SAYNOTOIVR.COM.

Many supporters of SAYNOTO0870 would support the cause. It may however be more difficult to get hold of alternative numbers that are truly suitable. In most cases the aternatives would be a very long list with wordy explanations.

Such a website has been set-up, although it has a different name. I have no idea how effective it is, but we have covered it here and hereWink
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2010 at 12:14am by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2010 at 4:37am

Dave wrote on Feb 16th, 2010 at 12:13am:
Such a website has been set-up, although it has a different name.

The website in question mostly contains shortcuts for use after accessing a IVR menu, although there are a few exceptions.

I understood that the suggestion was for a database of numbers that gave direct access to a human being without having to deal with a menu. The natural companion for this would be a campaign for organisations to provide this type of access as standard.

I personally can see the potential for all to benefit from call centres and "multi-competent" agents. This should not however prohibit or impede the possibility of taking the time to look up a direct number for a particular (truly competent) representative, or taking it upon oneself to bypass lots of unnecessary messages and tiers of menu to immediately join a queue for the known department or function that one wishes to contact. The other important feature, which again should be accessible directly if one chooses, is to leave a simple request for a call back when the call centre is not "dealing with an exceptionally high volume of calls".

If a call centre were to offer such a premium quality service then there may perhaps be less of problem in paying a premium rate to call it. I would see the need for such a campaign to be separate from that against revenue sharing, as the emphasis would be on the issue of quality rather than simply that of cost.

IP Logged

nedsram

Near Stockport, Cheshire
Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 2:51pm

I used the geographic number puffin369 mentioned, after being unable to get through to the 0300 number (or any other 0300 number) all day at work. Option 5 on the menu got me straight through to a real person. So far so good.

She then asked me to hold while she transferred me to the "right department". Which turned out to be the 0300 menu driven system, where I had to trawl through no fewer than 5 menus of up to 6 options, none of which seemed to address my particular issue, until I finally got to speak to somebody. Now I know why puffin369 was close to losing his sanity. At least at the end of it all there was a nice sing-song Welsh accent to listen to.  Smiley

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 8:10pm

Perhaps it's time to give the DVLA/DfT some "feedback" about how to run a customer drivern service???

I'd recommend starting here

It's an online form, save's calling them to get stressed.

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

nedsram

Near Stockport, Cheshire
Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 9:16pm

Thanks. I've completed that form. In fact with good reason. My wife got a personalised numberplate, but a month later got a tax disc renewal notice with the old registration number. That's why I wanted to phone in the first place. When I finally got through to the web site - which unbelievably was down for "urgent maintenance" at least between 1pm and 4pm - I found that I couldn't re-register the vehicle because there was no record of an MOT test certificate for the new registration number. Apparently it isn't part of their procedure to update MOT information to reflect a change in the registration number of the vehicle concerned.

If they were a private company they would go out of business within days.  Angry
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2011 at 9:20pm by nedsram »  

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 12:04pm

Further to the above, I wanted to warn people that you have to be very careful when googling dvla to contact them; the first hit is actually some dodgy site that uses 09040 XXX XXX as a contact, I am concerned that people in a hurry could be conned into using this number without realising what it is, I seem to remember from previous forum threads there was something similar for the passport lot.   Isn't it about time govt did something about this?

Secondly, when going down and using the link from google to renew a tax disc, the directgov website uses the 0870 numbers for contact!   I didn't search any further as I know from this site that they use 03 numbers, but really, how out of date are they??

PS Has anyone else with a tax disc due to expire at the end of March not received their renewal?   Am I being over cynical in thinking these reminders have been deliberately held back to catch people out in the budget next week?   After all the govt could raise vehicle tax from midnight that night & catch all those who hadn't renewed early.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2015 at 11:15pm by Forum Admin »  

IP Logged

jamesbond

Suffolk
Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 2:42pm

Barbara,

If you did not have your reminder or even receive this for car tax disc, you can still renew it using one of the forms at the Post Office, taking along the appropriate MOT certificate and insurance certificate.

QED.

James Bond

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 3:27pm

Barbara,

With reference to DVLA/Taxing your car online.

My parents recently wanted to Tax their car online, to see how the service worked. After a few initial hicups they managed to get it right.  Dad receives an e-mail from DVLA/DfT regarding the posted disc and is informed if he has not recieved it in 5 working days to call them on a 0870 number.

Knowing that the letter from DVLA/DfT show's an 03 contact number, I e-mailed them pointing out the error. A few days later I recieved this "response" -

"As of 1 September 2009, and in line with OFCOM’s recommendations, DVLA has changed to 0300 numbers instead of 0870 numbers. Calls to 0300 numbers will cost the same as calls to geographic ones and be included as part of any inclusive call minutes or discount schemes for geographic numbers. This will apply to calls from any line. The 0300 and 0870 numbers will run side-by side, until a decision is made to permanently turn off the 0870 ones.

I can confirm that customers ringing the 0870 numbers now hear an automated message advising them that the number has changed to 0300, however, the customer will still be connected and charged at the 0300 rate for their call.

The Agency has many forms and leaflets, a number of which will still display the old telephone numbers. Due to cost efficiency, there is no destruction process and any literature bearing the old information is being changed as it comes up for renewal or amendment. DVLA will also be amending it's website's at the earliest opportunity."

I am interested is the statement regarding the cost of the call (0870 at 0300 rate) is true and intend to reply advising them the following:

If they have had an 03 number since 2009. why in 2011 does the automated e-mail STILL advise the 0870 number? Are they un-able/un-willing to amend a simple e-mail script?

How are they sure of the call cost of the 0870 number as apposed to the 03 one?

I will post back any responses.

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 5:05pm

Thanks, CJT-80, as I read the response I was thinking the same as you say at the end!   I don't actually want to tax my car online as I have a perfectly good post office nearby where I can tax it, & would rather put my business there & don't want to pay the credit card supplement (also having had a bad experience yesterday trying to book a hotel room online, I know these things don't always work & there is the legal risk with car tax).  I just let fly to DVLA on the comments form as I haven't received my renewal reminder, it is the first one due since we moved & we did get new registration docs at the new address, perhaps my cynicism as to the reason for lateness is misplaced, perhaps they're just plain incompetent???!!!!!!!!!!!  I also find it very odd that their FAQs don't have one relating to how to tax your car if you haven't received your reminder, it was be a very common occurrence.  I look forward to reading any response you receive.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 5:06pm

Thanks, James Bond, that is what we'll do if we have to, it just seems a little odd as we have always received the renewal reminder in the past, hence my suspicions.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 5:14pm

Barbara wrote on Mar 17th, 2011 at 5:05pm:
don't want to pay the credit card supplement

Barbara, you don't have to. You get the choice of credit or debit card and if you chose debit card there is no supplement.

I have taxed mine and my wife's car on line for many years now and have never had a problem. The tax disc is usually on the door mat within a couple of days.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 6:11pm

Thanks, sherbert, may give it a try, I just feel I want to support the local post office (I gather they have lost even more govt business now), particularly being new to the area (use it or lose it & we lost the PO where we used to live).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge