Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print
GP contract revised - "expensive" numbers banned (Read 173,219 times)
Keith

Surrey
Re: GP contract revised - "expensive" numbers bann
Reply #30 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 1:58pm

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #31 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 11:03pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Apr 5th, 2011 at 10:48pm:
Very interesting response to the consultation by the BMA GPC. It appears that Dr Buckman is living in a fantasy world and wishes Ofcom to make it true for him. I do hope that Ofcom will respond to his request for information and bring him down to earth with a bump.

With the deadline for compliance with the contract revisions now passed, I have published this document. It has been brought to the attention of media, MPs and PCTs, by circular messages.

There is nothing contentious, as it only contains links to NHS Choices and published telephone tariffs.

This information is freely available to anyone who wishes to take up any issue with their own PCT, surgery, MP or the media.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #32 - Apr 15th, 2011 at 5:50pm

A more accessible and featured version of the list of GPs in breach of their contracts has now been published.
  • The full document includes some waffle - PCT Clusters to enforce principle of "free at the point of need" before the NHS can move forward.
  • The fun starts with this league table by the newish "PCT Clusters", the 50-odd areas of England where the NHS will be managed for the next couple of years.
    The Department of Health has made it clear that it is for these bodies to sort out the mess that it refused to address properly.
  • The full list, which can be browsed geographically North to South, East to West shows the valid source of the data (on NHS Choices) along with relevant details.
    A
    hot feature
    is a link to the MP covering the location of each surgery.
Those who care about this must now put all possible pressure on the commissioning teams in the PCT Clusters to start enforcing the terms of the contract, which does prohibit use of non-geographic numbers (other than 03) if interpreted properly.

With parliament thinking again about the NHS reforms, understanding how things can already go wrong must provide a useful guide to the future.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
GPs in breach of contract using 084 numbers
Reply #33 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 3:43pm

As the deadline set by DH has now passed, many GP surgeries continue to charge more than the price of a geographic call by way of 084x numbers.

SilentCallsVictim's league table includes a comprehensive list of offending surgeries by area and parliamentary constituency.

I urge everyone to support this in any way they can, such as by getting publicity from local media, and contacting their MP.

IP Logged

speedy

Dartford
Reply #34 - Apr 29th, 2011 at 8:58pm

I have sent a mail to my local Dartford MP - awaiting reply - It seems to me that not only is the Cost Rate objectionable but these systems can queue acording to some posts for over 40 minutes - see lodden re water works problem - it is the overall cost of the call just to make appts. If these systems could be set to only queue 5 calls these would be more reasonable - then Patients would not be hit with £20 bill for apptountment call.

Could another Poll be set up to show Public opinion to MP's - the 2008 one had over 28,000 showing - and that would only be a small % - how many very Senior Patients have Computers - I am over 70 and know I am in a minority - but very lucky because I have excellant health so dont need to use Surgery yet .   How about Local Papers name and shame getting going

We have in Dartford 2 Surgeries using 0844 - Huntsman and Pilgrims Way - another Doctor under Pilgrims Way actual Roof uses 01322 which is mine -
I will try to get actual call costs from a friend that has to use one of these Surgeries

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #35 - May 1st, 2011 at 6:21am

speedy wrote on Apr 29th, 2011 at 8:58pm:
... It seems to me that not only is the Cost Rate objectionable but these systems can queue acording to some posts for over 40 minutes - see lodden re water works problem - it is the overall cost of the call just to make appts. If these systems could be set to only queue 5 calls these would be more reasonable - then Patients would not be hit with £20 bill for apptountment call.

I would not support a demand that those who make calls to Geographic Rate numbers without paying a call charge should perhaps be denied the opportunity to queue to wait to speak to a GP receptionist.

I recognise that those who pay for Geographic Rate calls and perhaps cannot afford to queue may be seen as being disadvantaged against those who have these calls as inclusive or are ready and able to pay to queue. I see that as being one of the many unfairnesses of life; it is not something which must be addressed by limiting use of a helpful and otherwise equitable feature - i.e. an orderly queue of callers waiting to get through in turn.

I certainly do not want to think about measures that may need to be taken if use of expensive numbers is to continue - it simply must not!

Could another Poll be set up to show Public opinion to MP's - the 2008 one had over 28,000 showing - and that would only be a small % - how many very Senior Patients have Computers - I am over 70 and know I am in a minority - but very lucky because I have excellant health so dont need to use Surgery yet.

With the GP contract revisions in place, I see no need to arrange a further petition to call for action on the call rate that may apply to calls to GPs. It is simply a matter of getting the PCTs (under threat of abolition) to do their jobs.

Many of those who have computers are able to book GP appointments and to make and monitor the progress of repeat subscriptions online, and so have less need to use the telephone to contact the surgery. (Not all practices offer this facility, but it is spreading.)

I will try to get actual call costs from a friend that has to use one of these Surgeries

The actual cost incurred by a patient in calling a 084 number is useful information for the practice, the PCT and the media.

I have published a table of illustrative costs with links to the published tariffs. This should be quite sufficient to demonstrate that the ban applies to all 084 numbers, however specific evidence may carry more weight, when it is readily available.

I do not want us to get into the consumerist situation where it is only the weight of complaints and specific cases that may require GPs to give up their expensive numbers. The NHS works on points of principle (whether that be for good or ill).

Local and national media coverage of this issue, since the 1 April deadline, is growing nicely and more is expected. Some of it has been discussed in this thread.

To help those who wish to follow the developing story, I have assembled a news feed for this specific topic, excluding my own published contributions which are seen in my general topic feed. The feed content is available to view by following this link. One may also "subscribe" (no charge) to receive updates as items are added, either by email or through a "feed viewer".

Members may wish to discuss these items in this forum, or simply draw attention to them for the benefit of those who use the forum as a "news digest".
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2011 at 5:04pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #36 - May 2nd, 2011 at 8:28am

Headline in todays Daily Mail ----

Ten million patients ripped off by GPs' 40p-a-minute phone lines

"Primary Care Trusts have been instructed to amend GP contracts to ensure that the cost of calls made to surgeries is no higher than calling a local number from a landline, which is around 4p a minute.

But even though family doctors have had more than 18 months to comply with the new rules, many have not done so.
"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1382565/10m-patients-ripped-GPs-40p-mi...

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #37 - May 2nd, 2011 at 8:41am

Headline in todays Kenilworth Weekly News ----

Company defends charges for calling GP practices

"....  a campaigner has called for an end to charging patients for calls - and warned that patients calling their surgery from mobile phones or landlines other than BT should check their charges.

Clarendon Lodge, Brese Avenue, Priory Medical Centre, Southam Surgery and Abbey Medical Centre all use Network Europe Group’s Surgery Line system to manage calls from patients, who can pay up to 41p if they call from some mobile phone providers
"

http://www.kenilworthweeklynews.co.uk/news/company_defends_charges_for_calling_g...

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #38 - May 2nd, 2011 at 8:45am

Headline in recent edition of "This is South Wales"  and the "South Wales Evening Post"  -----

Neath Port Talbot surgeries place a 'toll on sick'

"PATIENTS are being forced to dial premium rate phone numbers to get through to some Neath Port Talbot GP surgeries.

They say they are being given little option but to call through to 08 and 09 numbers for medical support, which can cost as much as 10p per minute, labelling the high cost as "a toll on the sick."

In Swansea, no GP practices have the lines in place, and an Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board spokeswoman said it would be meeting with the Neath Port Talbot practices which do in the next few weeks to discuss the topic again
."

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/phone-cost-toll-sick/article-3486320-deta...
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2011 at 8:51am by loddon »  
IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #39 - May 2nd, 2011 at 2:25pm

I have sent a mail to my local Dartford MP - awaiting reply - It seems to me that not only is the Cost Rate objectionable but these systems can queue acording to some posts for over 40 minutes - see lodden re water works problem - it is the overall cost of the call just to make appts. If these systems could be set to only queue 5 calls these would be more reasonable - then Patients would not be hit with £20 bill for apptountment call.

Could another Poll be set up to show Public opinion to MP's - the 2008 one had over 28,000 showing - and that would only be a small % - how many very Senior Patients have Computers - I am over 70 and know I am in a minority - but very lucky because I have excellant health so dont need to use Surgery yet .   How about Local Papers name and shame getting going

We have in Dartford 2 Surgeries using 0844 - Huntsman and Pilgrims Way - another Doctor under Pilgrims Way actual Roof uses 01322 which is mine -

ing
I have also written to my MP Dan Jarvis (Barnsley Central) I have been contacted by phone and they are writing to the relevent minister. I urge every body that is interested to write to their MP in regard to both surgery 0845 numbers and NHS 0845 umbers this will give the campsign legs

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #40 - May 2nd, 2011 at 9:08pm

bazzerfewi wrote on May 2nd, 2011 at 2:25pm:
I have also written to my MP Dan Jarvis (Barnsley Central) I have been contacted by phone and they are writing to the relevent minister. I urge every body that is interested to write to their MP in regard to both surgery 0845 numbers and NHS 0845 umbers this will give the campsign legs

I second this.

The question of whether GPs should be able to charge a premium or not is water under the bridge now. The outcome of the consultation two years ago was that patients should not pay more than the price of a geographic call and this was written into GPs' contracts.

The point to be put to MPs is that the terms of the contract must be enforced.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #41 - May 3rd, 2011 at 3:03am

Dave wrote on May 2nd, 2011 at 9:08pm:
The point to be put to MPs is that the terms of the contract must be enforced.

I would add that during this period of "pause and reflect" on the Health and Social Care Bill, it also draws the issue of the NHS being "free at the point of need" into the spotlight. There has so far been little discussion of what is necessary to protect this principle - especially as PCTs, who have the task of enforcing the terms of the contract, are to be abolished under the terms of the Bill as it stands.

Perhaps we should pause to see if they can do their job, and then think about how this may best be done in future, before we allow their formal abolition to be enshrined in statute. (Personally I have my doubts about contracted private sector GP consortium administrators checking up on consortium members and then reporting them to the National Commissioning Board to instigate civil action for a breach of contract.)

I have commented - PCT Clusters to enforce principle of "free at the point of need" before the NHS can move forward.

This blog posting introduces the list of surgeries in breach of their NHS contracts. Arranged by region and PCT Cluster, they are then grouped by parliamentary constituency with a link to the MP profile (including the email address). There is also a link to each NHS Choices entry, where patients of the practice may add a comment for publication and response. This was done to enable and encourage engagement.

What is needed now is for a Health Minister (Burns or Lansley) to make a clear public comment that any 084 number is bound to be more expensive for at least some NHS patients to call and that PCTs are expected to apply the terms of the GP contract on this basis. I would encourage MPs to press for this, whilst also making contact with their PCT.

NEG has now admitted that calls from mobiles and non-BT landlines are more expensive than equivalent calls to geographic numbers - this wrongly excludes BT Call Plan users, but it is enough for the purpose of establishing a breach of contract. A formal comment from a Minister will resolve the confusion caused by earlier statements that did not offer any opinion about whether 084 numbers were or were not more expensive. This has been taken to represent formal approval of their use, when there was no such intention!

The government must be threatened that if it fails to take decisive action on this vital issue, this must be taken as indicating that the commitment to the principle of "free at the point of need", so commonly repeated by Cameron and Lansley, is just meaningless words. It may sound tough, but one is only asking for a very simple statement of fact to be given ministerial endorsement.

(One hopes that a suitably worried Health Minister will not pause to consider the implications of such a comment for other government departments.)

I am somewhat embarrassed to refer to a newspaper editorial stating "This shameless exploitation of the vulnerable must cease". My comment taking issue with another piece on the same page (as I would with much that appears there) has not been published. A link is however to be found, along with other recent media coverage (and more that is expected to follow) in this feed.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Invitation to contribute to a TV Show
Reply #42 - May 3rd, 2011 at 1:28pm

I have been approached by the producer of a BBC TV show who would like to feature the filmed experiences of victims of GPs and their expensive telephone numbers as part of coverage of this story.

If anyone would like their contact details, or those of someone they know, passed on, please email or PM me.

IP Logged

speedy

Dartford
Reply #43 - May 11th, 2011 at 9:10pm

Dave

Have received your PM but Forum Rules that I need to make 5 posts to reply to PM direct  Sad   I dont believe I could make enough of a contribution - I am having dificulties getting call costs from person that has to phone 0844 but will keep trying.

However, some good news I have received a letter from House of Commons today and the our MP and has said :  Grin

quote "I have raised your concerns with the local Primary Care Trust and will provide you with a copy of the response that I receive"

Although I asked for Country wide support it looks that it is only going to be Local Support - I will wait for that response before taking it to the next stage - to the Local Papers

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #44 - May 12th, 2011 at 12:08am

speedy,

I have been in contact with my local MP, and PCT who both gave me almost useless answer's regarding the 0844 numbers. So you may get the same response.

Be prepared to keep going with this.

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge