Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print
GP contract revised - "expensive" numbers banned (Read 173,181 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: GP contract revised - "expensive" numbers bann
Reply #90 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 10:25am

NHS Solent has recently changed its 084 out of ours GP number to 0300 300 2012:

http://www.solent.nhs.uk/news_item.asp?fldID=285

http://www.andoveradvertiser.co.uk/news/9065339.A_new_number_for_out_of_hours_do...

Does anyone know what the old 084 number that this replaced is? I would like to list it in the database.

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #91 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 10:36am

Dave wrote on Jun 17th, 2011 at 10:25am:
Does anyone know what the old 084 number that this replaced is? I would like to list it in the database.

0844 811 3060?

http://www.solent.nhs.uk/page.asp?fldArea=18&fldMenu=9&fldSubMenu=0&fldKey=169

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #92 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 10:40am

kasg wrote on Jun 17th, 2011 at 10:36am:
Dave wrote on Jun 17th, 2011 at 10:25am:

0844 811 3060?

http://www.solent.nhs.uk/page.asp?fldArea=18&fldMenu=9&fldSubMenu=0&fldKey=169

Thanks. I've added it.  Smiley

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Abbey Medical Centre says no to 0844
Reply #93 - Jun 19th, 2011 at 1:57pm

Abbey Medical Centre of Abbey Road, NW8 has changed its 0844 number back to a local 020 number.

From its home page:
Quote:
Our Telephone Number Has Changed

What you  all have been waiting for we have changed our telephone number to

020 7604 2455

The number 0844 477 3568 is still live and does not have any redirector message.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #94 - Jun 20th, 2011 at 11:08am

Might be worth contacting them here and letting them know they need a message on their "old" 0844 number.

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

speedy

Dartford
Reply #95 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 1:01am

I received on 14th June a reply from my MP after I asked him on 29th April to Support stopping this illegal use of expensive 0844 GP Numbers, he contacted our West Kent PCT and enclosed a copy of their reply which in effect said they had reviewed this and were assured that :

" Generally calls made to NHS contractors using 0844 number should be charged at a local rate if calls are made from callers with a BT Standard Rate Tariff only. However if a customer is not on a Standard Rate Rariff their Service Provider can charge more for the call, if that is the case the customer should follow this up with their Service Provider as customers are informed of the T & C their Service Provider offer and this is so as there is freedom of choice as to which Service Provider a person signs up to for their phone service "

In other words they are not interested in stopping it and GO CHANGE YOUR PHONE SERVICE  - ditch your phone bundle to suit your GP -  I dont think BT do a Standard Tariff now, it is either Anytime or Evening and Weekend - nothing else

I am going to phone West Kent PCT when I have double checked that there is no Standard Tariff on BT and it would be local if their was still Standard - will update after I have phoned BT

IP Logged

speedy

Dartford
Reply #96 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 2:04am

Money Grabbing GPs' more than phone numbers

In addition to my previous post I looked at a copy of the Daily Mail dated
29th June before I recycled it and found an article titled :

GP bonuses 'lead to poorer patient care'   in which it stated in 2004 targets for Actions like testing for high blood pressure and choresterol levels were not being met so PCT started giving BONUSES as incentives which naturally improved them to the detriment of other testing e.g back pain, dementia and arthiritus and they are still on Bonuses out of 42 activities 23 grab Bonuses and 19 dont - so if you might need a Thyroid or blood sugar test plus 17 more, Hard Luck if its not on their Bonus Scheme that month.

How many more ways are GPs' going to grab money off Patients to add to their Average £105,000 a year. Apparently there was a general improvement in Care until the Bonuses were started in 2004 then a marked improvement in Bonused Testing and decline in non bonused actions.

I would have liked to have had a Bonus for doing my Job properly - wouldnt we all !!!   and the Government is going to close PCTs and give GPs all our
NHS money I wonder how quickly the Bentleys are going to start appearing - wait and see!!! 

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #97 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 3:19am

speedy wrote on Jul 7th, 2011 at 1:01am:
I am going to phone West Kent PCT when I have double checked that there is no Standard Tariff on BT and it would be local if their was still Standard - will update after I have phoned BT

I have in my position a written statement from an authoritative source in BT, endorsed by its communications office, which confirms:

Quote:
Standard rate were abolished years ago and now all the customers who make calls with BT are either on the weekend, evening and weekend or anytime calls plan, apart from the ones on BT Basic our social telephony tariff.

The officer concerned has promised to make enquiries about why a rate which does not apply to any customers is still published in the customer price list.

speedy wrote on Jul 7th, 2011 at 1:01am:
Quote:
"Generally calls made to NHS contractors using 0844 number should be charged at a local rate if calls are made from callers with a BT Standard Rate Tariff only."

This is an interesting policy for West Kent PCT to have developed at its own discretion.

It is quite different from the terms of the relevant contract, as approved by parliament, which states:

Quote:
"having regard to the arrangement as a whole, persons will not pay more to make relevant calls to the practice than they would to make equivalent calls to a geographical number"

This is the essence of the requirements which West Kent PCT has the powers and duty to enforce.

West Kent PCT has adopted a policy whereby "persons" is qualified, so that it applies to nobody, in what amounts to a re-writing of this simple statement. This is a rather radical interpretation of its statutory duty to have regard to the rights under the NHS Constitution. The first of these Rights states that all persons have access to NHS services without charge, except those charges explicitly sanctioned by parliament.

Ann Sutton, the Chief Executive of the Kent and Medway PCT Cluster, along with her 50 colleagues, has received this message. Officers of the PCTs cannot claim that they have not been invited to consider the reality of the situation. They have a duty to verify claims made by others and to disregard spurious suggestions about the position taken by the Department of Health and the false idea that there is any general regulation of charges for calling 084 numbers, or any regulation relating that cost to the cost of calling geographic numbers.

It is for each PCT to understand the simple words quoted above, as they are written. If they choose to add their own qualifications then that is a matter for which the accountable officer (Ms Sutton in this case) is fully responsible. I strongly believe that to do so is to redefine the principles of the NHS for the locality which they serve. If this involves withdrawing rights under the NHS Constitution, they are in breach of the terms of Section 1 of the Health Act 2009.

IP Logged

speedy

Dartford
Reply #98 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 4:05am

Thanks SCV for your swift reply.

The copy enclosed by my MP of West Kent PCT letter was from Helen Buckingham, Deputy Cheif Exec. not Ann Sutton - it also said which I hadnt included in my post that they ' had sent information to Practices that use such numbers advising them to display a poster in their Recp. Area as a means of providing assurance to all patients'  I dont know what it is supposed to assure patients of -  apart from the fact they were being ripped off  Roll Eyes

I am going to phone Helen Buckingham Thurs afternoon (an 0800 number)
to see what she has to say but I am not expecting much - it will probably be a releif to bang my head on the wall after the call having read all that has gone before - however more power to your elbow SCV - keep up the good work

I have also added most of the post you replied to on David Hickinsin blog - but not showing yet - if I can find it again  Embarrassed - I am a silver surfer and am alright on this Forum but a bit green about finding my way round links and blogs

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #99 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 11:05am

Tomorrow afternoon is Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Health, and the 8th on the list is:

Mark Pawsey (Rugby): What guidance his Department issues on the use by GP surgeries of premium rate telephone numbers.
(65113)

Members might wish to contact their MP with a view to asking a follow-up question.

The DH has said many times in written and verbal exchanges that "... having regard to the arrangement as a whole, persons will not pay more to make relevant calls than they would to make equivalent calls to a geographical number". I suspect that we might be hearing these words again, in direct response to the above question.

However, some PCTs are saying that the regulations are only applicable to certain customers of a certain telephone provider or exclusive of patients ringing from mobile phones. It will be good to get some sort of statement to the effect that it applies to all patients ringing from all landlines and all mobiles.

I have drawn up the following question:

Some PCTs say that they consider that their GPs are in compliance with the GMS Contract where patients subscribed to only a certain tariff with a certain telephone provider pay no more than a geographic call. Can the Minister/Secretary of State confirm that the "arrangement as a whole" includes patients who are customers of all telephone providers and applies irrespective of whether they call from a fixed line or mobile phone? And will he write to PCTs to clarify that this is the case?"
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2011 at 11:06am by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #100 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 3:37pm

Dave wrote on Jul 11th, 2011 at 11:05am:
Tomorrow afternoon is Oral Questions to the Secretary of State for Health, and the 8th on the list is:

Mark Pawsey (Rugby): What guidance his Department issues on the use by GP surgeries of premium rate telephone numbers.
(65113)

Members might wish to contact their MP with a view to asking a follow-up question.

I fully endorse Dave's suggestion.

Many MPs have been advised of this excellent opportunity for PCTs to be reminded of their responsibilities. Many have been misled into thinking that the Department of Health does not support the idea that all patients are entitled to the same treatment under the NHS - free at the point of need.

There is an extensive supporting briefing document published here - PCTs failing to understand DH Guidance.

A telephone call to your MP to press them on this matter could make all the difference.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Surgeries saying no to 0844!
Reply #101 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 9:18am

The Health Question and follow-up questions yesterday have been published in Hansard:

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2011-07-12a.149.4

GPs (Premium Rate Telephone Numbers)

8. Mark Pawsey (Rugby) (Con): What guidance his Department issues on the use by GP surgeries of premium rate telephone numbers. [65113]

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health (Anne Milton): The Department has amended the general medical services regulations to prohibit GP practices from using telephone numbers that charge patients more than the equivalent cost of calling a geographical number to contact the NHS. Since April this year, GPs have not been allowed to use a number that charges patients more than the cost of an equivalent geographical call.

Mark Pawsey: I have been contacted by a constituent who is a patient at a practice in Rugby that uses telephony based on 084 numbers. My constituent is concerned about the additional charges incurred by patients when contacting the surgery by phone, particularly by mobile phone. Will the Minister update the House on the work of the Department in ensuring that GP surgeries do not use such numbers unnecessarily?

Anne Milton: I thank my hon. Friend for raising this matter. I understand that five GP surgeries in NHS Warwickshire use 084 numbers, and that the primary care trust has been assured that patients using those numbers are not charged more than the cost of using an equivalent local number. It is absolutely clear that there is no distinction between landlines, mobiles or payphones. The directions are very clear that patients should not expect to be charged any more.

Mr Andrew Love (Edmonton) (Lab/Co-op): I, similarly, have three GP practices that use those telephone numbers. I have made extensive contact with my local PCT about this, but it did not seem to know what to do. Can the Minister assure us that the clear advice she is giving here today will be distributed around the health service, so that we can put an end to this?

Anne Milton: The Department is very clear, and the general medical services contract makes it very clear, that GPs are not allowed to charge more. There are a number of options open to GPs who already have such telephone contracts, such as calling patients back, altering the contract arrangements or, indeed, paying the costs themselves.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2011 at 9:27am by Dave »  

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #102 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 2:22pm

I may be dim here but, for clarification, does Ms Milton mean that the regulations mean that it must not cost more from any type of telephone be it landline, mobile or payphone & all are covered by the regulations or does she mean that the PCT now believes a nonsense that there is no difference in cost in calling from any of these types of phone and to an 084 number?   If the latter, are these people on the same planet?   Do politicians ever use telephones themselves or pay their own phone bills?   At least, by not challenging the wording of the question, Ms Milton is accepting that 084 are premium rate telephone numbers!   A small victory perhaps?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #103 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 2:34pm

Barbara wrote on Jul 13th, 2011 at 2:22pm:
I may be dim here but, for clarification, does Ms Milton mean that the regulations mean that it must not cost more from any type of telephone be it landline, mobile or payphone & all are covered by the regulations or does she mean that the PCT now believes a nonsense that there is no difference in cost in calling from any of these types of phone and to an 084 number? …

It is perhaps worth re-reading Ms Milton's statement:

"I understand that five GP surgeries in NHS Warwickshire use 084 numbers, and that the primary care trust has been assured that patients using those numbers are not charged more than the cost of using an equivalent local number."

It simply says that the PCT has been assured that patients will not pay more. It makes no mention whether this assurance has been accepted or not.

Then follows the confirmation that the regulations apply to all patients, irrespective of mode of telecommunications is used.
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2011 at 11:58pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #104 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 2:43pm

To me her words are very very clear and quite forcefully made so we should (note should!) be in the home straight as payphones and mobiles clearly fail the test for all 084x numbers.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge