Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Ofcom consultation - Review of non-geo calls 2010 (Read 113,080 times)
loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Re: Ofcom consultation - Review of non-geo calls
Reply #30 - May 26th, 2010 at 6:49am

idb wrote on May 25th, 2010 at 11:27pm:
. There are so many scams, inconsistencies and inequalities with the Ofcom-administered numbering plan that short of a wholesale change to the plan to embrace fairness and consumer protection, little, if anything is likely to be achieved by general user participation in Ofcom's whitewashes. At the height of interest in this matter, an Ofcom consultation yielded some one thousand public responses - unprecedented for a telecommunication consultation. Dithering, delay and inaction followed, as will happen again.

Let me take one simple example. We have a commercial group, NEG, misrepresenting call costs in its marketing to NHS institutions. Not just once, but continually. This organization lies. On the reasonable assumption that Ofcom is familiar with such misrepresentation being perpetrated by this odious body, just what is Ofcom doing? Precisely nothing. It would be reasonable to further assume that if Ofcom had any modicum of consumer interest, one of its senior staff would pick up the phone and speak to a relevant individual within the NHS and explain just what is going on wrt NEG and Surgery Line and the deceit therein. Some may argue that this is not in Ofcom's explicit remit, however we all know the principal duty of Ofcom and it is about time that it acted upon that duty.

Anothe simple example. Reverse-billed, or mobile-terminated, SMS scams could be eliminated for many victims if an opt-in system was mandated. Why doesn't it take action? Because it is in the interest of the PRS industry not to have such mechanisms in place.

Ofcom,or at least this incarnation of Ofcom, is a pointless quango. Perhaps the blues and yellows will do something about it, but until they do, scams, rip-offs and expensive phone calls are here to stay.

The sad aspect of the 08 NGN nonsense is that there are some innovative and potentially useful services that operate within revenue-sharing numbering. Unfortunately, these are lumped in with calling one's bank or doctor. A ridiculous situation, and one wholly of Ofcom's making.

Ofcom has ignored previous user submissions to its various NGN consultations, and I suspect the resoponse rate to this consultation will be minimal.

-------------------------------------------------------

idb, your points are most telling and your summary of references to previous Ofcon Consultations is a salutary reminder of the lack of performance by Ofcon over the years.    Your interest in this issue and extent of knowledge is most impressive and we can all see why you and NGMsGhost must be so frustrated by the lack of adequate reaction by Ofcon and their utter failure as a regulator.  

It is especially annoying that in this current Consultation they have only allowed one month for responses to the most open consultation question they have probably ever raised.   There has not been enough time for people like me to fully think through my views and any possible proposals on the matter, nor much time for us to discuss and debate the issues, in fact these points have started to emerge during the last few days and we are running out of time as the consultation closes 30 May.

If you don't feel inclined to bother to respond this time in view of the pointlessness and ignorance shown by Ofcon I can well appreciate why you feel that way.   I would only suggest that you send a copy of this post of yours together with the lists  of references to other responses over the last six years so that at least Ofcon should look at your points again and it will require minimal effort on your part.

I will be responding along the lines I have indicated in earlier posts on this thread.  

I have always appreciated your contributions on this Forum.   Best wishes.   loddon.

~ Edited by Dave: Quote box completed
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2010 at 12:21pm by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #31 - May 26th, 2010 at 9:59am

The recent string of comments reflect a quite proper frustration that all which is sought has not been achieved, due to an imperfect process. The very concept of "regulation" implies little more than attempting to diminish the ill effects of a free market.

If we seek change within the existing process, we can only contribute to it. I am surprised that long-standing campaigners deny having had any influence in the removal of revenue sharing from 0870, the introduction of the 03 range, further steps that are likely to be announced in the Autumn and the very fact that Ofcom invites input to a long-running programme of change that is still continuing. The latter offers political cover, in that the absence of comment on any particular issue may be taken to imply public contentment.

Those wishing to present well-formed proposals in response to the consultation are limited by time, because Ofcom intends to present its proposals as early as this coming September, and the lack of published evidence about the true state of the market. I will be offering outline proposals with an offer to participate further by refining and perhaps adjusting them when provided with further information and time. Others may wish to do the same. I have received no assurance that such offers would be accepted, although I have been promised that they will be considered seriously.

I suggest that those wishing to achieve change either contribute to the current consultation or offer their serious suggestions for how Ofcom should be reformed or replaced, by legislation. It is possible that the Communications Act 2003 could find a place in the Great Repeal Bill. Proposals for Ofcom's replacement could be a topic worthy of discussion in this forum.

The Conservative Party election manifesto suggested that Ofcom's functions in regulating the telecoms market would be transferred to DBIS, as it joined other quangos in facing near or total abolition. The coalition government document however makes no specific reference to any such proposal. The appointed Secretary of State for Business is not known for wishing to increase the scope of his Department, indeed he is known to have favoured its abolition. Current policy would prohibit the appointment of additional civil servants to undertake this work; one assumes that this would extend to those dismissed by Ofcom. Ministerial responsibility for all of Ofcom's functions has been given to a junior Minister in DCMS, where the emphasis would be on the broadcasting side, although there is "dotted line" reporting relationship to DBIS. This change to the previous structure of ministerial duties appears to remove direct responsibility for telecoms from the Consumer Affairs Minister in DBIS. All in all, this does not strike me as indicating any intention of making the significant change to Ofcom which many are demanding.

Those unwilling to simply sit back,waiting perhaps five years in the hope that the government which emerges from the next parliament will put all to rights, may wish to discuss their proposals for change as well as expressing their frustration.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #32 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 12:51am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 26th, 2010 at 9:59am:
The recent string of comments reflect a quite proper frustration that all which is sought has not been achieved, due to an imperfect process. The very concept of "regulation" implies little more than attempting to diminish the ill effects of a free market.

If we seek change within the existing process, we can only contribute to it. I am surprised that long-standing campaigners deny having had any influence in the removal of revenue sharing from 0870, the introduction of the 03 range, further steps that are likely to be announced in the Autumn and the very fact that Ofcom invites input to a long-running programme of change that is still continuing. The latter offers political cover, in that the absence of comment on any particular issue may be taken to imply public contentment.
The consultation process has been ongoing for years with, largely, an apparent ignorance of consumers' views. This repeated process demonstrates, at least to me that the Ofcom-administered numbering plan is an abject failure, and is not fit for purpose. Tinkering with the plan is pointless when Ofcom seems to ignore the basic and fundamental issues and problems that NTS has delivered. The typical consumer is not the slightest bit interested in TCPs, OCPs, conveyance, transit and any other jargon that is trotted out as a convenient excuse. Years ago, a consumer could make a telephone call with reasonable certainty of understanding the cost of such a call. Charge bands L, a and b were simple to understand, and low cost B1 and B2 (?) bands further reduced the cost of long-distance calling on popular routes. Deregulation and increased competition followed - all well and good, leading to inclusive plans, unmetered calls and low-cost international calling. Unfortunately, the Ofcom NTS framework has resulted in the reduction of the benefits to the consumer of such advantages derived through competition, with the exclusion of many, perhaps most, numbers from a typical consumer calling plan. Any given business, agency, government department appears to now have a telephone number that is disadvantageous in terms of cost to the consumer. There is little point in having an inclusive plan where most of the numbers that a typical consumer would call are excluded from such plan. To determine the cost, inclusiveness (if any) and discount (if any) from, say a BT line, one has to wade through a multi-page pdf file or similar, and that is for just one carrier that tends to publish its tariffs in an easy to use format. This is simply too much aggravation for most people, in my opinion, and the lack of clarity is quite staggering.

It was pointed out, in previous consultations, that addressing the 0870 and 0845 problem would simply mean that numbers would migrate to 0871 and 0844. This is exactly what has happened, and was blindingly obvious to many contributors here.

I accept that some significant achievement has been made, indeed by a few regulars here. One can point to the introduction of 03 numbering, the police forces shifting away from 08, and the, hopeful, abandonment of 0844 within the NHS. Regulars here have made substantive contributions to these three activities. However there are still many scams and inconsistencies within the numbering framework, and these will remain while Ofcom is unable to accept that consumers do not want to call numbers that they have no understanding of the underlying cost, nor call typical 'day-to-day' numbers that are excluded from their plan. Ofcom will clearly not address this issue.

Campaigning can indeed take many years, however with Ofcom, there is always the feeling that one is up against the proverbial brick wall. Perhaps even the Berlin wall. Walls can come down, but this one is firmly entrenched.
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2010 at 1:01am by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #33 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 1:14am

The response from IPV6 has a few discussion points:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/ngnservices/responses/IPV6.pdf

Quote:
For many years, the NTS industry (specifically the 084 and 087 Calling Party Pays (CPP) number ranges) gave both the private and public sector access to badly needed income through the legitimate and proven processes commonly referred to as micro-payments. promote a wholly competitive market for the development and promotion of services. We outline our reasons below:

NTS ranges were envisaged to provide permanency (a permanent number in case a business or individual moved location), continuity (a number which would be unaffected by future geographic number range changes and amendments), provisioning for immediate changes in cases such as disaster recovery (ability to move an NTS number at will in case of sudden business or individual relocation, something not as easily obtained using a conventional PSTN line and geographic number) and a source of income within the 084 and 087 CPP ranges via micro-payments.

Quote:
Public Sector With the exception of life-critical (eg surgeries, out of hours patient lines) or social-crucial (eg housing benefit helplines, immigration language helplines, jobcentres) services and/or departments, HM Government should be free to utilize CPP NTS in the 055, 084 and 087 ranges as an additional method of raising valuable income and revenue – especially in the current economic climate.

Quote:
In closing, we are aware that there is a small (but vocal) minority of persons and ‘consumer groups’ who continue to lobby for price reductions in both call-costs and rental-costs, without due regard for the telecommunications industry and the staff that work within. Those persons should be mindful that the telecommunications industry has to be allowed to make a legitimate and healthy profit if is to be able to employ people, compete, expand and continue investing in ‘the network’ and new technologies both at home and overseas.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #34 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 2:19am

idb wrote on Jun 2nd, 2010 at 1:14am:
The response from IPV6 has a few discussion points:
Quote:
... the telecommunications industry has to be allowed to make a legitimate and healthy profit if is to be able to employ people, compete, expand and continue investing in ‘the network’ and new technologies both at home and overseas.

Hear Hear!! "Now tell us what additional public subsidy and contribution from unwilling and unwitting consumers it needs, in addition to that which it is able to earn through legitimate activities, in order for it thrive and invest."

The argument in favour of charging for public services is potentially legitmate as a form of highly regressive taxation to address the deficit. This must however be openly declared, which would probably make it politically unacceptable, unless a "tax on the poor" (noting the group which makes the greatest use of public services) is found to be more popular that a "tax on jobs". If, rather than relieving the deficit, at least part of the money is to provide financial support for a particular industry then that is a different matter. I would rather see public spending on support for business paid openly out of progressive taxation. I can understand why some would argue that it is better done "on the quiet", however one cannot countenance such an arrangement in open discussion.

A good discussion point indeed.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #35 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 6:13am

idb wrote on Jun 2nd, 2010 at 12:51am:
Campaigning can indeed take many years, however with Ofcom, there is always the feeling that one is up against the proverbial brick wall. Perhaps even the Berlin wall. Walls can come down, but this one is firmly entrenched.

I am not sure of how the analogy with the "brick wall" fits with the fact that positive change has been won through repeated effort. A "brick wall" is very different from a "steep mountain", up which one makes slow and difficult progress, "conquering" it in stages.

I am not sure if the analogy of the Berlin Wall implies that we are stuck in a totalitarian state, seeking to escape from nationalised industries and excessive regulations so as to enjoy the relative freedoms of capitalism and plural democracy, or that we are working from the other side trying to bring those freedoms to others. I struggle to see how our objectives can be likened to that of the re-unification of Germany.

My contribution to the consultation is now published here. There is a page of "Highlights", which I commend to forum guests and members. This is an extract of some strong and quotable elements, supported by links so that they may be seen in proper context. It is intended to provide ready access to the meatier elements of what I am saying in a lengthy structured document.

If anyone wishes to enter into lengthy detailed dialogue, I will be happy to do so by email, possibly concluding with whatever may be thought to be of general interest from the exchanges being published in the forum.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #36 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 10:36am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 2nd, 2010 at 6:13am:

I am not sure of how the analogy with the "brick wall" fits with the fact that positive change has been won through repeated effort. A "brick wall" is very different from a "steep mountain", up which one makes slow and difficult progress, "conquering" it in stages.

I am not sure if the analogy of the Berlin Wall implies that we are stuck in a totalitarian state, seeking to escape from nationalised industries and excessive regulations so as to enjoy the relative freedoms of capitalism and plural democracy, or that we are working from the other side trying to bring those freedoms to others. I struggle to see how our objectives can be likened to that of the re-unification of Germany.
The wall is simply Ofcom's refusal to address the fundamental consumer objection - calling plans exclude numbers that a customer wants to call. This is very simple. Take a sample of responses from previous Ofcom engagements and this objections will generally be the primary and often only concern. I repeat, until Ofcom acknowledges the core problem, then little progress will be made.

As to any debate regarding pluralism, capitalism and totalitarianism, I suggest there are probably more suitable outlets for such comments than the sayno discussion board!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #37 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 12:45pm

… The typical consumer is not the slightest bit interested in TCPs, OCPs, conveyance, transit and any other jargon that is trotted out as a convenient excuse. Years ago, a consumer could make a telephone call with reasonable certainty of understanding the cost of such a call. Charge bands L, a and b were simple to understand, and low cost B1 and B2 (?) bands further reduced the cost of long-distance calling on popular routes. Deregulation and increased competition followed - all well and good, leading to inclusive plans, unmetered calls and low-cost international calling. …

But it is the deregulation and competition that is why we have OCPs, TCPs and transit operators in this country. The principal of switching to a consumer driven telecommunications market with competing providers is not straightforward because their are consumers at each end of the chain (with respect to making calls), unlike supplier services. The same is true of postal services.

…Unfortunately, the Ofcom NTS framework has resulted in the reduction of the benefits to the consumer of such advantages derived through competition, with the exclusion of many, perhaps most, numbers from a typical consumer calling plan. Any given business, agency, government department appears to now have a telephone number that is disadvantageous in terms of cost to the consumer. There is little point in having an inclusive plan where most of the numbers that a typical consumer would call are excluded from such plan. To determine the cost, inclusiveness (if any) and discount (if any) from, say a BT line, one has to wade through a multi-page pdf file or similar, and that is for just one carrier that tends to publish its tariffs in an easy to use format. This is simply too much aggravation for most people, in my opinion, and the lack of clarity is quite staggering.

As I pointed out previously, in this thread, both callers and receivers are consumers of telecommunications services. The former group (the callers) have benefitted from competition in geographic (normal) calls with inclusive call plans, whereas the latter group (the receiver's of calls) have been benefitted by competition due to the receipt of revenue payments and other services.

The problem is that the receivers have benefitted at the expense of callers. The providers of these premium numbers now wish to hold on to the additional charges they receive from callers whilst still having them portrayed as normal rate numbers. With respect to "Calling Party Pays", the calling party should pay either:
1. only the cost to a conventional landline such as is the case with 03. Any additional charges for features such as NTS should be met by the recipient.
2. in addition to the cost of a conventional landline; in which case the extra cost is a premium or subsidy to the recipient.

I therefore do not call for the abolition of premium numbers, but rather I abhore the fact that consumers are unaware of those premiums. The fact that BT's retail call charges are abnormally low due to regulation placed on it when most calls were made from its lines is the reason for this.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #38 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 7:08pm

idb wrote on Jun 2nd, 2010 at 10:36am:
... the fundamental consumer objection - calling plans exclude numbers that a customer wants to call. This is very simple.

It is not however so simple for the inevitable further consumer requests to be met. Callers doubtless wish to pay no more to have all manner of calls included in their plans. At the same time, users of revenue sharing numbers wish to receive subsidy, and would be delighted if this could be provided at no additional cost to callers.

If Ofcom were to be the body running a nationalised telephone service, then it would be able to drop its wall of objection and accede to these demands by using taxpayers' money to subsidise both sides. In fact, Ofcom is but the light-touch regulator of liberalised free market.

I strongly oppose the suggestion that Ofcom should mandate the content of packages, which I read in a number of published consultation responses.
One of the "Highlights" of my own response to the consultation is the following comment: Quote:
I believe that it is fundamentally wrong for Ofcom to define what calls may be included in packages, without a sound reason. Such a reason exists with 03 ...

I firmly believe that the terms of any package is a matter to be determined between each provider and its customers. Ofcom has many responsibilities which I urge it to fulfil, most notably ensuring transparency. It must encourage, rather than restrict, a proper relationship between consumers and competing providers in a market. I do not believe that Ofcom should compel package subscribers to pay for things that they may not want, in the way that some propose. I do however acknowledge that there may be exceptional cases where it is justifiable to limit consumer choice in this way.

If Ofcom were to act in the way that is suggested, it would face a terrible dilemma. Should it force Virgin Media to include 0845 calls in all of its "unlimited" packages, so as to increase the cost of those packages, or force BT to exclude them, so as to reduce the cost of its packages? It is thought that if BT were to include 0844/3 calls in its "unlimited" packages, then the consequent cost of the package would mean that very few would choose to subscribe. Even if revenue sharing were removed from 084 calls, one must still expect to pay more for a package through which more calls were made.

An alternative approach would be for Ofcom to force those who pay for calls as they make them to subsidise those who subscribe to inclusive packages - this is effectively what is happening with BT at present. It may be that this is what those who argue for greater inclusion (probably themselves package subscribers) actually want. I do not believe that Ofcom has any proper role in intervening to deliberately shift the balance of consumer interest in this type of way. It has to regard the consumer interest in the most general balanced terms, not seeking to take up the case of any particular group. (At the same time, Ofcom must recognise that it will always be seen, perhaps fairly, as having taken the wrong side on any issue. Furthermore, Ofcom must carry responsibility for the ultimate effect of any intervention, or failure to intervene, regardless of what its intentions may have been.)

As to any debate regarding pluralism, capitalism and totalitarianism, I suggest there are probably more suitable outlets for such comments than the sayno discussion board!

I believe that it was fair enough for a contributor to make reference to the Berlin Wall, if they felt that it was relevant. I would however tend to agree that it was probably not.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #39 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 10:09pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 2nd, 2010 at 7:08pm:
... the fundamental consumer objection - calling plans exclude numbers that a customer wants to call. This is very simple.

It is not however so simple for the inevitable further consumer requests to be met. Callers doubtless wish to pay no more to have all manner of calls included in their plans. At the same time, users of revenue sharing numbers wish to receive subsidy, and would be delighted if this could be provided at no additional cost to callers.

If Ofcom were to be the body running a nationalised telephone service, then it would be able to drop its wall of objection and accede to these demands by using taxpayers' money to subsidise both sides. In fact, Ofcom is but the light-touch regulator of liberalised free market.
Why do we need to have this subsidy? Why did this subsidy gradually increase from zero to virtually every commercial and public sector body? Who decided that this subsidy was necessary?  I cannot support any calling party pays model unless there is a value-added service on offer over and above everyday general purpose calls. I am not against revenue sharing per se; there are legitimate and useful services that can be funded through the micro-payment mechanism collected through the billing process. Calling a commercial or public sector body on the CPP model, often for the purposes of rectifying a problem not instigated bu the customer is, I'm afraid, not one that I can entertain. We have the ludicrous example (from the number request forum) of a credit card company using a PRS 09 number for customer service. Simply staggering.

I live in a country that has one of the most liberated telecommunication systems around. The 'food chain' of operators and conveyance of calls is similar to that prevailing in the UK yet we have no need for this subsidy. It would not be tolerated.

I have no particular wish that customers should not pay their fair share of call costs. I am happy with my plan which provides free local calls (or for those that do not like the term free, unlimited bundled calls) to any number within my calling area, be it federal, state, local government, residential or business/commercial land line, cable line, cellphone or free number. This is easy for a typical customer to understand, and works well.

If a UK customer pays GBP 20, 30, 40 per month, then one would expect that the vast majority of everyday calls not to be excluded from such a plan.

I guess we must differ on the acceptability of revenue-sharing calls for a particular service.
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2010 at 10:10pm by idb »  

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #40 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 10:43pm

idb wrote on Jun 2nd, 2010 at 10:09pm:
Why do we need to have this subsidy? Why did this subsidy gradually increase from zero to virtually every commercial and public sector body? Who decided that this subsidy was necessary?  I cannot support any calling party pays model unless there is a value-added service on offer over and above everyday general purpose calls. I am not against revenue sharing per se; there are legitimate and useful services that can be funded through the micro-payment mechanism collected through the billing process. Calling a commercial or public sector body on the CPP model, often for the purposes of rectifying a problem not instigated bu the customer is, I'm afraid, not one that I can entertain. We have the ludicrous example (from the number request forum) of a credit card company using a PRS 09 number for customer service. Simply staggering.

I live in a country that has one of the most liberated telecommunication systems around. The 'food chain' of operators and conveyance of calls is similar to that prevailing in the UK yet we have no need for this subsidy. It would not be tolerated.

I have no particular wish that customers should not pay their fair share of call costs.

I agree with you, idb, on this particularly.   I think that the concept of revenue sharing is flawed and unethical.   It is largely a long running scam on the public because most people have no idea that by calling an 084/7 number they are in part paying revenue to the called party and they are subsidising that organisation.   This is a rip-off perpetrated on the general public.   In addition the companies and organisations using these numbers are incentivised to be inefficient in answering calls and even to delay calls to increase their revenue take from the callers.   This is really a totally fraudulent activity and Ofcon should ensure that it is stopped immediately.

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #41 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 11:00pm

Dave wrote on Jun 2nd, 2010 at 12:45pm:
But it is the deregulation and competition that is why we have OCPs, TCPs and transit operators in this country. The principal of switching to a consumer driven telecommunications market with competing providers is not straightforward because their are consumers at each end of the chain (with respect to making calls), unlike supplier services. The same is true of postal services.
This I fully accept, however the situation here is not drastically dissimilar. We have an arrangement known as intercarrier compensation, a highly regulated (federal and state) mechanism whereby a payment is made by one carrier to another carrier to originate, relay and terminate a given call (the 'food chain'). This compensation comprises two elements - access charges and reciprocal compensation. The main difference between the US and the UK, as far as I can see from my limited understanding of intercarrier compensation is that it is not skewed against the consumer. The UK system is broken and needs fixing. I come back to my earlier assertion that a typical end-user is not the slightest bit interested in the conveyance mechanisms for a call originating in London and terminating in Glasgow, or from a call originating in Miami and terminating in Seattle.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #42 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 11:23pm

loddon wrote on Jun 2nd, 2010 at 10:43pm:
I agree with you, idb, on this particularly.   I think that the concept of revenue sharing is flawed and unethical.   It is largely a long running scam on the public because most people have no idea that by calling an 084/7 number they are in part paying revenue to the called party and they are subsidising that organisation.   This is a rip-off perpetrated on the general public.   In addition the companies and organisations using these numbers are incentivised to be inefficient in answering calls and even to delay calls to increase their revenue take from the callers.   This is really a totally fraudulent activity and Ofcon should ensure that it is stopped immediately.  
I would support this view in totality. Simply put, why should calling PC Plod, Dr Smith's surgery, British Airways, HMRC, The Samaritans, the CAB and John's Plumbing be treated any differently than calling one's friend in the next city? It shouldn't. There should be an immediate prohibition on any commercial, government, non-profit or indeed any individual using any number that is outside the scope of a typical consumer calling plan. Such plans must cover all general purpose everyday calls. Revenue-sharing should be limited to those situations where there is clear added-value on offer (teleconferencing, fax services and similar) above a normal general consumer type call. Sure, defining such calls is not always clear, but, as you state, this rip-off has been on-going for far too long. Constant dithering and inaction has made the likelihood of prohibition to be close to zero.

I will pose a question or two to those who support the continuance of CPP model. Why should a UK consumer have to pay a premium to call BA to book a flight? BA is a large corporate body. It will factor in to its budget and overheads the cost of maintaining a call center, an essential operational aspect of running an airline business. In 1995, one did not pay a premium, so why now? What exactly has changed? Why should it cost less for a UK consumer to call, in certain circumstances, the BA call center in the United States than calling the one in the United Kingdom when the calls may well terminate to the same location?
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2010 at 11:26pm by idb »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #43 - Jun 3rd, 2010 at 12:10am

Clearly, numbers carrying a premium (i.e. those referred to as being "revenue sharing") cannot be mandated as inclusive package elements where geographic/03 numbers are inclusive. If that were to be the case, then there would be a surge in organisations and individuals getting premium numbers as they can be paid revenue share and callers won't pay any more.

There would also be people getting these numbers and calling themselves to generate revenue from a zero-fee call. This is known as "Artificial Inflation of Traffic" or AIT.

I strongly oppose the suggestion that Ofcom should mandate the content of packages, which I read in a number of published consultation responses.
One of the "Highlights" of my own response to the consultation is the following comment: Quote:
I believe that it is fundamentally wrong for Ofcom to define what calls may be included in packages, without a sound reason. Such a reason exists with 03 ...

I firmly believe that the terms of any package is a matter to be determined between each provider and its customers. Ofcom has many responsibilities which I urge it to fulfil, most notably ensuring transparency. It must encourage, rather than restrict, a proper relationship between consumers and competing providers in a market. I do not believe that Ofcom should compel package subscribers to pay for things that they may not want, in the way that some propose. I do however acknowledge that there may be exceptional cases where it is justifiable to limit consumer choice in this way.

I respect your point, although I'm not sure where I stand. The following points are worth considering:
  • The 0870 range now doesn't carry a premium or subsidy to number users, but it's not included in packages. This means that the charge to recipients (users) is the same as with 03 numbers. Thus, there is no reason why any right-thinking organisation would want an 0870 number when 03 numbers are on offer.
  • Certain number ranges tend to be populated largely by businesses and other organisations (i.e. non-residential numbers). Where a non-premium non-geographic range isn't part of an inclusive package, the annoyance and frustration of business calls costing more will continue and hence the need for subscribers to look-up alternative numbers in our database.

The suggestion that the cost of an inclusive package will have to increase is a valid one, but how is this a reason not to include calls? The calls will be made regardless and consumers will continue to be aggrieved at having to pay extra to phone their bank or insurance company.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #44 - Jun 3rd, 2010 at 12:20am

idb wrote on Jun 2nd, 2010 at 10:09pm:
Why do we need to have this subsidy? Why did this subsidy gradually increase from zero to virtually every commercial and public sector body? Who decided that this subsidy was necessary? …

The subsidy has not gradually increased from zero. It is the revenue share payments made directly to number users which have increased as a natural result of competition, in the same manner as retail prices for calls have been driven down by competition.

It was Oftel that decided this subsidy should be available.

To understand this, we must go back to the time when the majority of telecommunications services were provided by BT. Indeed, consider the situation when there was only BT. The caller was billed by BT for the call and BT delivered the call to the recipient.

Now imagine competitors stepping into the ring. It's no longer a case of the company that bills the caller making the connection to the recipient. The receiving party's telco charges that of the caller for connecting the call to the destination. For calls to landlines and 03 numbers, this is about 0.5 pence per minute during the daytime.

With revenue sharing/premium numbers, the outpayment from the caller's telco to the receiver's is related to BT's retail call prices. The current regulations that govern them were introduced in 2003, although I'm not sure how it worked prior to that. Basically, the outpayment to the receiver's telco is the BT retail call price minus a tiny amount for BT to keep. Remember, most calls were made from BT lines (or that was the reason given).

Let's look at 0845 numbers which were charged at the same rate as a local call from BT's pre-competition tariffs). For a local geographic call to a number operated by another provider, it would cost BT 0.5 pence per minute (or whatever exact figure was applicable at that time). For a call to an 0845 number operated by another provider, BT would hand over the vast majority of the call charges to have the call connected to its destination.

Where calls are made from providers other than BT, those providers incur roughly the same interconnection charges as BT. So it didn't take a rocket scientist to work out that increased competition would drive down the cost of calling geographic numbers, but not 0845 (and other premium-carrying numbers) due to the far greater margin on the former call type. Hence, in reality, 0845 was never going to stay local rate.

The revenue share payments to number users are merely as a result of the increased competition in providers of these numbers. It should be thought of as cash-back to entice custom and comes out of the subsidy (which is there by design).

The providers of these numbers, understandably, do not wish to give up the inter-operator payments they receive in addition to a normal call (0.5 pence per minute).

I say that anything above this 'normal' inter-operator charge is a premium.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge