Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BT Price Increases From 28/4/2011 (Read 33,674 times)
bigjohn
Supreme Member

BT Price Increases From 28/4/2011
Feb 4th, 2011 at 5:24pm

"Changes to our prices in April 2011

Standard Line Rental
From 28 April 2011, our standard line rental charge will increase from £13.60 to £13.90 a month (£40.80 to £41.70 a quarter). If you already get the online billing discount, you'll still receive a discount of £1.25 a month (£3.75 a quarter) on the above prices (this discount is no longer available to new customers). These changes to our standard line rental charge won't affect you if you're on BT Basic, or if you have BT Line Rental Saver.

Call set-up fee
From 28 April 2011, the call set-up fee for calls from landlines not included in your Calling Plan will increase from 11.5p to 12.5p per call. BT Broadband Talk calls not included in your Calling Plan will also increase by the same amount.
Call set-up fees don't apply to:

•Weekend calls included in the Unlimited Weekend Plan
•Evening and weekend calls included in the Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan or the BT Broadband Talk Evening & Weekend Plan
•Anytime calls included in the Unlimited Anytime Plan or the BT Broadband Talk Anytime Plan
•Calls to Freephone services or other inclusive calls not mentioned above

Daytime UK Calls
From 28 April 2011, the cost of UK landline calls made during the daytime will increase from 7.0p a minute to 7.6p a minute. These changes won't affect calls of up to an hour made with the Unlimited Anytime Calling Plan, or if you're on BT Basic or the Light User Scheme.

Calling Features
From 28 April 2011, the subscription charge for the Call Minder Calling Feature will increase from £2.60 to £3.00 a month (£7.80 to £9.00 a quarter) and the subscription charge for all other individual Calling Features will increase from £2.70 to £3.00 a month (£8.10 to £9.00 a quarter). The subscription charges for packs of 2-4 Calling Features will increase from £5.40 to £6.00 a month (£16.20 to £18.00 a quarter) and for packs of 5 or more Calling Features, from £7.30 to £8.00 a month (£21.90 to £24.00 a quarter). The per-use charges for Calling Features without subscription won't change.

Standard BT Total Broadband Option 1
From 28 April 2011, the Standard BT Total Broadband Option 1 charge will increase from £16.40 to £17.00 a month. If you're currently charged a lower price due to an offer/discount, you'll remain on the agreed price until the discount ends.

After that, the price will increase to £17.00 a month. This change won't apply to customers taking BT Total Broadband Option 1 as part of a package of services including phone and/or TV. To check which BT Total Broadband option you are on, check your BT bill or log in to My BT

All prices include VAT at 20%."

Source : http://www.calls.bt.com/pricechanges/?s_intcid=con_intban_YA_PCYA_Price
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2011 at 5:26pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: BT Price Increases From 28/4/2011
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 11:05pm

One significant effect of these price changes is seen in the change to the point at which it becomes worthwhile to subscribe to "Unlimited Anytime", for which the price (including VAT) has increased by only 1p per month over the period covered (excluding VAT it has therefore reduced).

The minimum number of 5 minute daytime calls per month to a 01/02/03 number to make it worthwhile to subscribe to "Unlimited Anytime"  works out as follows:

September 2010: 13 (@ 40p = £5.20)
November 2010: 12 (@ 43p = £5.16)
January 2011: 11 (@ 47p = £5.17)
May 2011: 10 (@ 51p = £5.10)

Note: A "5-minute" call means any call lasting more than 4 minutes!

There are obviously many other factors to consider as nobody is quite so regular in their pattern of telephone usage. This does however provide a possibly useful indication of what is going on.

IP Logged

FordPrefect

North Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 7:07pm

Am I alone in considering the setup fee to be obscene?

I pay no rental to Asda for my pay as you go mobile service yet they charge me no setup fee. Their per minute charges are a tad dearer for land line calls but I do have to stay on a long time before it becomes more expensive to use a mobile.

I pay for electricity and gas by the kilowatt hour. I don't get charged each time I put a light on or every time the boiler lights up.

Why do phone suppliers think they can charge overpriced rental and then each time we connect?

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 7:19pm

FordPrefect wrote on Feb 5th, 2011 at 7:07pm:

I pay no rental to Asda for my pay as you go mobile service yet they charge me no setup fee. Their per minute charges are a tad dearer for land line calls but I do have to stay on a long time before it becomes more expensive to use a mobile.

I pay for electricity and gas by the kilowatt hour. I don't get charged each time I put a light on or every time the boiler lights up.

Why do phone suppliers think they can charge overpriced rental and then each time we connect?

Because sadly no one so far has challanged it!

It's another reason for me NOT to dial 084 or 087 numbers as I otherwise have a very good inclusive call plan with BT!

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

nicholas43

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 11:22pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Feb 4th, 2011 at 11:05pm:
One significant effect of these price changes is seen in the change to the point at which it becomes worthwhile to subscribe to "Unlimited Anytime" ... This does ... provide a possibly useful indication of what is going on.

Indeed, BT is pushing the anytime 'plan' hard:
Quote:
You'll be pleased to know that we're reducing the price of the Unlimited Anytime Plan. If you currently pay £5.00, as of the 28th April [2011] you will only pay £4.70 a month. With the Unlimited Anytime Plan you get unlimited calls to UK landlines and 0845/0870 numbers at any time of the day. You can avoid the price increase to set up fee and daytime pence per minute charge by signing up to this plan. This is because the set up fee and daytime pence per minute increase will only affect calls that are not part of your calling plan.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 12:10am

nicholas43 wrote on Feb 5th, 2011 at 11:22pm:
Indeed, BT is pushing the anytime 'plan' hard:
Quote:
You'll be pleased to know that we're reducing the price of the Unlimited Anytime Plan. If you currently pay £5.00, as of the 28th April [2011] you will only pay £4.70 a month. ...

Well spotted. This means that the total (rental plus call plan) cost will be unchanged for Unlimited Anytime subscribers, as this reduction offsets the 30p increase in the rental. It is however a bonus for those of us who are still benefiting from the Rental Saver deal.

Happily (for me) this does change the break even point given in the table in this posting, which still stands as correct. Had I spotted the reduction I would have commented on it.

One may always argue that BT and other telcos are too profitable and the cost of using the telephone is too high, however I have no fundamental problem with the concept of call inclusive packages. I believe that BT Unlimited Anytime and the equivalents from its competitors are pitched at roughly the right level for all those who regularly use the telephone during the day, with reference to general telephone charges. I comment further in this posting, where I relate this matter to our campaigning objectives.

Whilst it suits BT to have a regular and predictable flow of income, it also suits many consumers to be spared surprises when the telephone bill arrives. Although one has to watch out for the 60 minute limit, there is something very positive in being able to chat without having to think about a meter ticking and in being able to call someone available during the day without having to think about waiting for the evening cheap rate. Those of us who call during the day generally save money by subscribing to Unlimited Anytime (largely due to the terrific inflation rate of penalty charges), however I would be inclined to subscribe even if my regular pattern left me a little short of the break even point.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 2:11pm

:
Quote:
You'll be pleased to know that we're reducing the price of the Unlimited Anytime Plan. If you currently pay £5.00, as of the 28th April [2011] you will only pay £4.70 a month.

So, I guess from that, this 'offer' is for only for those who are already on this plan. Not for those who who want to upgrade?
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2011 at 2:11pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 2:55pm

sherbert wrote on Feb 6th, 2011 at 2:11pm:
:
Quote:
You'll be pleased to know that we're reducing the price of the Unlimited Anytime Plan. If you currently pay £5.00, as of the 28th April [2011] you will only pay £4.70 a month.

So, I guess from that, this 'offer' is for only for those who are already on this plan. Not for those who who want to upgrade?

My guess is different. I understand it as follows.

Those who upgrade pay the current price, which will be £4.70 from 28 April. If however they sign up to the plan for twelve months, they get the first three for free. Those who do so between now and 28 April will not be paying £4.70 from 28 April, they will be paying nothing until their three months expires, after which they will pay £4.70.

I guess that this is why they chose to refer to "if you currently pay £5.00". BT does not tend to offer existing customers better terms than those who are new or who upgrade.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 3:05pm

Mmmm, you may well be right SCV. As usual BT's T & Cs are ambiguous and confusing.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2011 at 3:06pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 6:00pm

sherbert wrote on Feb 6th, 2011 at 3:05pm:
... As usual BT's T & Cs are ambiguous and confusing.

I totally agree, we are reduced to guessing most of the time. That is not however to say that any other telco is any better. What is worst is that they are inconsistent. Sometimes full and well explained information is published well ahead of the event, on other occasions vague and contradictory information emerges after changes have been implemented. That is sadly an almost inevitable effect of a competitive market. The greater the competition, the more odd and unusual ruses players engage in.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 6:21pm

sherbert wrote on Feb 6th, 2011 at 3:05pm:
Mmmm, you may well be right SCV. As usual BT's T & Cs are ambiguous and confusing.

Having a look at that comment, I may give BT a call this week, as we took out a "Broadband/Anytime Calls" deal with them, but the calls were @ £5.00 per month, for 12 months. Might be worth asking them.

Thanks,

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2011 at 5:42pm

I totally agree. It's a result of this private free market.

Call set-up fees were started by the main cable operators, ntl and Telewest, which have now morphed into Virgin Media.

More recently, BT jumped onto the bandwagon, and at the same time introduced whole minute metering. Now if we still had clockwork exchanges, then I would accept this, but in this day and age they do it because they are allowed to by the regulator.

What would happen if a butcher were to sell meat and round it up to the nearest 500g? Trading Standards would be having words, that's what!

It's swings and roundabouts to a certain degree. With mobiles, incoming inter-operator charges are much higher than with landline calls. Indeed, there are similarities between calling a mobile and calling a 0844 number in that respect.

It is the way usage is metered. Clearly it would be impractical (and probably self-defeating) for electricity providers to install meters on each individual appliance rather than a single meter for each premise at the point of entry.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #12 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 1:09pm

It's making the use of mobiles more appealing depending on type of numbers mostly rung.

I pay £10pcm for unlimited texts, o2 to o2 calls, and 300 xnet mins.  Now BT line rental will be £13.90 and that doesn't include any calls made or tariff plans like BT's Anytime plan.

There is competition in the mobile market but yet in the landline market, they all basically follow suite.  During the next few months, Virgin, TalkTalk, Sky, etc will announce their price increases albeit some landline providers may not increase as much as BT but will be pretty close.

I agree with Dave in that if this was something that falls under trading standards remit, then something would happen but Ofcom just sits by.

Ever since Ofcom relaxed restrictions on BT's line rental charges, etc has everything just increases and not even one increase per year - some providers are increasing their prices a couple of times a year - most just copying BT.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2011 at 1:12pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 1:59pm

bbb_uk wrote on Feb 9th, 2011 at 1:09pm:
I  Now BT line rental will be £13.90 and that doesn't include any calls made .

I think you will find that it includes week end calls up to 60 minutes, unless I have mis read it.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #14 - Feb 9th, 2011 at 6:17pm

sherbert wrote on Feb 9th, 2011 at 1:59pm:
I think you will find that it includes week end calls up to 60 minutes, unless I have mis read it.
You are correct, my bad lol.

The point I was trying to make is that they are pricing themselves that high that those that don't need a landline will stick with a mobile.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge