Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Can Phone Companies Reverse Engineer 01/02 Calls? (Read 139,571 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Can Phone Companies Reverse Engineer 01/02 Calls?
Reply #90 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 10:55am

Here is another report (on MSE) of someone being charged for a call to a mobile number when they dialled a local number to ring a Tesco supermarket.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #91 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 11:55am

Dave,

Searching for the number listed on the MSE post, it seems it's associated or has been associated with something called Noodle Chat and is/was excluded from some mobile networks included minutes

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #92 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 1:32am

CJT-80 wrote on Nov 6th, 2011 at 11:55am:
Dave,

Searching for the number listed on the MSE post, it seems it's associated or has been associated with something called Noodle Chat and is/was excluded from some mobile networks included minutes

The now defunct Noodle who were a cheap intl call provider did have some numbers in the 07822 range, but the 078228 number referred to is a number allocated to Cable and Wireless Tescos Supplier.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2011 at 1:42am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #93 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 9:56pm

The saga continues. There is a recent report on MSE of a bill for £218 for calls to a 07 number when a 02 number was dialled.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #94 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 11:00pm

Is is very confusing for personal numbers to start 07 why is this allowed

Most people assume that an 07 number is a mobile number

How can a mobile number and a personal number be identified or do you have to wait to get your bill to find out.

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #95 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 11:41am

bazzerfewi wrote on Dec 6th, 2011 at 11:00pm:
Is is very confusing for personal numbers to start 07 why is this allowed

How can a mobile number and a personal number be identified or do you have to wait to get your bill to find out.

070 numbers are personal numbers, 074-079,(except 076 which are for pagers), are mobiles.
See the following;-

http://www.area-codes.org.uk/07.shtml

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/numbering/guidance-tele-no/070-guidanc...

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2011 at 11:42am by derrick »  

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #96 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 6:13pm

bazzerfewi wrote on Dec 6th, 2011 at 11:00pm:
Indeed - and there was a proposal to change personal numbers (and probably pagers - I can't remember) to 06 to avoid this but, outrageously, this was dropped because the industry didn't like it and it was of too much benefit to the consumer.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #97 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 4:29am

I can't remember) to 06 to avoid this but, outrageously, this was dropped because the industry didn't like it and it was of too much benefit to the consumer.
[/quote]

Surely there should be a campaign against this action just as there is one in regard to the use of 0800 numbers on mobiles at present.

This may be a task for members that are more knowledgeable than myself in these matters

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #98 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 1:32pm

06 numbers were resisted because it would mean all personal number users would have to change their numbers, which they objected to when they had obtained such a number exactly so that they never have to change their number. Also, anyone with a memorable number containing lots of 7s wouldn't want to change to 06.

Quite why anyone would want to call someone on such a number, though, I don't know. But then I'm someone who avoids calling a mobile number if at all possible anyway, and still thinks it's bad if a business provides one instead of a landline number. So I'm the last person who'd call a personal number!

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #99 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 3:17pm

The concept of a "get me anywhere" personal number had a certain appeal (for some) when it was launched, however the idea did not catch on, partly because the costing structure could not be made to work properly. The idea was then seized on as a means of ripping people off with expensive numbers.

Whilst the confusion with mobile numbers is a major concern, I do not believe that allocating the whole of a single digit range to a failed idea would be a proportionate response.

Ofcom is expected to be making an announcement on all of the issues addressed in its consultation early in the new year. Its latest published thoughts on 070 and 076 are found starting at page 434 of this document.

Some may be encouraged to note that these include the statement -
Quote:
we no longer consider the status quo to be justifiable given the lack of pricing transparency, the confusion over the nature of the number range and the persistence of scams being undertaken

IP Logged

Chiro

Reply #100 - Dec 24th, 2011 at 2:12am

These 01 numbers are very much active and not historic as they would like you to believe.  However 01 and 02 numbers do not generate any income.  The 084 and 087 prefix numbers generate a small / varying amount from each call to the recipient, therefore making the company's phone bill far less than it would otherwise be.  The rest of the call charge goes to the telephone company. 

If this was not the case and these were just "national" and "local" calls, as described in rate of charge, then they would be included in your inclusive minutes.  This is the reason they do not want to give out the geographic number.  It runs through the exact same phone system, but at your cost if you dial 084 or 087. 

Use the 01 or 02 number and make sure your phone company bills you correctly.  Smiley

IP Logged

grun

glasgow
Reply #101 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 10:50am

I have just had my brush with VM, slightly off Op but we are on Unlimited Calls with virgin, at a cost of £8 per month,so not entirely free but an all inclusive package
I had purpose to log into my account,something which I haven't done for months, and was shocked to find some land line call charges were showing for 14p connection fee plus vat
Eventually getting through I found out that this charge was because i had dialled 1471,which funnily enough is advertised on Vm front page has being free, and then dialled "3" to return the call
In the tariff it says a call charge may apply but I would expect an all inclusive package means just that but with virgin it obviously only means part inclusive

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #102 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 11:18am

On BT they charge for that service, even if you have a package. The easiest way round it is not to press 3 but to dial the number yourself, then you wont be charged.

Otherwise 1471 is 'free'
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2012 at 11:19am by sherbert »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #103 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 11:43am

grun wrote on Jan 9th, 2012 at 10:50am:
I have just had my brush with VM, slightly off Op but we are on Unlimited Calls with virgin, at a cost of £8 per month,so not entirely free but an all inclusive package
I had purpose to log into my account,something which I haven't done for months, and was shocked to find some land line call charges were showing for 14p connection fee plus vat
Eventually getting through I found out that this charge was because i had dialled 1471,which funnily enough is advertised on Vm front page has being free, and then dialled "3" to return the call
In the tariff it says a call charge may apply but I would expect an all inclusive package means just that but with virgin it obviously only means part inclusive

Virgin Media publishes its call charges at www.virginmedia.com/callcosts

The current residential document (PDF) states:

Calling 1471 is free, but if you choose to return the call (that's Option 3) you will be charged 16.34p, in addition to your call charges
- just listen to the announcement carefully.

As sherbert says, BT also makes a charge for returning a call by pressing 3 having dialled 1471. Having read out the number, the recorded message says "To return the call, press 3. There is normally a charge for the service."

What does the Virgin Media 1471 say? What is the announcement that the price list advises should be listened to "carefully"?

This thread is about Virgin Media charging for calls that were dialled not in accordance with the price list. I am not sure that this is the case here.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2012 at 11:47am by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #104 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 9:32am

Some good news! We've had a message from Virgin Media letting us know that this issue was resolved last September. Customers who were overcharged were given automatic refunds early this year.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2012 at 9:32am by Dave »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge