Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hywel Dda Health Board and 08444 numbers. (Read 39,637 times)
Keith

Surrey
Re: Hywel Dda Health Board and 08444 numbers.
Reply #15 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 3:48pm

This is a classic reply. I'm getting the same with Surrey PCT who refer to £10,000s to terminate contracts. I have challenged this. They do not need to cancel contracts but simply convert to the equivalent 0344 number e.g 0844 123456 becomes 0344 123456. They will obviously lose the revenue stream but that is all.

SCV has quoted several times that providers have confirmed that they will do this and not impose penalties for transferring to the equivalent number (he should be able to provide evidence).

Termination is another matter which might involve a penalty, but it is not necessary and is probably being put up as a smokescreen.

IP Logged

warweezil

Reply #16 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 6:26pm

I had a small smile to myself when Hywel Dda referred to "returning to the 01646 exchange". The surgery is now and always has been on the 01646 exchange, Simply put - the real number is masked, and it seems clear that LHBs are out of their depth on this, and maybe a matter such as this should be dealt with centrally by people who actually have a clue.

IP Logged

warweezil

Reply #17 - Sep 28th, 2012 at 8:26pm

Grin Success!  Grin

As of Monday morning Argyle Medical Group will be operating an 01646 geographic number!

How much I had to do with this is debatable - but I like to think I helped nudge the situation along a little. Smiley

Its only taken a few years   Cheesy

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #18 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 3:29pm

warweezil wrote on Sep 28th, 2012 at 8:26pm:
As of Monday morning Argyle Medical Group will be operating an 01646 geographic number!

There is a news release from the Health Board about this:

New Phone Numbers At The Argyle Medical Group

IP Logged

catj

Reply #19 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 7:20pm

Quote:
Argyle Medical Group in Pembroke Dock are making it easier for patients to contact them.

That's funny. That's the exact same reason that was given when they originally moved to the old 0844 number.

Quote:
Following suggestions received from patients of the practice...

No mention of the 2010 ban on using these numbers.

Quote:
not helpful for mobile phone ‘pay as you go’ users, as the tariffs set by mobile phone companies tended to be much higher than rates paid by patients telephoning from local numbers

Yes, that's one reason, but still not quite hitting the nail on the head.

Quote:
we had also noticed an increase in the numbers of concerns received in respect of the old 0844 number

Still no mention of the 2010 ban on using these numbers.

Quote:
there is no extended queuing facility with the local number and that they may experience an engaged tone when trying to contact us at busy times

One wonders whether 03 numbers were considered, or even mentioned as a possibility.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #20 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 8:09pm

Again, some excellent remarks from catj.

I do want to add some comments on one point.

catj wrote on Oct 30th, 2012 at 7:20pm:
Quote:
there is no extended queuing facility with the local number and that they may experience an engaged tone when trying to contact us at busy times

One wonders whether 03 numbers were considered, or even mentioned as a possibility.

Incurring the considerable expense of using a non-geographic number so as to enable unlimited queuing is not necessarily a sound decision for a GP surgery.

There is a limit to the length of time that people will be content to wait to get through (even if they are not paying for the call). Acquiring sufficient lines to enable a reasonable queueing time (= number of waiting callers) is a perfectly proper approach for an operation as small as a GP practice.

The 03 argument applies specifically to those who are committed to a contract from a particular provider and using a system which depends on use of non-geographic numbers. Migration to the equivalent 034 number is the "reasonable step" demanded of them by the terms of their NHS contract.

If the provider in question believes that a solution based on a non-geographic number is genuinely a sensible cost-effective option for NHS GPs, then let it make its case. If it relies on the Service Charge, then it is, as it always was, unsuitable for the NHS.

(The migration to 03 proposal was not only a practical option, it was a way of flushing out an answer to the question of whether 0844 numbers had been chosen for the technical or financial benefits.)

If this practice (and others) is seeking to imply that it cannot provide adequate telephone access without subsidy from patients, then let us have that argument out in the open.

There may be some of the 90% of NHS GPs who do not use non-geographic numbers who are providing inadequate access by telephone. I do not believe that it is every one of them! Where are the other providers of small business telephone systems?

IP Logged

catj

Reply #21 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 10:54am

The final comment was posted with the idea that you'd pop up to add more detail on that subject.  Smiley  Thanks for filling in more detailed information.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #22 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 12:42pm

My GP has never changed from an 01 number (I did send a pre-emptive email warning of the furore such a move would ignite).

As a result, trying to phone at 8:30am - the time at which the surgery's answering machine is switched off - often results in getting the (free) engaged tone. 

Pressing of the LNR button is all that is required to try again though (and, if necessary, pressing LNR and hanging up in quick succession as necessary normally gets you through within 2 minutes).

I don't consider the surgery (6 doctors) is providing an inadequate telephone service for patients.
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2012 at 9:34am by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge