Send Topic Print
118 Extortion (Read 8,770 times)
bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
118 Extortion
Dec 11th, 2011 at 10:13pm

118 Snipit. I have just come across an article that was rather disturbing, the 118 market is dominated by 2 providers how can that be a competitive marketplace

CALL CHARGES Minum Call Cost Aroung £2

These depend on the landline or mobile phone network the customer is calling from.
Today, using a BT landline to call 118 500 costs a minimum of 49p plus a call charge of £1.16 per minute.
However, using the same landline to dial 118 118 brings a minimum fee of £1.29 plus a call rate of 39p a minute.

And both Vodafone and T-Mobile have a calling charge to the big two directory inquiry services of £2 a minute.

A spokesman for 118 118 said: ‘We are urging the regulator, Ofcom, to act to end the
confusion caused by mobile surcharges which can nearly double the retail cost.’
A BT spokesman said: ‘We would support the idea of more transparency so that customers have a clear idea of what they will be charged.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1333944/Directory-inquiry-cost-2-Charge-...

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: 118 Extortion
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2011 at 1:30am

This is a classic example of how things go wrong with "bundled" tariffs.

Nobody can see how much of the charge is down to the service provider and how much to the call originator - they can each blame one another.

If free competition is to remain, then the unbundled tariff option which Ofcom will (most likely) be bringing forward in the new year, to cover this and other cases, will ensure that each party has to declare its charges openly.

Aside from arguments about how clearly prices have to be declared, I cannot see that a market regulator can go much further.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2011 at 10:54am

bazzerfewi wrote on Dec 11th, 2011 at 10:13pm:
118 Snipit. I have just come across an article that was rather disturbing, the 118 market is dominated by 2 providers how can that be a competitive marketplace

How can there be an effective competitive marketplace when the service charge that providers make are bundled in with the access charges that the different call providers make?

The amount it costs customers to ring a particular directory enquiries service varies according to each customer's respective telephone company because the charge is combined with the amount that it charges for access. This is a flawed way of charging where effective competition is required. We have seen the results in the widespread misuse of Business Rate numbers which charge callers for services.

The only way is to have the unbundled approach, where the amount service providers charge can be seen clearly.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2011 at 1:47pm

As I've just said in this thread, I can't see why anyone would dial 118 services at all. A fool and his money etc.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 7:36am

118 Smiley A bit of good news,  I have rectified an error that my wife made when she rang 118118 instead of the Virgin Free Service 118180. I contacted Pay Phone Plus and they informed me that if a 118 search had not been carried out successfully the caller was entitled to a full refund.

I trawled the 118 site for a free phone number and then contacted them for no charge as I did not trust them to refund the call charge. Anyway the upshot was – the operator said I will refund you this time as a good will gesture (what a load of rubbish) little did he know that I had been in contact with Pay Phone Plus and I knew that he was bound by their regulation to reimburse me in full.

I contacted them via the following 0800 3891 118 number if any member has a similar problem I urge you to do the same.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2011 at 4:37pm

jrawle wrote on Dec 12th, 2011 at 1:47pm:
As I've just said in this thread, I can't see why anyone would dial 118 services at all. A fool and his money etc.

Under normal circumstances I would never ring a 118 service and since Virgin anounced their free 118 service I have only used it 3 times and that was for work colleagues. Why wouldn't anybody use a 118 service if there is no additional charge. There are hundreds of thousands calls to the present 118 services and they are a rip off. Very often convenience it King. But I also agree fools and their money are soon parted Smiley

Yes I appreciate that web searches can be carried out but the fact of the matter is, it is quicker and easier to dial a number and many people do especially the younger generation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge