Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Co-operative Bank/CIS Insurance - 0845 to 0844 (Read 123,387 times)
CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Re: Co-operative Bank/CIS Insurance - 0845 to 0844
Reply #30 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 6:53pm

Good Evening,

I complained to Co-Op regarding the use of 0844 numbers in both the Bank and Insurance arms, I finally received this response via e-mail:

"Dear Mr XXX

Thank you for your e-mail received on 24 August 2012 in which you raised
  concerns with our decision to change our customer facing telephone
  numbers. I am sorry that you have had cause to complain.

We believe the move from the 0845 number is both fairer and offers more
  transparency for our customers.  Call charges to you will be consistent
  and clear whatever time of day you call as there will be no peak and off
  peak charges and calls to 0844 numbers from a BT landline will cost no
  more than 5.1p per minute. Other network charges may vary and calls from
  mobiles vary depending on the network but will be considerably more.
  Therefore, we recommend you contact your phone provider for information
  in this regard.  The 0844 numbers will be accessible from abroad by
  replacing the initial zero with the international country code for the
  UK, +44.

The new number will be introduced gradually to all our literature that is
  sent to customers and is available in our branches. The call charges are
  also clearly displayed on our website.  Although the numbers are
  changing, all our call centres will remain in the same location.

However, as a result of feedback received from our customers, we are
  currently undertaking a review of our telephone numbers.  We appreciate
  that many customers will benefit from our new 0844 phone number and some
  will have packages with their phone providers which include preferential
  rates for 0845 numbers.  While this review is ongoing, customers will be
  able to ring either our original 0845 or our new 0844 telephone numbers.

I note your comment that you feel we should use 03 numbers as they are
  charged at a standard geographical rate.  I can assure that this is one
  of the options which is being discussed as part of the review process in
  place.

I would like to assure you that we continue to offer a range of free
  channels to service your account, including our branch network, which we
  expanded last year by introducing more than 200 new places to bank, our
  online banking service and our mobile banking application.

Please be assured that we regularly review all of our policies and
  procedures.  Feedback from our customers plays a vital part in these
  reviews and I therefore thank you for bringing your concerns to our
  attention.

I trust my letter clarifies this matter for you and you can regard this
  as our final response. However, if you have any new or further
  information, in relation to this complaint, that you would like me to
  consider please contact me on 0843 208 7391.

If you remain dissatisfied you may refer your complaint to the Financial
  Ombudsman Service.  You must do this within six months from the date of
  this letter.  Further information can be found in the enclosed leaflet.

Yours sincerely"

Apologies for the length of the response,

I would be most grateful for any idea's as to a suitable reply I can give them.

Thanks in Advance.

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #31 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 7:14pm

CJT-80 wrote on Oct 11th, 2012 at 6:53pm:
However, if you have any new or further information, in relation to this complaint, that you would like me to consider please contact me on 0843 208 7391.

Ho hum  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

catj

Reply #32 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 7:21pm

While 0844 or 0845 numbers might only be "pence per minute" to call from a landline, calls to 01, 02, and 03 numbers cost most callers nothing at all above their landline line rental cost.

From mobiles, calls to 0845 and especially 0844 and 0843 numbers have an added 'premium' that has to be paid. These calls are often 40 pence per minute from a mobile. From contract mobile phones 01, 02, and 03 numbers cost nothing at all above the mobile line rental cost.

They could avoid all this.

Point them at the Consumer Rights Directive 2011/83/EU which states they will have to change to an 01, 02 or 03 number anyway.

By quoting an 0843 number for you to call, he just doesn't get it.

« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2012 at 9:03pm by catj »  

IP Logged

Andrew_S_Hatton

Maldon, Essex, England
Co-operative Bank
Reply #33 - Sep 11th, 2013 at 6:04pm

Double standards.

I am a member of the National Co-op Group, but take little active interest in their affairs - they seem to be slipping in several ways these last few years.

My Bank current account accidentally went overdrawn - there is money sufficient to cover the overdraft in a savings account also with the Co-op.

They wrote to alert me of the overdraft and said if it was put in credit within a few days there would be no charges, so I transferred sufficient to cover the OD and give me a 'cushion' until next pay credit goes in to the A/C The OD  was only £25.00.

A few days later I received a letter confirming account now in credit and they will not be charging me the £40.00 penalty for an "informal overdraft request" They offered a telephone number to call with queries -08448 44 88 44.

I had a query (which is not relevant now) & looked for a cheaper number to use - 01621 829 5860 (engaged)

I checked my saved numbers on my phone and found the more familiar 08457 212 212 and used that.

After I checked the comparative call prices - with The Phone Co-op (my call provider - independent of but in a business association with The Co-op Group) the 08448 was a g11 rate call about twice the cost of an 0845 call.

I then noticed on the Bank Statement they sent today in a separate envelope the phone number shown is 08457 212 212 - so they are prompting me to use a more expensive number for my business today than the one they still normally use - I feel cheated

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #34 - Sep 14th, 2013 at 8:59pm

As you can see from the Co-Operative Bank link here: http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/customerservices/contactus/phone-us

They advertise BOTH numbers with a small * - the advice reads: Call charges will depend on your phone provider, please consider this when deciding whether to call 0845 or 0844

Perhaps it should read: Call charges will depend on your phone provider, we had no idea what the charge was when we set the 0844 number up, but we know it's expensive!

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #35 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 12:19am

0844 - up to 41p/min on a mobile phone, 5p to 12p/min plus ~15p connection fee from a landline (all calls include 7p/min Service Charge).

0845 - up to 41p/min on a mobile phone, 2p to 10p/min plus ~15p connection fee from a landline (all calls include 2p/min Service Charge).

A small number of people may find the 0845 number to be an "inclusive" call on their landline. For everyone else, 0844 and 0845 numbers are both expensive calls, with mere pennies between their rates. From mobile phones, the two prices are often identical.

The decision should NOT be between 0844 and 0845, but between 084 and 03. Calls to 03 numbers are "inclusive" in all call plans on mobiles and landlines, else charged at "geographic rate".

Only BT customers (and customers with other landline providers that copy BT prices) with NO inclusive minutes will find the 084 numbers to be cheaper than the 03. However, once the cap placed on BT's 084 and 087 prices by the "NTS Condition" is lifted in 2014, 084 numbers may no longer be cheaper than 03 numbers for those BT and other customers.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2013 at 1:42am by Ian G »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #36 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 1:19pm

I agree with you Ian G,

The "need" for 08 Non-Geographical numbers is solely for a business to direct it's calls and to have a "Non Geographic/UK Wide" presence.  However that does NOT mean that we the general public should have to pay through the nose for those "facilities"

If any company has a "need" to have a Non Geographic number then they should absorb the full cost! They should provide a Geographic Rate alternative, which can be accessed from ANY UK and overseas phone.

We have got into this unfortunate mess, as Ofcom have done SO little to actually manage it.  They have simply left it to the companies supplying these numbers to the business' and the business' themselves!

I can only hope that continued efforts and complaints from members of the public including on here, and the EU Directive will stamp out and sort out this sorry mess for once and for all.

Angry

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #37 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 2:05pm

All non-geographic numbers - 03, 08 or 09 offer the same technical facilities, as do the newer "enhanced" 01 and 02 numbers. The difference is in how the provison of service is funded.

080 - fully paid for by the business so that calls are free to caller (at least that's the aim of the Ofcom proposals that these calls also be free from mobiles).
030, 033, 034, 037 - call routing paid for by the business so that caller pays only "geographic rate" or has the calls as "inclusive".
084, 087, 090, 091, 098 - caller pays Service Charge that covers the call routing costs incurred by the business with any excess being paid out as revenue-share to the business.

I agree the business should absorb the full cost. They can do this by changing to an 03 number. No need for an "alternative" number; just scrap the 084 or 087 number and move to 034 or 037. The additional cost to the business is much less than 1p/min but the saving for the caller is up to 41p/min.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2013 at 3:14pm by Ian G »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #38 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 3:27pm

Ian G wrote on Sep 15th, 2013 at 2:05pm:
080 - fully paid for by the business so that calls are free to caller (at least that's the aim of the Ofcom proposals that these calls also be free from mobiles).
030, 033, 034, 037 - call routing paid for by the business so that caller pays only "geographic rate" or has the calls as "inclusive".
084, 087, 090, 091, 098 - caller pays Service Charge that covers the call routing costs incurred by the business with any excess being paid out as revenue-share to the business.

I agree the business should absorb the full cost. They can do this by changing to an 03 number. No need for an "alternative" number; just scrap the 084 or 087 number and move to 034 or 037. The additional cost to the business is much less than 1p/min but the saving for the caller is up to 41p/min.

I am still unaware as to why the 03 numbers are charged at a per minute rate to the business or end party using the number.  Surely a better scheme would be to charge a monthly fee?! Perhaps this is one reason business' are reluctant to use these numbers and instead keep the 08 numbers and sometimes provide an 01/02 alternative.

It's just a thought.

Huh

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #39 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 3:41pm

There are deals with 20 000 incoming minutes for 50 quid per month for 03 numbers.

The payment doesn't have to be "per minute".

While 20 000 minutes sounds a lot, it's actually only about 60 calls of 10 minutes duration each day.
It also equates to about 2.5p per call or 15p/hour, so it's a minor expense.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2013 at 7:42pm by Ian G »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #40 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 4:51pm

Ian G wrote on Sep 15th, 2013 at 3:41pm:
There are deals with 20 000 incoming minutes for 50 quid per month for 03 numbers.

The payment doesn't have to be "per minute".

In which case perhaps the companies that have the NGN's need to be better informed!

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #41 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 6:00pm

The charging per minute for a service on an incoming 03 line does look odd, although it has always been in place for 080 numbers, at higher rates to also cover the cost of call origination.

Services on non-geographic numbers has been traditionally funded out of the enhanced termination fee, i.e. deducted from that to give the revenue share. When 03 numbers came along (in their present form) it was natural to retain the same system. Because there was no enhanced termination fee from which to deduct the charge, it became a simple charge. (As Ian G says, there are some who offer 03 numbers on a fixed fee basis, given a minimum number of incoming call minutes. I understand that similar arrangements apply with 0845 - i.e. free service, given a minimum number of incoming call minutes.)

When discussing a move from 084/7 to 03, we must remember that the whole of the Service Charge is lost, including that used to pay for network facilities (which becomes a charge on the user), not just the balance that is seen as a revenue share.

e.g. If someone using a 0844 g6 number (Service Charge 7p per minute) receives 4p per minute in revenue share, on moving to 03 they should expect to be billed at the rate of 3p per minute, to cover use of the 03 number and whatever other facilities are being provided. The situation is often complicated by the fact that the actual user is involved in an arrangement that includes a system and / or call centre provider as well as the network telephone service provider. The benefit to them of using a 084/7 number may be reflected only in a lower bill for telephone services than they would see on migration to 03 - the difference is the full value of the Service Charge.

(N.B. That is the basic theory and the simple arithmetic. In the real world, in specific cases, there are often other odd things happening. I was recently involved with an organisation that migrated from 0845 to 0345 and incurred no additional cost. One cannot expect that to be repeated in every case.)

IP Logged

abunur

Reply #42 - Nov 15th, 2013 at 7:19pm

I used 01618550011 successfully today to contact Co-op Bank Personal account enquiries (including Current Accounts, Savings and Loans)

08448 44 88 44 ==>> 01618550011

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge