Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
0843/0844 Not Mentioning Cost. (Read 15,194 times)
bigjohn
Supreme Member

0843/0844 Not Mentioning Cost.
Aug 7th, 2013 at 6:39pm

Given the recent ASA ruling that NHS Choices must show cost of calls to 0844 numbers,is it possible that other major web sites are required to show cost of calls or will they be allowed to remain silent on matter.

EG: http://www.heathrowairport.com/help/contact-us
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2013 at 6:40pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

bw

Re: 0843/0844 Not Mentioning Cost.
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 3:27pm

Do you think it is feasible for us to put together something which clearly indicates the costs of calling these numbers? I ask because I think that some organisations really don't know how much it costs and it would be helpful to have a definitive document or web page which lists the true costs. For example the CAB recently told me that calls to 0844 numbers cost "Up to 5p per minute" from a landline, and that calls to "03" numbers cost "at least 8.14 p perminute". I know there are many different tariffs out there but if we start by listing what our own mobile and landline providers charge that could be a start. Perhaps we could then make the information available on the main website. Any comments on this?

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 7:05pm

bw wrote on Sep 20th, 2013 at 3:27pm:
Do you think it is feasible for us to put together something which clearly indicates the costs of calling these numbers? I ask because I think that some organisations really don't know how much it costs and it would be helpful to have a definitive document or web page which lists the true costs. For example the CAB recently told me that calls to 0844 numbers cost "Up to 5p per minute" from a landline, and that calls to "03" numbers cost "at least 8.14 p perminute". I know there are many different tariffs out there but if we start by listing what our own mobile and landline providers charge that could be a start. Perhaps we could then make the information available on the main website. Any comments on this?

To work out what your landline suppliers normally charges leaving aside inclusive minutes  go to http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm and see what the charge band is and then look at your suppliers charges to call that band.

In the case of a mobile supplier just look at the rates to call the number range as they dont normally differentiate over the different price bands within a number range like you get on  0844/0871 numbers.

Dont forget to add a connection charge where appropriate.

The CAB person would be talking about calls from a BT line without any inclusive minutes.

The CAB have made a statement about their use of 084 numbers see here: http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice/why_we_use_084_numbers.htm where amonst other things they recognise e that some 0844 and 0845 numbers can be more expensive to call than geographic numbers for some people.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2013 at 7:26pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2013 at 8:18pm

It's interesting to compare the CAB wording
http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice/why_we_use_084_numbers.htm
Quote:
Why we use 0844/ 0845 numbers

We recognise that some 0844 and 0845 numbers can be more expensive to call than geographic numbers for some people. At present, charges vary depending on provider and whether the call is being made from a mobile or a landline.

Ofcom recently consulted on proposals to simplify non-geographic telephone numbers, which would make it easier for telephone users to identify how much a call will cost them. We welcomed this review and await an announcement on its outcome.

We strive to keep call costs as low as possible for clients whilst ensuring our telephone numbers are compatible with the systems that increase our capacity for answering calls.

We have chosen to use these non-geographic numbers, as opposed to a free phone number, as they allow us to generate income to cover the cost of running and managing our telephone services, as well as allowing us to deliver calls to multiple locations, depending upon the availability of our staff and volunteers. We do not make a profit from the costs of calling our telephone services.

The Citizens Advice service is committed to making its services as accessible as possible. This is why we offer a range of contact options including face-to-face advice, email advice and online information.

Citizens Advice will continue to keep the telecommunications market under review.

with the wording used by various GP practices
http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/page.cfm?orgid=510&pid=54000
Quote:
Why we use 0844 numbers

We recognise that 0844 and 0845 numbers are more expensive to call than geographic numbers for some people, but this option allows us to have 6 income calls at the same time so that we can cope with the demand of patinets [sic] needing to call us.

We also offer a local geographical number (01639 500404). This local number option will allow patients to call an 01 number but only 1 at a time, the calls ringing on the 01 number will come through the main reception phones as they currently do for the 0844 number. Once this line is in use (until the call/s gets answered) any other callers ringing the number will get the engaged tone.

At present, charges vary depending on provider and whether the call is being made from a mobile or a landline. Ofcom recently consulted on proposals to simplify non-geographic telephone numbers, which would make it easier for telephone users to identify how much a call will cost them.

We strive to keep call costs down for patinets [sic] while ensuring our telephone numbers are compatible with the systems that increase our capacity for answering calls.

We are committed to making our services as accessible as possible.

It's also interesting to note that CAB say they use these numbers to "generate income" but "don't make a profit". We know of a few government departments that also claimed they "didn't make a profit" from these numbers, and look where that got them!
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2013 at 3:06pm by Ian G »  

IP Logged

blutak

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 2:42pm

"but this option allows us to have 6 income calls at the same time " : Exactly!

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2013 at 3:05pm

I think they meant "incoming" calls, but yes, that IS an interesting Freudian slip they made there.

They obviously don't read what they write. I see that the people that call them are referred to as "patinets" in at least two places.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 4:43pm

I can add to this,

in a recent edition of Mature Times one Bournemouth hotelier advertised their business and invited callers to ring an 0843 number, advising that the call rate was a "local call from a BT landline".  I have submitted a complaint to the ASA.  Their website states a similar misleading call rate.

When will they ever learn!
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2013 at 4:43pm by CJT-80 »  

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge