Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Which? calls on banks to cut out costly calls (Read 63,637 times)
SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Which? calls on banks to cut out costly calls
Nov 17th, 2013 at 8:17am

Which? is being announced as today having launched a campaign to get banks to cut out use of 084 /087 numbers and to offer 0800 numbers -
Which? calls on banks to cut out costly calls

The fair telecoms campaign is joining Which? in doing broadcast media on today's story, but with a very different slant -
Two major banks to stop using 084 numbers.

Details of news coverage will be available on the fair telecoms news feed in due course.

« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2013 at 8:20am by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Re: Which? calls on banks to cut out costly calls
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 9:09am

The Telegraph reports today that some of the largest banks are dropping premium rate phone lines with this item:---

RBS and Barclays drop premium rate lines as watchdog shames financial sector

"RBS, which also owns NatWest, last night vowed to act by offering basic rate numbers for general enquiries and a freephone number for complaints by the end of the month.

Barclays has also pledged that it will introduce a freephone or basic rate number for all customer helplines. The pledge also covers Barclaycard. "

The Telegraph adds this encouraging rumour :---

"There were rumours that Legal & General, one of Britain's biggest insurers, may also follow suit.
"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/...

The is absolutely momentous news and cause for real celebration by all us campaigners.   Smiley Cheesy Cheesy

This could be the major breakthrough we have been working for during the past several years.  Truly amazing !!!  Shocked Shocked Smiley Cheesy
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2013 at 9:10am by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 12:15pm

SCV and loddon,

Hopefully all it will take is one or two banks to change their contact numbers to standard/basic rate 03 numbers and then with enough complaints and publicity the others will follow suit...

I have already complained to the Co-Operative Bank over it's use of an 0845 number and then it's change to an 0844 number.

So far they still publicise both!

After the banks it will be the transport network that will could do with being convinced!

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

First Direct and HSBC working towards moving to 03
Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 6:12pm

Some more good news from First Direct and HSBC this time. Smiley

"  A spokeswoman for First Direct and HSBC, says: ‘Many of our customers now bank with us online or via our mobile app as their first option. However, we are looking at our telephone service, and as part of that we are working towards switching our 0845 numbers to 0385 numbers, which are covered within the inclusive minutes offered on both mobile and landline phone packages."

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-2508341/Banks-building-societi...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2013 at 6:21pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Re: First Direct and HSBC working towards moving to 03
Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 9:14pm

bigjohn wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 6:12pm:

"  A spokeswoman for First Direct and HSBC, says: ‘Many of our customers now bank with us online or via our mobile app as their first option. However, we are looking at our telephone service, and as part of that we are working towards switching our 0845 numbers to 0385 numbers, which are covered within the inclusive minutes offered on both mobile and landline phone packages."

Great news again!!!

I assume the 0385 was a typo, and should of been 0345?

Otherwise that's an interesting number.....

EDIT: Having read the article.. their typo not yours!
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2013 at 9:20pm by CJT-80 »  

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 9:29pm

CJT-80 wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 9:14pm:

Great news again!!!

I assume the 0385 was a typo, and should of been 0345?

Otherwise that's an interesting number.....

EDIT: Having read the article.. their typo not yours!

I thought originally it was a typo,but then i thought perhaps they have secured a new numbering range. Undecided

BJ.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2013 at 9:35pm

Quote:
I thought originally it was a typo,but then i thought perhaps they have secured a new numbering range. Undecided

It seems they once existed: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/oftel/publications/1999/consumer/qanum999...

Do a Control F search and type in 0385

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 5:09am

CJT-80 wrote on Nov 17th, 2013 at 9:35pm:
Quote:

It seems they once existed: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/oftel/publications/1999/consumer/qanum999...

Do a Control F search and type in 0385

Yes i have noticed it was originally an old mobile number range.So i am now leaning towards a typo. As 03456 100 100 for First Direct sounds better then 03856 100 100.  Smiley

In Loddons post i see Legal and General are mentioned. They in fact have already converted their 0870 numbers to 0370 ones and are already using a 0345 number so that looks promising as well for the remainder of the 0845 ones to go to 0345.

See: http://www.legalandgeneral.com/existing-customers/contact-us/

« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2013 at 5:21am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 7:11am

IIRC FirstDirect started their business with 0345 100 100 back in the days (c1990) when this was a real advantage to most customers by giving them a local rate number from anywhere in the UK. They also make no secret of their 0113 2345678 number. It's printed on all their cards and some other places as their "international" number. I agree that a change to their headline numbers from 0845 (back) to 0345 would be welcome.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 9:21am

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-2508341/Banks-building-societi...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So now HSBC have announced that they are switching from 0845 to 03 numbers !!   How much more good news can we take?/   Wink Smiley

Barclays, RBS and now HSBC -- this is three of the four big banks which dominate the UK banking market. Incredible!!!   We only need LLOYDS Bank to make a similar announcement and we will have a full set!!   We now look for the others to follow suit such as Santander, Halifax, Nationwide, Yorkshire bank, Allied Irish, Bank of Ireland, Clydesdale, Co-op Bank et al.

There are already some good guys including First Direct(?) and Standard Chartered which uses normal geo numbers as does MBNC the credit card company.

An interesting reader comment below the "ThisisMoney" article :---

"Anahoor, London, United Kingdom, 17 hours ago
It is not just banks and building societies; try phoning: MARKS & SPENCER JOHN LEWIS CURRYS SKY TALK TALK They all use these numbers and most are proud of their customer services. Hypocrites
"

The major retailers need to look at their policies on this issue very carefully.

« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2013 at 9:25am by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 9:52am

loddon wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 9:21am:
… The major retailers need to look at their policies on this issue very carefully.

They will have to do so when details of the final version of the provisions to implement the Consumer Rights Directive are announced shortly. There is however still a chance for someone looking for good PR to get ahead of the game, as these banks have done, and be seen to have done the right thing, rather than being compelled to do so.

The fair telecoms campaign is behind any pressure being applied to likely candidates.
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2013 at 12:06pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #11 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 11:18am

Both myself and my Mum bank with Nationwide and she also banks with Co-Operative... so I am happy to contact them to add my weight to them reverting their 0845 numbers over to 0345 equivalents....

Equally we now need to get the transport providers at National Rail Enquiries (who I have badgered before) to start amending theirs!!!! It's not hard for them to do it if the banks etc can do it!

We CAN do this, if we all stand together  Smiley Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 11:45am

Although they mention it First Direct dont actively promote their geographical number as such see http://www2.firstdirect.com/1/2/contact-us so to get them to switch the 0845 numbers to 03 would be good.

I am a customer they certainly dont mind you using the 0113 geographic number. Smiley

TSB are another candidate for change but they actually say   If you need to call us from abroad, or prefer not to use our 08459 number, you can also call Telephone Banking on +44 (0) 2032 841 575.

Talk Talk mentioned above have offered a geographical alternative  020 3441 5550 for some considerable time now.
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2013 at 12:06pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #13 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 4:28pm

bigjohn wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 11:45am:
Although they mention it First Direct dont actively promote their geographical number as such see http://www2.firstdirect.com/1/2/contact-us so to get them to switch the 0845 numbers to 03 would be good.

I am a customer they certainly dont mind you using the 0113 geographic number. Smiley

TSB are another candidate for change but they actually say   If you need to call us from abroad, or prefer not to use our 08459 number, you can also call Telephone Banking on +44 (0) 2032 841 575.

Talk Talk mentioned above have offered a geographical alternative  020 3441 5550 for some considerable time now.

Talk Talk do indeed offer one, except that seem to not be able to put it in the correct format...

Here is the text copied from their technical support "call us" page...

24 hours a day 365 days a year. Please make sure you have your account details to hand when you call.

Free from your TalkTalk landline: 0870 444 1820

Mobile friendly: 0203 441 5550

I have (as a customer) mentioned it twice that the correct number is 020 3441 5550 as bigjohn has pointed out.

Still at least they have one  Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 5:09pm

Whilst some are unduly obsessed with the issue of "consumer choice" and provision of alternative numbers is a major function of saynoto0870.com, the fair telecoms campaign does not see the process of offering dual numbers as generally being desirable or helpful.

For basic telephone contact we believe that every organisation should present a clear geographic rate number.

Some may wish to also offer a 080 number for landline users or perhaps some other number for those on particular tariffs who could benefit from a lower call rate. Such offers must however be secondary and the situations when they should be used clearly explained.

(The only exception which comes to mind is "101", which offers advanced routing and is highly memorable. Local geographic alternatives for specific Police services are secondary.)

Once 080 numbers become "free to caller" in all cases, they will become acceptable for presentation as the primary number.

Where a chargeable telephone access service is offered, i.e. on a 084/087/09 number, then presentation of this chargeable service is subject to a wholly different set of rules.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge