Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
0871 Users Seem Reluctant to change (Read 30,377 times)
bigjohn
Supreme Member

0871 Users Seem Reluctant to change
Jun 15th, 2014 at 10:00am

I notice that quite a few 0871 Service Users have not yet complied with the new regulations.

Milking every drop of the substantial  revenue share they get no doubt. Shocked

EG: http://www.travelodge.co.uk/help/contact-us

http://www.devere-hotels.co.uk/
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2014 at 10:06am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Re: 0871 Users Seem Reluctant to change
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 9:57am

I am really not sure how long they will take until they finally change over....

as you said gaining as much revenue as they can sadly

Angry

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

japitts

North Bristol
Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 10:06am

What's the "correct" way of dealing with such companies? Complaints to their CS? Complain to their CEO? Or just report straight to Trading Standards?

WWW 41410672 pittsjon jonpittsaim  
IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 10:15am

Draw the company's attention to their legal obligations. Be aware of your rights. You're entitled to claim a refund of the excess call costs over "basic rate". Be aware the regulations cover only retailers, traders and passenger transport companies.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/regulation/6/made
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/regulation/41/made

http://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/310044/...

If you get nowhere, proceed to report it to the Fair Telecoms Campaign via their website and to Trading Standards via the Consumer Helpline on 0345 404 0506. Neither offer any commitment to take action on reports (due to the level of available resources, and other priorities).

Continue to complain to banks, insurance companies and package travel outfits but be clear this law does not cover them.
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2014 at 10:34am by Ian G »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 10:46am

japitts wrote on Jun 21st, 2014 at 10:06am:
What's the "correct" way of dealing with such companies? Complaints to their CS? Complain to their CEO? Or just report straight to Trading Standards?

In addition to the comments from Ian … note that the regulation gives you the right to recover the excess cost of your call over that of an equivalent call to a "basic rate" number.

The fair telecoms campaign seeks to achieve compliance with the regulations by all businesses, however there is no reason why an individual victim should not directly seek personal redress - it may help to focus the mind.

We are finding that many companies have been slow to recognise what is expected of them and so it may take some time before the situation settles down.

IP Logged

nottinghill

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 11:00am

You may be interested in how I've dealt with a company which made an incorrect delivery to me on Monday, and cited an 0871 number for its Customer Service desk.
First, I checked on saynoto0870, of course, and was able to lodge my complaint  at minimum cost to myself.
Second, I phoned Ofcom, which confirmed that only an 03 or other geographic charge number should be offered; Ofcom suggested that I contact the company's local Trading Standards office in Powys.
This I did this morning, and they sympathetically connected me to the Consumer Helpline run by Citizens Advice.  I was given a reference number by the Helpline and told that the matter would be referred back to Powys for action.
For your information, the company concerned was clifford-james of Brecon, whose website address I am not permitted to post at this time.

japitts wrote on Jun 21st, 2014 at 10:06am:

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 12:22pm

nottinghill wrote on Jun 26th, 2014 at 11:00am:
For your information, the company concerned was clifford-james of Brecon, whose website address I am not permitted to post at this time.

http://www.clifford-james.co.uk/cliffordjames_contactus.cfm

They really haven't got a clue, have they? 

They state about their order hotline number 0871 911 7000* that "calls cost 10p per minute and mobile charges may vary" but append the same asterisk thereto as they do to their "0871 911 7003* Customer services number. 

That asterisk assures readers that "*Calls are charged at 5p per minute from a standard BT line
(there's a familiar misleading phrase)
.  Charges from other operators and mobile phones may be higher."

Another company I won't be dealing with.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

trickyd

Manchester
Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 12:14am

I wrote to Travelodge and, despite explaining why they were NOT complying, simply got two replies back saying that they were aware of the regulations and WERE complying!!

Can I suggest a new thread is established - a sort of new "Hall of Shame" listing the law-breaking organisations which are not complying with the regulations. The thread could also draw together news of members' actions to alert and report  these companies and organisations.

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 1:24am

Apparently, after you make a booking the confirmation email supposedly contains a compliant number for further contact.

The website potentially makes reference to that under the "amend or cancel a booking" heading.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2014 at 8:35pm

trickyd wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 12:14am:
Can I suggest a new thread is established - a sort of new "Hall of Shame" listing the law-breaking organisations which are not complying with the regulations. The thread could also draw together news of members' actions to alert and report  these companies and organisations.

I believe such a thread already exists.. however it's not been used for some time.

I have somewhat had to take a back seat from things for a while.. so maybe one of the other moderators can suggest something here?

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

japitts

North Bristol
Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 7:26pm

Ian G wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 1:24am:
Apparently, after you make a booking the confirmation email supposedly contains a compliant number for further contact.

The website potentially makes reference to that under the "amend or cancel a booking" heading.

I've exchanged emails with the Travelodge CEO-office on this subject, I have bookings that were made before the regulations came in but are for later this year.. seemed as good a basis as any to complain.

Sure enough, changing the published 0871 number for 0371 is their answer - and I can confirm this works. However, both the wording on the IVR and the general attitude of the replies I got...it seems Travelodge are complying "strictly" with the letter-of-the-law but only through gritted teeth.

WWW 41410672 pittsjon jonpittsaim  
IP Logged

isdoo

Reply #11 - Jul 11th, 2014 at 11:33am

I also wrote to Travelodge and got the same answer.

They told me that customers would be given a number to contact the hotel etc.

I have since made two bookings with them.

On both occasions (one just yesterday) as a customer I am still given a premium rate number to call!!

Clearly in breach

IP Logged

trickyd

Manchester
Reply #12 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 2:35pm

After some persistence Manchester Airport have got back to me to say that they are in the process of obtaining numbers that comply with the law- which begs the question as to why such a large organisation did not get its act together in time for the deadline date. One suspects the answer is that, as they only have Manchester City Council (main owners of airport) to ever answer to, they are too complacent and too used to doing what they want. I will give them 3 weeks and if no change by then insist that Trading Standards deal with it. As the authority is Manchester, I won't hold my breath.....

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Jul 19th, 2014 at 11:00am

Phone Pay Plus gave guidance about use of 0871 for customer service purposes in March of this year.

"the PhonepayPlus Code of Practice (12th edition) already requires PRS providers to offer and effectively publicise a non-PRS UK telephone number for consumer complaint and/or enquiry. This has included geographic numbers, and those on the 03 or 084 ranges, but has to date excluded 087 numbers.
The exception to this has been for 087 numbers, where 087 providers have been permitted to use the same number for delivery of a service (e.g. consumer complaint facility for non-PRS products, data capture or chat) and for complaints regarding the service provided on that number. This is currently set out at paragraphs 8.1 to 8.4 of Service-Specific Guidance on Lower Cost Services.
However paragraph 41 of the Regulations prohibits customer helplines charging consumers at any more than basic rate. This precludes the use of numbers on the 09, 087 and 084 ranges to operate a telephone line for consumer contact about a product already purchased, whether charged via PRS or not, or to cancel a contract."

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/For-Business/Code-and-Help/Code-Compliance-Update...
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2014 at 11:05am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Jul 19th, 2014 at 8:30pm

Another Hotel Chain i noticed that is still not in compliance is

http://www.britanniahotels.com/contact-us/

who also use 0871 phone and fax numbers for each individual hotel.

http://www.britanniahotels.com/hotels/
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2014 at 8:31pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge