Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Solicitor claiming 0333 is a Freephone Number. (Read 11,814 times)
bigjohn
Supreme Member

Solicitor claiming 0333 is a Freephone Number.
Mar 2nd, 2016 at 6:40pm

BJ.

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Re: Solicitor claiming 0333 is a Freephone Number.
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 7:03pm

This is quite widespread and I think it has been caused by the common and incorrect usage of the phrase "free minutes".

The ASA cautions that telecoms suppliers must describe inclusive allowances as just that, inclusive, and must not describe the calls as free.

It seems a large number of people do not understand the difference between a call which is truly free and one which counts towards the inclusive allowances within a call package and chargeable outside of any allowances.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2016 at 7:08pm by Ian01 »  

IP Logged

G7MZH

Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 10:46am

I emailed care Fees Recovery (aka New Law Solicitors) on Saturday; on Monday afternoon I got a nice email from them thanking me for letting them know and saying it was now corrected.

They have removed the 084 numbers from tehir web site and the 03 numbers are no longer stated as "free" - in a couple of places thay say "local rate" which I think is acceptable.

If only everyone was this efficient!

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 4:35pm

That's a big improvement.

Personally, I avoid the term 'local rate'. A distinct 'local rate' (a lower charge for a local call) ceased to exist in 2004. Calls within the UK are no longer charged by distance.

The 'local rate' terminology has been much abused, not least to mis-describe premium rate 0845 numbers, and is best avoided.

Additionally, talking about a 'rate' puts people in mind of paying a per-minute charge for the call when In reality most people pay a monthly fee for an inclusive call plan covering all of their calls to these numbers.

I much prefer to state that calls to 03 numbers are inclusive from landlines and mobiles, else charged at 'geographic rate' - the same as calls to 01 and 02 numbers.
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2016 at 4:44pm by Ian01 »  

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2016 at 5:01pm

Exactly. Saying "03 calls are charged at the same rate as your provider charges for 01 and 02 calls" covers it all and leaves less from for PTOs and solicitors to...

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2016 at 5:52pm

Most people no longer pay for individual calls to 01, 02 or 03 numbers. Calls to 03 numbers count towards inclusive allowances on landlines and on mobiles in the same way as calls to 01 and 02 numbers.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #6 - May 14th, 2016 at 5:47pm

Ian01 wrote on Mar 2nd, 2016 at 7:03pm:
This is quite widespread and I think it has been caused by the common and incorrect usage of the phrase "free minutes".

The ASA cautions that telecoms suppliers must describe inclusive allowances as just that, inclusive, and must not describe the calls as free.

It seems a large number of people do not understand the difference between a call which is truly free and one which counts towards the inclusive allowances within a call package and chargeable outside of any allowances.

EVEN Virgin Media staff quote calls as being free on their packages I often have to correct them. I VM staff are directed to use the term FREE CALL they should be fined for doing so. OFCOM should rattle some cages.
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2016 at 10:47pm by CJT-80 »  
WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge