Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cont BT scam with non-geo Nos (Read 7,124 times)
Dr R D Feltham

cont BT scam with non-geo Nos
Jul 12th, 2003 at 1:19am

In the meantime the only sensible policy is not to do business with any company which uses these Disguised Premium Line (DPL) numbers. There are still honest and straighforward companies which do not play these tricks to increase their profitability, and don't make you pay for sorting out any mistakes which they have made because you have to telephone them to tell them on one of these DPL numbers.
Oftel is of course soon to be dissolved and a new body will take over the responsibility for regulation. It seems that since BT saw these numbers as being an opportunity to claw-back some of the monopoly which they had lost, they have now also begun to actively sell the DPL concept to companies via agents pushing the idea that companies can generate considerable revenue from their customers if they change their numbers (particularly call centres) to these DPLs. OFTEL has begun to address this scam with 07 prefix numbers by BT, but have so far evidently taken no action about the scam of 04, 05 and 08 prefixes in being used as DPLs.

The address of OFTEL is: 50, Ludgate Hill, London, EC4M 7JJ.

I suggest that consumers angered by this scam should write to OFTEL, OFCOM, ICSTIS and their own MP to complain. The address of OFCOM is: Riverside House, 2A Southwark Bridge Road, London, SE1 9HA.
The address of ICSTIS is: Freepost, WC 5468, London, SE1 2BR.

It seems that The Consumer's Assocation is now beginning to look at this SCAM.

IP Logged

agent007

Re: cont BT scam with non-geo Nos
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2003 at 11:12pm

Thanks, I'd be interested to hear about some examples of rip-off 04 and 05 prefixed numbers, which you mention.

The only in-use prefix of these ranges that I'm aware of is 0500 (no fee); e.g. code 0541 is long since deprecated, isn't it?

IP Logged

Faz

London
Re: cont BT scam with non-geo Nos
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2003 at 12:44pm

Oops!  I just replied to the original thread started by RD!  Just noticed this second thread, D'oh!  How comes you continued your orignal post using another thread anyhow? Roll Eyes  Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2003 at 12:56pm by Faz »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge