Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
0845 numbers save you money (Read 110,543 times)
Neil Thomas

0845 numbers save you money
Mar 15th, 2004 at 12:02pm

I feel I need to point out that My Company www.audiovisiononline.co.uk spend a lot of money each year to save you money, I do not gain a single penny from my 0845 numbers, I put them in place to promote contacting us and only being charged local rate regardless of where you are nationally, therefore i am now passing on this websites details to my solicitors for legal action against this website and any slanderous comments on 0845 numbers.

I was given the choice from the communications company of either a 0845 number which promotes cheap calls for consumers or an 0870 number which charges more to customers and gains money from consumers, I chose to go for a 0845 number in order to offer the ultimate service to my customers and save YOU the consumer money, only to find my service is being damned by this and similar sites.

Yours

Neil Thomas
Managing Director

IP Logged

Yddap
Ex Member

Re: 0845 numbers save you money
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2004 at 12:23pm

01438 & 01480 numbers are cheaper than 0845 number for any Telewest customer
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2004 at 12:24pm by Forum Admin »  

IP Logged

Neil Thomas

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2004 at 12:31pm

Firstly WHY!!! how can it be cheaper, how can local rate be cheaper then local rate, and as already stated if i make no money from it......why would i introduce it if it was'nt atleast offering the savings to consumers.

IP Logged

John Harris

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2004 at 12:33pm

Oftel was investigating the causes and extent of higher non-geographic tariffs.  On 26 September 2003, Oftel published a consultation document called '0845 and 0870 numbers: Review of retail price and numbering arrangements'.

The consultation document examines whether the link between the retail prices for 0845 and 0870 numbers and the retail prices for geographic local and national calls should continue, and, if it is removed, other options for establishing the retail prices for calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers.

Many consumers are on unlimited call packages, and discounted call packages that offer free/cheaper calls to standard telephone numbers (beginning 01/02) - These can be called for as little as 1p/min daytime (eg. www.call18866.co.uk). ; Whereas, calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers are not generally included in call packages, and charged at 3p/min (for 0845) and 7p/min (for 0870).

IP Logged

John Harris

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2004 at 12:43pm

Here is a quick list of a few prices for cost of calls

http://www.call18866.co.uk
UK 01/02 calls - 1p/min inc VAT
UK 0845 - 3p/min
UK 0870 - 7p/min

http://www.telewest.co.uk/pdfs/11038_TW_Tariff_Res.pdf
UK Daytime 01/02 calls - 3p/min
UK Daytime 0845 - 3.95p/min
UK Daytime 0870 - 7.91p/min

Also, BT's inclusive call packages do not include calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers.  Therefore, those who pay a fixed rate for unlimited calls, have to pay on top of this for calls to 0845/0870 numbers.

IP Logged

Neil Thomas

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2004 at 2:01pm

Dear All

It has become apparant that despite my company offering an 0845 number in the quest to offer cheaper calls, dependant on the consumers telephone package it may not always be possible to gain a cheaper call.

Although my first post may have seemed to be a little harsh I feel fustrated that we were/are being tarnished with the same approach as the the companys who use this service to make financial gain, I can state that we do not make a penny from this service, nor do we wish to.

One of the main reasons we used this service was the virtual receptionist offered which allows us to deal with and route our customers calls more efficiently.

We make it as clear as possible on our website all our contact numbers and we also warn customers to check their own phone service in order to establish the cheapest ways to contact us. I agree with this sites content in order to provide cheaper alternatives especially against the companys purposely using this service for financial gain.

Also a little tip is this hasn't been brought up before, if you are calling a company and find that you are always left on hold for a non-sales enquiry simply call sales and demand they sort the problem out, your be amazed how quickly sales answer the phone.

Yours sincerely

Neil Thomas
Managing Director

IP Logged

Anita

South East
Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2004 at 2:36pm

I'd like to congratulate Neil Thomas on his last post, admitting that he was mistaken over the 0845 number, and I appreciate that many companies use these with the intention of helping customers, unlike the 0870 numbers which are used to make money.

It would be nice if all companies followed his example and quoted both the 0845/0870 number and the geographical number on their web sites, letterheads etc, so the customer has the choice.

Thanks, also, for the tip about calling the Sales number.

Can I ask the name of your company?  I'd like to use, if appropriate!

Anita

Oops!  Sorry, I see you gave it in your first post  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2004 at 2:38pm by Anita »  

IP Logged

ConsumerAssist

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2004 at 4:19pm

Good Afternoon,

I am sorry to post "out-of-the-blue" but I am a regular user of this website and feel that the comments of lawyers and slander is a bit far fetched.

It is very hard to take someone, or some business for that matter serious, if they start chirping about lawyers over NGN Telephone Services.

Neil, Maybe you are one of the very few, may I add, Non-Geo Business users not out to make money from the 0870/0845/070 Telecom phase.

Which, if I may so is admirable, but please, this lawyer bumph. Please don't litter good sites with this material.
All fair you admitted you where harsh,

Would be happy to speak with you if you care to email me!

Keep up the good work Daniel!

Lilly Buntain

Consumer Assist

IP Logged

JC

Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2004 at 12:34pm

a lot of people now have phone deals where their geographical calls cost 5p per hour - national or local -   at any time. 0845 no.s charge at a normal local rate which is much more than this- 3 - 4p a minute, which is about 1500% more! It's not rocket science - they're a rip off: either by the companies that use them or BT

that's why so many people dislike them

all this talk of solicitors just angers people - not scare them. do your home work first , look at the deals around, and then you'll see why people hate 0845 & 0870 no.s.

jc

IP Logged

Dave H

Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2004 at 3:02pm

When Neil says "local rate", he means FULL BT local rate. No thinking person should be paying BT call charges. Most of us, as has been pointed out, pay a great deal less.

Incidentally, Neil, before making threats, you should learn the difference between slander and libel. You meant libellous, not slanderous. That, coupled with very poor spelling, punctuation and grammar, both here and on your Web site, do little for your credibility. Does that sound pedantic? I hope not. While few people would worry about such things on a forum, when you can't get the basics right on your Web site (i.e. your marketing), people will have difficulty believing that you will provide quality service and after-care. They may well be mistaken, of course, but they would be right to question it.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #10 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 4:48pm

I think the original point of 0845 numbers (used to be 0345), was that the call would be local rate from anywhere. Now we are seeing national rate and local rate being made the same. Also, some packages charge these numbers differently to geographic numbers, meaning that they are just another type of number where telcos can make money on an 'unlimited' call package.

0870s are another kettle of fish, which can only be there to make money, in just the same way as a premium rate number. They are at 'national rate', so why not charge national rate accordingly. As well, we have 070 personal numbers which are all charged a different rates, some being 50p/min  Shocked

How are you supposed to know what rate they are before you dial? I thought that was the point of the code changes some years back.

IP Logged

Bill Norman

Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 10:47am

You seem to miss the point that so many people these days sign up to all inclusive phone packages which provide virtually unlimited calls at varying times of the day AT ABSOLUTELY NO CHARGE WHATSOEVER!!!

This does not cover 0845 numbers and so you are creating an additional charge on us. The fact that it is a low rate charge is not the issue - people like you are costing us money AND WE DON'T LIKE IT!

If you want to be the Mr NiceGuy you claim to be, then published your geographical number as well. In that way everybody wins.

Bill   Lips Sealed

IP Logged

dorf

Reply #12 - May 15th, 2004 at 11:18pm

That is it again. It is all about deception which is why so many people can't see what is going on intially. They have been sold the idea principally by BT that these calls don't cost any more! It just aint true. See http://0870abuse.tripod.com

IP Logged

Rob Blay

Reply #13 - May 16th, 2004 at 11:46am

Neil

I signed-up for BT's all inclusive package of £29.50 per month expecting it to cover all my UK calls (as advised by the sales exec!).  Only to find out on reciept of my first bill, that 0845 and 0870 cost extra.  Cosequently, if a company offers contact only via 0845/0870 I don't call it - I only use geographical or freephone numbers.

BT are doing business a great disservice by promoting these non-geographical numbers without informing companies of the potential impact of the various tarriffs their  customers and prospective customers could be on - When I called BT to enquire about 0845/0870 they made no mention of the conflict with all inclusive packages.

I understand there are some very cheap 0800 packages available - I don't think they're with BT though!

All the best

Rob

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #14 - May 17th, 2004 at 2:58pm

Hi Rob, I think that your experience just shows the nonsense of the situation. There's no such thing as a free lunch, but BT seem insistant upon force-feeding it to us and making us pay for it.

The removal of BT Standard only highlights this fact, and combine that with the fact that BT Together Option 1 doesn't include these NGNs in its 5.5p for upto an hour, its downright arrogant of BT.

More about the removal of BT Standard is here.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge