Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
0845 numbers save you money (Read 110,774 times)
Kevin Kearney

Re: 0845 numbers save you money
Reply #15 - May 30th, 2004 at 10:52am

This was my contribution to Ofcom's Consultation  -  084 and 087 non-geographical telephone numbers.  It will be interesting to see have good the new Ofcom is.

084/087 number are in the same 08 category as free (080) telephone numbers.  This leads to confusion, with many thinking that 084/087 numbers are also free. This confusion is not only in the minds of consumers, but is prevalent in the minds of personnel of the various companies who use 084/087  numbers.  When I complain about the use of 084/087 numbers, I am constantly been told that they are free.   084/087 numbers are never less expensive than geographical numbers and companies often receive a premium (revenue sharing) based on the length of call, these numbers should be placed in the 09 category.

All users of non-geographical telephone numbers should print the cost of the calls near the telephone number, together with the amount of  premium  they receive.  I feel that there is an element dishonesty in receiving money from a person making a telephone call without disclosing that fact. Revenue sharing removes any incentive to deal with calls quickly, and as companies receive more money the longer the call lasts, it is an incentive to keep customers on the line for as long as possible.

Public or semi-public organisations which have a monopoly on their services (eg the Land Registry, Passport Agency and DVLA) should not use non-geographical numbers unless they provide an alternative geographical number.

It is ironic that when BT and other telephone providers are offering various call options to reduce or eliminate the cost of calls, companies and organisations, encouraged by revenue sharing, are increasingly using non-geographical numbers which are excluded from all those options.  BT?s Option 1, which is now to be introduced for all customers as a minimum option package, removes the cost distinction between national and local calls, this cost distinction is being perpetuated by the use of so called, and misleadingly named, local and national rate non-geographical numbers. 

By the insidious and increasing use of revenue sharing customers are being locked into making expensive non-geographical calls.  The price of non-geographical call can never go below the revenue sharing element of the call.

K Kearney

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #16 - May 31st, 2004 at 3:52pm

Well said, Kevin, I also submitted my views to Ofcom and they are very similar to yours.  The iniquity , particularly, of our own Government in using these expensive 0845 numbers for Benefits, Taxation, etc enquiries/problems is awful.
They are hitting the most vulnerable in our society with even greater, unnecessary, expenditure.
But if our politicians won't do anything what can be done??
I see that the Labour Party enquiries number is an 0870....  - and they want members!!!
What about a National Petition about non geographic numbers?

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ”

Peterborough
Reply #17 - Jun 2nd, 2004 at 1:06am

Quote:
084/087 numbers are never less expensive than geographical numbers and companies often receive a premium (revenue sharing) based on the length of call, these numbers should be placed in the 09 category.

No, actually they are the SAME ! Can YOU tell me how much they get for an 0845 call ?

Quote:
All users of non-geographical telephone numbers should print the cost of the calls near the telephone number, together with the amount of premium they receive.

See the query made above.

Quote:
Public or semi-public organisations which have a monopoly on their services (eg the Land Registry, Passport Agency and DVLA) should not use non-geographical numbers unless they provide an alternative geographical number.

Why ? Just for the likes of YOU & me on inclusive call plans ???

Quote:
BT's Option 1, which is now to be introduced for all customers as a minimum option package, removes the cost distinction between national and local calls, this cost distinction is being perpetuated by the use of so called, and misleadingly named, local and national rate non-geographical numbers.

But they ARE the same as Local and National rates ! And the rates are being changed to the same cost for both.  What more do you want - BLOOD  Undecided

Quote:
By the insidious and increasing use of revenue sharing customers are being locked into making expensive non-geographical calls.  The price of non-geographical call can never go below the revenue sharing element of the call.

Lets get this right.
INCLUSIVE plan customers
are getting hammered and you don't think it's fair !!  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #18 - Jun 2nd, 2004 at 3:56pm

Put quite simply, if I wish to call an 0845 number it will cost me around 3p a minute (BT 'original' local call definition), and I cannot get it cheaper.
If I use,for example 18866 , then a call to a geographic number - be it Local or National - will cost me 1p per min.
I just want companies to give me the option to save my hard earned money - not give it to BT or other Telcos, or themselves - by providing a geographic number.
All the 'smoke and mirrors' of DaveM about 'inclusive package customers' is just that. Anyone can get  these cheaper calls, regardless of 'packages', we just want the ability to be able to use them.
The bottom line is it does cost people more than necessary using 0845/0870 than it should, so why are we forced down this route - especially by Government agencies, Benefits Enquiries etc??  Write to your MP.

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ”

Peterborough
Reply #19 - Jun 2nd, 2004 at 4:21pm

Time for more controversy in Hell's kitchen ! Follow this thread for more
Cheap
Telco revelations.

Now apart from the fact that Neil Thomas above got his knickers in a twist because he didn't quite understand the purpose of this site, his intentions were good, as he said.  The use of 0845 for many large companies also benefits the caller because with call management it can route calls to the least congested call centre, which means less time waiting (and paying!!) for us.
And don't accuse me of being a BT lover, 'cos I've had about 10 other Telco's over the years, and I'm with 4 different ones now for different reasons (BT - ISDN line rental, Onetel - Anytime & TotalUkTalk, 1899 - International, Tiscali - about to dump).  It's just that I've seen so much rubbish on these forums about 0845, that I'm afraid I had to put a few things straight here.  At the moment let's stick with JUST the BT rates.
The prices shown below are per minute and inclusive of VAT.
Regional/

BT Standard rate

Local calls

National calls

Weekend
 1p  1p .   1.49p  1.49p
Cheap
 1p  1p .   3.95p  3.95p
Standard
3.95p 3.95p   .   7.91p  7.91p
ANYONE can see that using
is EXACTLY the SAME as a LOCAL call.   Agree ?
And that the
is EXACTLY the same as the National/Regional call.
So that would seem to blow all of you out of the water that just say "they cost more" !!

I'm not talking about the inclusive plans, so lets stick to the Basic UK user, of which there is still quite a high proportion. I don't disagree about the moneymaking schemes of
excessive menus
muzak
and
long queues
; I hate them as well.

Now let's look at the BT Option 1 rates, from July 1st -
Regional/

BT Option 1

Local calls

National calls

Weekend
 1p  1p .   1p  1.49p
Cheap
 1p  1p .   1p  3.75p
Standard
 3p  3p .   3p  7.51p
It's CHEAPER for most but especially Regional & National calls; only the cheap/weekend local calls stay the same!!!

Can someone explain to me where the hell BT is making all this money on the 0845 numbers, 'cos it baffles the !! out of me !  Don't forget also, that these aren't taking into account the
Friends & Family
and
Best Friend
discounts.

So for the MAJORITY of UK phone users on BT, using 0845 has been the CHEAPER option upto now.  Those that were on BT Option 1 before (myself included) will see NO difference in call costs but an increased line rental of £1 /month.  
Look at the Telcos list to compare them to the others.

Have a look at my 0845 and 0870 comparisons and give me some constructive feedback. I've only had Daniel and NonGeoMan with useful comments so far, so lets have some more.

I'm not disagreeing that 0845/0870 cost those of us on inclusive packages additional money, but contrary to overall opinion, they don't cost the standard user more! It's your choice not to use BT; it's a Free Country !!  Grin
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2004 at 4:47pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #20 - Jun 3rd, 2004 at 6:36am

But choice is not what we are getting!!  It's not a FREE country when our only means of phoning the Gov Agency is via one costlier route.
We are forced to go down the 0845 call, as the table shows at 3.9p/min,  because the Government agencies (my own personal 'beef') will not provide geographic numbers which would only cost us 1p/min using other call carriers (and only 0.5p/min I believe for one company!).  So, up to nearly 8 times more costly !!!
Firms using 0870 to extract even more cash from us should be boycotted.  That is what I do.

IP Logged

RBJ

0845 numbers save you money.  NOT!!!!
Reply #21 - Jun 3rd, 2004 at 4:50pm

I thought we had got beyond the point of debating whether 0845/0870 numbers are an expensive rip-off and moved on towards discovering more creative ways of avoiding them.

After reading Dave M. I am not so sure.

So back to basics. In the days before competition, when phone calls were expensive, 0870 and 0845 started life as numbers where callers, wherever they were in the country, paid the same local or national rate for their call. There was no cost difference in calling national/0870 or local/0845.

Along came competition and national rates were forced down to levels below BT's standard rate. I now find it cheaper to use a third party to call next door rather than make a BT local rate call.

BT maintained their national and local rates at the old high tariff. 0870/0845 are linked to this tariff.

Clearly, BT lost traffic as informed customers migrated to cheaper carriers. Their marketing folk realised that it would be a struggle convincing customers to pay high standard rates in a competitive market.

These clever marketers came up with a wonderful idea! Why not approach high traffic generators, offer them an 0845/0870 number and a slice of the action. This was a win/win situation for all parties except the humble consumer.

The traffic generators though it was Christmas. Now they were getting money every time someone called them. If they gave bad service and kept people hanging on they got even more money. Best of all the consumer could not bypass the number and had to pay the high rate. Many consumers did not and still do not realise that this is the case.

BT got more revenue and fuelled the gravy train by excluding 0845/0870 from their discount schemes. Competition entered the 0870/0845 market and, while not making BT any happier, enabled traffic generators to shop around for an even bigger slice of the action. If anyone doubts that big money is being made from 0870/0845 just do a google search on both. It is almost a feeding frenzy there are so many suppliers.

While all this was going on Offcom/Offsted just sat back and watched it happen. The official line being that if a consumer did not like suppliers using 0870/0845 they could take their business elswhere. Maybe they could in some cases but...

Our leaders have insisted on outsourcing many public services to a variety of service companies. Almost without exception when this happens 0870/0845 would appear in place of the old geographic numbers. As Firestop points out, the consumer seeking to renew her passport has absolutely no choice.
I wonder how many government departments have a clawback on phone revenue generated under outsourcing contracts.

Now we have a state of affairs where it is increasingly difficult to find a sizeable consumer supplier or government department who does not use 0870/0845.

BOTTOM LINE. 0870/0845 numbers have one purpose! To make the consumer pay higher telephone charges. They are premium rate phone numbers and should be regulated by ICTIS. Ideally with 09 prefixes to ram home the fact.

So please, no more 0845 is cheaper postings.

Mr WEBMASTER.
What about a hall of fame for companies who make a point of not using 0870/0845.
My nomination for the first member  TRAILFINDERS

Say No! To 0870.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: 0845 numbers save you money.  NOT!!!!
Reply #22 - Jun 7th, 2004 at 6:35pm

According to DaveM, we will be extremely marginally better off on BT Together after 1 July, rather than BT Standard for 0845/0870 calls! It appears BT don't want us to know this either! I assumed that they would be cheeky enough (and get away with it), to charge "standard" rates even though it won't exist!! Even so, the difference isn't worth anything.

Quote:
So back to basics. In the days before competition, when phone calls were expensive, 0870 and 0845 started life as numbers where callers, wherever they were in the country, paid the same local or national rate for their call. There was no cost difference in calling national/0870 or local/0845.

There's no such thing as a free lunch. Calls to mobiles are still extortion, and the mobile operators get away with having chargeable numbers for their customer service. It seems to me another case of the balloon being squashed at one end!

Quote:
Clearly, BT lost traffic as informed customers migrated to cheaper carriers. Their marketing folk realised that it would be a struggle convincing customers to pay high standard rates in a competitive market.

These clever marketers came up with a wonderful idea! Why not approach high traffic generators, offer them an 0845/0870 number and a slice of the action. This was a win/win situation for all parties except the humble consumer.

BT will always loose market share. As a sole monopoly they cannot gain any more! BT must compete in a 'market' where they have to provide service to everyone, no matter where. Very unfair from BT's point of view, hence the reason why they are in debt. It would seem logical to see the Royal Mail in the same way.

Quote:
While all this was going on Offcom/Offsted just sat back and watched it happen. The official line being that if a consumer did not like suppliers using 0870/0845 they could take their business elswhere. Maybe they could in some cases but...

That's all Ofcom seem to do. Investigations that ask these big companies to comment, along with consumers. It seems ironic that the only thing that BT seems to be engineering is ways to increase prices.

To me the 'service' is a telephone connection/line and network. To other service providers, they provide a service by piggy-backing onto BT's network instead of creating their own. Why, cause it's cheaper [for them]! So who's maintaining the network? The majority is BT's, but they don't spend the money cause it's not in their [the top directors'] interest [in the short term]!

Quote:
It's your choice not to use BT; it's a Free Country !!  Grin

It seems that my choice of being able look out of the window into my street and not see an unsightly number of cables draped indiscriminately from pole to pole is not available.

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ”

Peterborough
Re: 0845 numbers save some of us money
Reply #23 - Jun 7th, 2004 at 10:11pm

I totally agree !  But now show me a comparable supplier doing them cheaper.  Roll Eyes   I looked long & hard and couldn't find one that was worth it for anything else, & my rates are as low as any of them. They could be lower but then I've got rid of 90% of mine since finding this sites' database, and I'm finding more every day.

BTW, you could always opt for the potholes in the road caused by useless tw!ts that dug them up & buried cables, or get fried by the radio waves from unsightly phone/transmitter masts all around us. Better still, we could all have matching satellite dishes on our houses so we don't stand out.  Grin

IP Logged

RBJ

0845 numbers save you money.  NOT!!!!
Reply #24 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 2:19pm

This is getting very very frustrating. The point is not whether it might or might not be a wee bit cheaper to use BT to call an 0845 number than a third party to call a geographic number. I don't belive it is during weekdays when most people are likely to make calls. There are far bigger issues at stake and most consumer suppliers are not open at 3am.

Parliament decided that we would have competition in telecommunications.

BT and other providers use 0845/0870 to try and avoid the effects of competition. Instead of innovating and creating exciting products that people want to buy BT are constantly seeking to preserve their old revenue base.

With geographic numbers you can [b]C H O O SE[/b] which carrier to use. You the consumer are in control of the cost of your call whether you call from a mobile or a landline.

0845/0870 are designed to restrict your choice and force you to pay more. They are a historic revenue preservation exercise and are increasingly negating the intention of Parliament.

So let's concentrate on having them classified as premium rate and better still avoiding them.

Say No! To 0870.

IP Logged

John  Stonehouse

Reply #25 - Jun 11th, 2004 at 9:24am

I have an inclusive 24/7 package with NTL .. but still have a call charge of around £10 per month for 0870s and 0845s.  Even without a call plan .. the national rates are 3p  2p    and 1p.   A hell of a lot less than I have to pay for those nasty 0870s and less than 0845s.
Surely, if consumers got together.. businesses using 0870s could be made to act with honour ... maybe!

IP Logged

geoff soper

Croatia cheaper than an 0845 'Local number'
Reply #26 - Jun 11th, 2004 at 9:38am

It cost my company less to phone, peak time to Croatia than to make a 'local rate" 0845 ca1ll.  It cost me three times the cost to dial a normal national number than a 'Local Rate' number

They must be call these monopoly rip-off numbers 'Premium Rate Local Calls'  This thread shows that even supplier companies think wrongly 0845 saves you money.

IP Logged

muttley3141

Reply #27 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 10:32am

Quote:
I feel I need to point out that My Company www.audiovisiononline.co.uk spend a lot of money each year to save you money,.

Crap.

If you wanted to save people money, you'd just give them an ordinary geographical number.
(you remember geographical numbers: they're the ones that begin with 01 and 02)

In what alternative universe do you live if you think 0845 are cheaper than 01/02 ?

Certainly many/most/all calling plans that give bundled/free/inclusive calls specifically
exclude 0870/0845 and the like, meaning that someone has to pay to call you where they
would otherwise get them included.

If there are still carriers out there who charge 0845 cheaper than 01/02, then you could
at least give the geog number as an alternative.

Quote:
I do not gain a single penny from my 0845 numbers, I put them in place to promote contacting us and only being charged local rate

There hasn't been any such thing as "local rate" for a good many years now. All geographical
numbers cost the same (for a given supplier).

therefore i am now passing on this websites details to my solicitors for legal action against this
website and any slanderous comments on 0845 numbers.

OK. See you in court then. Saying something that is true is not slander.

Quote:
I was given the choice from the communications company of either a 0845 number which promotes cheap calls for consumers or an 0870 number which charges more to customers and gains money from consumers, I chose to go for a 0845 number in order to offer the ultimate service to my customers and save YOU the consumer money, only to find my service is being damned by this and similar sites.

You should go with a proper communications company then, a decent one that:
a) doesn't quote such meaningless terms as "local rate"
b) tells you the truth, that 0845 is almost premium rate in practice
c) offers you the option of a REAL geographic number

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #28 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 11:11am

Welcome to this website Muttley3141.

You have certainly been digging hard to find somewhere to make your first post.

The thread was started 2 years ago, and before your post was last updated in June 2004!!

You might have noticed that Neil Thomas had posted saying he was saving us money with 0845.  This was actually when BT Standard was still available, although as other people quite rightly pointed out, some people had switched over to all inclusive call packages, but this was the start of the 0870/0845 scam coming to surface.  Nowadays virtually no call provider can provide 0845 at a cheaper rate, but back then at least BT Standard customers did receive cheaper 0845 calls than geo calls, although most competitors would undercut BT's geo rates but not their 0845/0870 rates.

After a few more postings, Neil saw the light and admitted he was mis-sold his 0845 number and was told it came with a virtual receptionist which he found handy.  There's no such thing as a free lunch and it was paid for by receiving revenue from the calls!!

And upon visiting his website, and looking under contact us, no mention of the 0845 number, and a geo number for sales and customer support, which is sign of good customer service.

I think the best idea if you're going to post on a very old thread is to check the facts, and take into account the events at the time of posting.  Many companies have seen the light and admitted they were mis-sold 0845 and 0870 numbers, but mainly in the last 2 years which was around the time of starting this thread.

And before chucking more criticism at the original poster, you could have visited his website and seen for yourself that he had ditched 0845 in favour of a geo number, possibly thanks to this site, and of course Neil being a telecoms customer himself at home possibly realising that his calls to geo numbers are far cheaper than 0845 calls.

Any company that has the same number for sales and support is trying to maintain good customer service, and it would therefore be logical that he wants people to not pay a premium to contact him.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge