Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
make 0870 numbers 'Premium' (Read 22,489 times)
whitstable

make 0870 numbers 'Premium'
Mar 24th, 2004 at 5:15pm

To all members and friends. Write to Ictis and ask them to classify 0870 as 'premium'  service which means the call cost has to be displayed whenever mentioned. Premium services are those that charge above market  as 0870 does now and where the company gets a cut, so 0870 qualifies well.

IP Logged

ClarySage14

Re: make 0870 numbers 'Premium'
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2004 at 4:14pm

I contacted BT some months ago about companies receiving a financial advantage or 'cut' from using 0870 numbers - BT replied that NO cuts were received. Were they telling porkies?? Angry

IP Logged

Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2004 at 6:39pm

If you obtain an 0870 number from BT you can indeed earn money from calls received on that number (although not the highest rates compared to other
providers).  You can see this on BT's own website (A link to it is: http://tinyurl.com/2p7sw )

It states:  "You receive payment for call volumes in excess of 10,000 calls a month. You may also be eligible for discounts should you receive large numbers of inbound calls."

Apart from BT there are many other companies who sell these numbers, most offer revenue no matter how many calls are received.

Thanks
Daniel
http://www.saynoto0870.com

Check Out the main website at http://www.saynoto0870.com
IP Logged

Duncan McClymont

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2004 at 8:26am

There are back handers on 0870 and 0871 numbers.

I work for a call management software firm and we already class 0870 as premium rate within our software and reporting outputs - as it should be Smiley

IP Logged

dorf

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2004 at 11:10pm

Please take a look at http://0870abuse.tripod.com and join the protest. Make sure that you send a contribution to the Ofcom consultation and that you also make a separate complaint to Ofcom about these abuses. Do it NOW - or at least before the 31st May 2004 which is the cut-off date. Thanks.

IP Logged

kevin kearney

Reply #5 - May 30th, 2004 at 11:29am

Ofcom Consultation  -  084 and 087 non-geographical telephone numbers.  This was my response to Ofcom:-

084/087 number are in the same 08 category as free (080) telephone numbers.  This leads to confusion, with many thinking that 084/087 numbers are also free. This confusion is not only in the minds of consumers, but is prevalent in the minds of personnel of the various companies who use 084/087  numbers.  When I complain about the use of 084/087 numbers, I am constantly been told that they are free.   084/087 numbers are never less expensive than geographical numbers and companies often receive a premium (revenue sharing) based on the length of call, these numbers should be placed in the 09 category.

All users of non-geographical telephone numbers should print the cost of the calls near the telephone number, together with the amount of  premium  they receive.  I feel that there is an element dishonesty in receiving money from a person making a telephone call without disclosing that fact. Revenue sharing removes any incentive to deal with calls quickly, and as companies receive more money the longer the call lasts, it is an incentive to keep customers on the line for as long as possible.

Public or semi-public organisations which have a monopoly on their services (eg the Land Registry, Passport Agency and DVLA) should not use non-geographical numbers unless they provide an alternative geographical number.

It is ironic that when BT and other telephone providers are offering various call options to reduce or eliminate the cost of calls, companies and organisations, encouraged by revenue sharing, are increasingly using non-geographical numbers which are excluded from all those options.  BT?s Option 1, which is now to be introduced for all customers as a minimum option package, removes the cost distinction between national and local calls, this cost distinction is being perpetuated by the use of so called, and misleadingly named, local and national rate non-geographical numbers. 

By the insidious and increasing use of revenue sharing customers are being locked into making expensive non-geographical calls.  The price of non-geographical call can never go below the revenue sharing element of the call.

K Kearney

IP Logged

john thomas

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2004 at 9:25am

Hi all
What on EARTH is all the fuss over??  0870 are NOT premium rate numbers.  People calling in are only charged the SAME rate as a standard national rate number!!!!!

The cut, or revenue share, that companies recieve is a portion of that amount - NOT an additional amount.  For charities this is a valuable source of income since it DOES NOT cost their callers anymore money to call them, yet they get a small percentage back from the telco provider, thus lowering their costs and therefore enabling them to spend more of their money supporting their causes and members.

IP Logged

0870complainer

Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2004 at 4:13pm

I have just joined the site, as I am getting increasingly frustrated with being ripped off by companies using 0870 numbers for their business, and I hope, therefore, that I am not repeating what has already been said.

I know that 0870 numbers are not premium rate numbers. However, many telephone users have packages which mean they have free national and local calls within their monthly subscription.

Consequently, as I am one of these users, I get more and more annoyed at the companies, banks etc. etc. who are jumping on the 0870 bandwagon to make money from these calls.

I can call them free on a normal national number, but have to pay a considerable amount on an 0870 number. In fact, it was cheaper for me to phone New Zealand for 10 minutes than it was to call a credit card company in this country on an 0870 number for less time.

I believe there should be some means whereby the great British Public should be able to stop this national scam on our telephones and make the companies who are using these numbers own up to their customers and put the matter right.

Anyone got ant thoughts how this can be done???

IP Logged

neeyo

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 10:29am

I agree. I think the main problem is the public are not aware how much 0870 numbers cost to ring.
OK they are not 'premium'  numbers but they are dearer than  'normal' numbers.
And of course when you ring these numbers  you inevitably have to queue.
Why should a company   feel the need to make money from your phone call to them?
There should be more publicity about these numbers so companies are presssured to dump them.
What about Watchdog?

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 3:56pm

JohnThomas.
You say :- What on EARTH is all the fuss over??  0870 are NOT premium rate numbers.  People calling in are only charged the SAME rate as a standard national rate number!!!!!

What is 'standard rate'??  My definition might be the 'usual rate for the call' - and in this case not many people now pay almost 8p/min, surely?  In fact if you call a 'national' number like 0174832... BT will charge you 3p/min, but phone the national rate 0870....  and BT will charge you 7.9p/min, and 18866 will charge 0.5p/min if only it was an 'ordinary standard(?!) number!!!  Why not ask the question, "Why should it cost so much more simply because the digits dialled are different? "  and "Why have Telco's  arranged these numbers to be outwith the Options packages?".  Greed?
This is the scam, and so I also think 0870 should not be 'standard' - they are premium calls!

IP Logged

kevin kearney

Reply #10 - Jun 27th, 2004 at 9:59am

Competition in the telecoms industry appears to be working and gradually driving down prices in a number of areas, with one exception.  Of particular concerned is the increasing use and pricing of non-geographical (0870 and 0845) telephone numbers.  A trend that is driving up prices to the consumer..

Companies using 0870 numbers will, after 1 July 2004, be making their customers pay 4.5p per minute extra for daytime calls, as 0870 call cost 7.5p and the maximum cost of all geographical UK calls is 3p.  This is 150% over and above normal geographical telephone numbers making them true premium numbers.   The 4.5p extra charge is shared between the telephone operator and the company.  The companies share depends on the deal they have, but as far as the customer is concerned the calls cost them 4.5p per minute more than it should.

According to Ofcoms own research, a significant number of callers are not aware of the charges associated with 0870 numbers, those numbers should be advertised as premium numbers, together with a clear statement that they incur an extra cost of at least 150% above a normal geographical numbers.   A better solution would be to replace all 0870 numbers with 09 numbers, the numbers range designated as premium.

Enticed by extra income, companies are increasingly using 0870 for their normal communications. Even some Government agencies which have a monopoly on their services, and are often dealing with vulnerable sections of the community, are joining the bandwagon.

As the distinction between national and local calls is to be abolished on 1st July 04, there is now no justification for any organisation to use 0845 numbers, which never cost less than any geographical number, regardless of location.   There is no reason why 0845 numbers should not be included in BTs Option 3 and other similar packages.

The increasing millions of customer who pay extra £15 per month for  BTs Option 3 and other all-in schemes, who normally pay nothing for geographical calls, pay the full cost of calls to 0870 and 0845 numbers: 7.5p and 3p per minute.  Those customers are, in effect, forced to pay twice and goes against the general trend for price reductions.  It is invidious that at a time when BT is encouraging customers to use all-in pricing options, they are, at the same time, encouraging companies to use profit sharing non-geographical numbers, which are excluded from Option 3 and generate more money.

Taxpayers pay for Ofcom to regulate the telephone service, but their statements, appear to justify the position of the telephone suppliers.  On present performance, Ofcom could not be described as robust defenders of consumer interests. Ofcoms statements and consultation papers are prolix, convoluted and unnecessarily complex.

kk

IP Logged

sammy

Reply #11 - Jun 27th, 2004 at 10:45am

Absolutely correct, KK, I agree with all your comments, but would also add that the cost of calls to 0870 numbers can be 16 times more than using a carrier (18866  etc).  8p versus 0.5p/min !!!
And 0870/0845 are allowed to put you in queues for as long as they wish (or you can stand it) and are under no obligation to answer you - they just collect your money!!  At least 'Premium' numbers cannot have queues, so why not make 0870 'premium' as well??

People need to understand the rip-off going on here, how do we publicise it, though?  Nearly all the 'media' use these numbers themselves - so they are unlikely to help! 

IP Logged

Tim Waddle

Reply #12 - Jun 27th, 2004 at 6:39pm

Not wishing to make light of this important subject, but you're slightly off there!
Quote:
the cost of calls to 0870 numbers can be 16 times more than using a carrier (18866  etc).  8p versus 0.5p/min !!!
That would be
15 x more
if it were correct, but a 18866 call is
1p + 0.5p
which only makes it nearly 10 x more  Grin
Quote:
And 0870/0845 are allowed to put you in queues for as long as they wish ... !!
Just the same as they are on Geographic numbers !
Quote:
At least 'Premium' numbers cannot have queues
They just waffle at you for minutes on end about nothing interesting just to make the bill mount up !

Is there any chance of having meaningful discussions without half truths and emotional twaddle thrown onto the pile to compound it even more ?

IP Logged

Kevin kearney

Reply #13 - Jun 28th, 2004 at 12:51am

The correct address for the premium regulator is
icstis.org.uk

IP Logged

sammy

Reply #14 - Jun 28th, 2004 at 7:39am

Tim Waddle (the significance of your chosen title does not escape me!),

Sorry to correct you, but when you say
"
That would be 15 x more if it were correct, but a 18866 call is 1p + 0.5p which only makes it nearly 10 x more   
"
you are thinking the 1p is per min - it is not.  The 1p is a connection charge and only applied ONCE.  So as the call gets longer (as they always seem to!!) the significance of the 1p becomes progressively less!!
I will stand corrected on the 16 times more - it is only 15times more, then, (but depends which 0870 charge you take as base!).  Still even 15 times more does seem a trifle excessive, don't you think??
And if this conclusion about 'only 10 times more' that YOU make does not come under your accusation of 'half-truths', then what does?? Cry

If I needed to be in a queue, then I would be happier paying 0.5p/min than 7.5+p/min, was my point!

Never having phoned a Premium line, I confess to not knowing what actually happens in terms of the response, except that legally, there is no queueing allowed - and I still think 0870 should be in that category.

What non- emotional points would you care to debate?

KK, Thanks for the address, will contact them, too.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge