Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Excellent site - now how can we best complain. (Read 4,909 times)
BB

Excellent site - now how can we best complain.
Apr 23rd, 2004 at 9:57am

I just found this site - fantastic.  It's the only place I've found that is trying to address the problem of 0870 numbers.

I first became aware of the problem when our local garage switched, and I had to pay 8p/minute instead of 2.5p (as a then OneTel user) just to book my car in, so I now I can pay even more for my car service.

As this forum points out, more and more businesses are switching to 0870 numbers.  I looked at some recent phone bills and almost 10% of our call charges were for calls to 0870 numbers. 

So thanks for posting the geographic numbers, when they exist. However, maybe we can all find ways to complain.

In my opinion, this is now a real fraud, given that anyone who looks into it will not be paying more than 3p / minute for geographical calls. These numbers should indeed be classified as "Premium rate", as the only reasonable way to go.

So how do we complain?  I wrote to the Consumers Association, but as always they ignored my letter.  I looked at the Ofcom web site, but they don't make it easy to complain - saying they will only look at complaints when you have first approached your own supplier.

I did find uSwitch's excellent service via Ofcom - but guess what, their site doesn't give you costs for 0345 / 0870 numbers!  Well at least I could complain to them, and even found they have a free phone number:  Here it is  0800-093-0607.

In conclusion - a tremendous site, and we should all find ways to complain effectively about this scam.  Ideas welcome.

Brendan Blake.
l

IP Logged

dorf

Re: Excellent site - now how can we best complain.
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2004 at 11:21pm

You can best complain by joining the protest. Say no to 0870 day is coming up. In the meantime go to  http://0870abuse.tripod.com and join the protest. Make sure that you send a contribution to the Ofcom consultation and that you also make a separate complaint to Ofcom about these abuses. Do it NOW - or at least before the 31st May 2004 which is the cut-off date. Thanks.

IP Logged

BB

Re: Excellent site - now how can we best complain.
Reply #2 - May 18th, 2004 at 10:15am

OK thanks.

That's an excellent site.

I've both submitted a complaint to OfCom and also a submission to the OfCom consulation that is currently underway on 0870 numbers. 

I was concerned to see that OfCom are saying that not many consumers are complaining.  Let's have some more readers of this forum doing so!!  Smiley 

Thanks again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge