Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Why I have operate an 0870 number!! (Read 31,160 times)
Mike

Why I have operate an 0870 number!!
Jun 18th, 2004 at 6:37pm

Hi,

I run a company & we advertise an 0870 number - why simply because at night we can divert that call to another number to continue to get calls.

We cannot do that we a standard 01x or 02x number.

Yes we also advertise an alternative number (as an overseas number - but which anyone can use) - but we certainly do not do it for the revenue.

In fact we have Orange customers saying thank you to us for not using an 0845 - as it is CHEAPER for them to call an 0870 than an 0845!!

Oh and our fax number is also an 0870 - so all these junk faxes are earning us a penny a mniute Smiley

Call me greedy if you like  - but a) we can offer a better service to our customers and b) we hardly make anything on the calls.

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Re: Why I have operate an 0870 number!!
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2004 at 11:54pm

I think you'll find that you can
divert that call to another number
with an 0845 number also, at MUCHO less cost to us at the other end  Angry  Don't get me wrong. If you've been sold it with that purpose in mind, I think you need to talk to the salesman and kick him . . . . .  Undecided
I commend you for providing a Geographic number also (for those of us overseas)  Roll Eyes  Have you provided an alternative for the fax also, or would you provide it if asked, for legitimate customers (not the SpamMan) ??
I know what you mean about
hardly making anything on the calls
. That only happens when you get over a certain call volume, and then it takes a while to cover the rental costs. On a fax line I doubt if it ever would, but the Anti Spam side is an advantage.
Just please try to cover all the bases for us poor souls at the other end of the line that
HATE 0870
Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2004 at 11:41pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 7:41am

So you are offering a 'better service to your customers' - but at approximately 16 times the cost TO THEM. Hardly customer friendly ???

IP Logged

Mike

Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 10:33am

So would you prefer me to not answer customer calls at 11pm????

Yes - I do also have an 0845 - but I can't divert that number as easily as the 0870 number.

However it is clear for all callers the standard 01x number - it is just that after 5.30pm it will not get answered by a human.

If there was a system that allowed us to divert 01x numbers for free then we would grab it with open arms - but there isn't.

The problem is firestop - instead of criticising every company for offering a service to the clients - you need to come up with viable alternatives - so that we can offer the same service at a lower cost.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 3:00pm

You could give out your geographic number as the 'main' number and put on your advert the 0870 as your 'Out of hours' number. That way, you don't force people to use it.

IP Logged

Stickems

Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 3:55pm

I don't believe you.

IP Logged

richard battell

Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 9:15pm

do what you like - but I NEVER deal with any company that makes me use an 0845 or 0870 number.  I have a free telephone package - why should I pay for calls to you, and people like you, when I have already paid my telco.

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 12:31am

Quote:
I NEVER deal with any company that makes me use an 0845 or 0870 number.
I have a free telephone package - why should I pay for calls to you
Well you're probably one in a minority and welcome to your opinion, and you know what they say about those -  
we've all got one
! Grin
If you want the product and the AFTER HOURS service, you can pay more for it, pay extra for insurance, or pay for your call to be put through to an out of hours service provider. Oh, or you could
do without
!!

I'm in the service industry and from my previous poston this subject you can see my views.

The money to pay for it has to come from somewhere, either in higher product prices, higher service charges or you paying extra on the phone call for a service to redirect it to another number.
Stop belly-aching; make up your mind how YOU want to pay. Why should others pay for your service call  ???

This is why I have NO PROBLEM with my ISPs charging premium rates for calls to their support team.
I DON'T USE THEM
so I don't have to pay them !  If I need it, then I have to bite the bullet or use email.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2004 at 12:35am by DaveM »  

IP Logged

SavingDosh

Smile!! You're Alive!!

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 2:01pm

I would personally like to say that I have two 0800 numbers for customer service of my company who only charge £2 rental fee and 7.5p peak and 6.7p off peak.

Documented evidence shows that as much as 14% never make a call (even to geographic numbers) UNLESS a company has an 0800 number.

Can your company afford to to lose that many customers?

I also hate 0870 numbers. Oh yes btw they are connected to TWO different target numbers.

AND if you want to CHANGE the target number anytime you can do by just calling them during office hours.

My question would be are you willing to change YOUR ideas on this 0870 number issue due to the fact there is going to be a 150% increase in the charge to customers or stick your head in the sand.

No offence meant by that statement to you personally but can you see the name of the site you have put your post on????

If not LOOK ABOVE. Oh yea just one final thing the company who provide the 0800 number is TELECOM PLUS and you can reach them here:

TEL: 020 8955 5555
FAX: 020 8955 5500

Please notice they dont give out a 0870 number for their customer service. Wink

Losses arnt a waste of time. They are an apprenticeship.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 2:53pm

To have a non-geographic number which is connected to local rates is a good idea. However, 0845 seems to have been allowed (by Ofcom) to move away from this.

What's the point in a national rate number even if it is aligned with the cost of a call to a national number? If I'm calling a company which is local to me I expect to pay a local call rate, not a national one, even if the company operates nationally (eg Direct Line)!

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 2:57pm

SavingDosh

Good for you !  Now answer these questions truthfully:-
-
Where is the money coming from to pay for those calls to your company
?
-
Is it Customer Service or Product Support that you are providing
?
-
Are they answered out of business hours by a someone able to do anything other than take details
?

In a service based industry, SUPPORT (Not Customer Service) calls have to be paid for by someone. When Customer Services deluged with Support calls, the
service
suffers as everyone tries to get it for free. SUPPORT costs money !
Quote:
- instead of criticising every company for offering a service to the clients - you need to come up with
viable alternatives
- so that we can offer the same service at a lower cost.

BTW, there is NOT going to be a 150% increase as everyone seems to be throwing about. The cost of National
AND
0870 calls is reducing leaving a 150% disparity between them.    Lips Sealed

IP Logged

SavingDosh

Smile!! You're Alive!!

Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 6:04pm

Hello DaveM. Thanks for your reply. I think I need to re clarify things a little here. When I said my company, I didnt mean a large company that I work for. I meant MY company.

Its quite small business with me being a sole trader. The freephone number I have is for the benefit of my customers. One is linked to my house and the other is to be linked to an external mailbox for something else Im setting up.

I took the service from Telecom Plus as it was very reasonable, with no setup fee and the numbers didnt cost anything unless I specifically wanted a memorable number.

When I want to change the destination number for either of these numbers, all it takes is a phone call which in fact costs nothing to change which was a factor in my taking up the service.

You said: Where is the money coming from to pay for those calls to your company ?

I pay for these calls  
Smiley

You said: Is it Customer Service or Product Support that you are providing.

Its Both
 Smiley

You said: Are they answered out of business hours by a someone able to do anything other than take details?

They are answered by me. PERSONALLY
Smiley

When I got these numbers it was for the purpose of providing a service that was unlike any other company like mine.

No-one in my area who are in the same trade as me provides a freephone service for their customers. I find it is BETTER for business when you do this as you are still able put the whole bill through your books as a tax deductable expense.

Hope this answers your question
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2004 at 9:30pm by SavingDosh »  

Losses arnt a waste of time. They are an apprenticeship.

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 9:43pm

Congrats; same business, just a couple more in mine (not ONLYME as my friend called his).  Smiley

I had the same problem years ago when people started taking liberties with my spare time (& expected not to pay for it). What little spare time you get in this business with accounts, VAT and other admin ! Not to mention Tech work  Lips Sealed 

While I agree that custards are our biggest asset, they can also be our biggest problem. Companies with more than a few people are not as able as ourselves to absorb those costs, especially if it starts to be intrusive.
If people pay for 4 hour or 8 hour cover you expect it, but if you're like me, they're normally Next Day cover. You paying for the phone & doing the out of hours support is for
ONLY YOU
(just like I do). Bigger companies have to pay the bills & others to do the work, and that money has to come from somewhere.   Undecided

I doubt having a freephone number is of benefit in your case, even though it's lower cost than any other I've seen. (I must look at TC+ again - my mate is an associate member)
I think that just NOT being an 0845 or 0870 service is enough these days to keep custards happy.

The 0800 option you detailed above may be a
viable alternative
in Mikes case; it would be nice to hear his opinion on it.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2004 at 1:01am by DaveM »  

IP Logged

gibby

Reply #13 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 6:41pm

01 numbers can be diverted.

Simply purchase a number from a telco for this use and in some cases the divert option is covered by a yearly setup fee of £30 + vat.

they are handy as firms do need to divert them - to other addresses.

0800 numbers can do the same too.

However - using an 0800 number correctly should increase the number of calls by upto 300% - if you use the correct marketing.

I Know as I used to work for a firm selling these numbers.

Typically it was poor business ppl who avoided using 0800 as they thought it was going to cost them money - but it will increase business if used right.

from the many customers we had the ones with the customer care attitude did very well and the neg heads with 0870 were usually in trouble as they needed the revenue to keep alive.

customers have the choice and as this publicity grows they will avoid idiot firms.

G

IP Logged

PennyMunn

Reply #14 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 12:57am

If you make 'hardly anything' on these calls, then you surely won't object if I campaign to make it illegal for companies to make any money at all on their non-geographical numbers. You can continue to offer your service, and your customers can continue to use it if they choose. Meanwhile, we can all be that much more certain that we're not having our time and money wasted by companies using 0870 numbers to benefit themselves more than their customers.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge