Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Who here has a mobile phone? (Read 5,107 times)
Mike

Who here has a mobile phone?
Jun 19th, 2004 at 11:26am

Just a thought....

What number do you give to people to get hold of you?

a) Your home number only
b) Your mobile number only
c) Both your home number & your mobile number

I reckon that many people will just give a mobile number out?

Isn't that calling like the pot calling the kettle black?

Surely if you are concerned about cost, you should only ever give out a landline number or if you ever give out your mobile, always give a landline alternative.

Otherwise you will get the situation where people are paying a higher rate, when they are calling you, yet you might be at home or somewhere else where there is a landline.

What do you fill in on forms for your contact number - a mobile or always just a landline?

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Re: Who here has a mobile phone?
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 12:47pm

Personally, my headed paper carries address, landline (phone & fax) , email and website .
This I consider more than sufficient.  For close friends and family, they know to use mobile only if landline is  unanswered.
Most people are aware that calling mobiles is more expensive, I do not think the same applies to 0870xx, which are advertised as 'National Rate Charged', but are at 7.9p/min whereas BTs national rate can be as low as 3p, and 18866 as low as 0.5p/min.  This is where the 'confusion' for customers comes in. 
I don't think your analogy is really completely sound, if it was intended to apply to the 0870 discussions.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2004 at 3:07pm

To a friend usually mobile, will give land line if requested.

To a company I give my landline number as I don't want to be contacted for marketing on my mobile. I give my mobile to a company to allow them to contact me for non-marketing purposes only.

IP Logged

myfonefred

You telecom problems solved!

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 4:21pm

I have happened across this web/forum by chance; some useful chat here.

regarding mobile, I think it does depend whether it is for business or personal use;

I run my own company from home but want to use a more sterile number and therefore have an 0870 pegged through to my business line at home. the 0870 is free but then I don't get any revenue from the calls.. then again I don't really get emough calls to to really make a difference on the 2p per minute revenue (daytime).

One thing I do use though and find it very useful is good old 1571, the full call minder version as I do not publish my mobile nuumber. BT have a slight lingering attachment to old 'Cellnet' now O2, in that call minder and O2 mobiles can be linked together.... only O2 get full integration. It works like this...

If someone rings your landline and you are busy or not there , call goes to 1571. So long as you have your mobile registered to your account and turn off O2 voicemail, Call minder will ring your mobile and tell you that you have a message (you don't pay for this call), when answered you just press 1 to get the message. If you are driving (with bluetooth of course) you can use voice commands to interact with the system, listen, save, delete etc.

If you do not answer the mobile when 1571 rings you then 1571 sends an SMS to you saying you have a message.

Now, all you do is dial 1571 from the mobile and you get your messages... or if driving just use voice promts to ring voicemail and then talk to 1571.

Further... if you turn off the O2 mail and type in 1754 and send you then direct your missed calls to your 1571 call minder mailbox!

Bingo both your landline and mobile calls all go into a single mailbox and when you get a message left the sytem finds you... either at home on landline or if thats busy it rings you on mobile or texts you.

It is great, does cost you a little eachg month to BT for the call minder service, but if you use CLI and maybe another service anyway you can get a bundle price; It is v good value and for business purposes means you can have one mailbox only which is probably the best bit.

reagrds Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge