Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Calling 0870 and 0845 numbers from the USA (Read 7,271 times)
ilford

Calling 0870 and 0845 numbers from the USA
Jun 26th, 2004 at 7:59pm

I have just discovered this site with help from a friend in the UK. I was born in the UK but now live in the US and still deal with UK companies like Banks etc.

Although some companies used to provide 01 or 02 numbers for calling from overseas, they sre now very reluctant to do this. I was in the UK during April and May and was surprised how the 870/845 switchover had proceeded in the last couple of years These numbers are pure profit centres for everyone involved. Even US airlines and car rental companies seemed to have also jumped onto the bandwaggon.

After 20+ years in the USA I am used to Companies paying for me to call them, using toll free numbers. I have to say however that with flat rate phone plans now common here, you can make all the calls you want within the US for $25-$30 a month (mobile and land line)

The problem is much more acute when I only have an 845/870 number. To call regular 01/02 numbers costs me 1c a minute, calls to 0845/870 numbers are 25c a minute. When companies keep you on hold for 20-30 minutes, as seems quite common, it really makes it impossible to do business with the UK. At least here, if they keep you on hold, they are paying.

Keep up the good work.

IP Logged

KK
Ex Member

Re: Calling 0870 and 0845 numbers from the USA
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2004 at 10:09pm

If you send a copy of your post in the form of a complaint, to the following it may help.

Department of Trade and Industry 
dti.enquiries@dti.gsi.gov.uk

and

Ofcon
contact@ofcom.org.uk

K Kearney

IP Logged

ilford

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2004 at 10:44pm

Thanks for the addresses. I will do as you suggest.

IP Logged

ilford

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2004 at 9:36pm

Thought I should play the same game with 0870 as the big boys. Halifax plc are notoriously difficult to get hold of. Even their so called 'International Number' keeps me in a queue for 20-30 minutes from the USA. They do however have a box where, if you enter a UK number, they will call you back.

I have now registered an 0870 number with CallUK, which connects directly to a phone in the US using FWD.
I intend to ask them to therefore call me on my 0870 number. It will be interesting if I do actually get a call back.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge