Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Site less interesting? (Read 13,536 times)
omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Site less interesting?
Sep 6th, 2004 at 8:29am

I am a new registrant, although previously had occasionally posted as a guest.
Since registration became obligatory I feel that the quantity (and, dare I say, quality) of the site has fallen.
If it was not for DaveM's generally acerbic contributions the site would be a bit sparse.   Do you still feel registration was the best way forward?  Is DaveM  too 'all-knowing'?
We need to know Grin

IP Logged

robinp

Hampshire
Re: Site less interesting?
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2004 at 9:15am

Hi emy, I can't agree with you about the deterioration of the site. I don't know whether your opinion of DaveM as "all-knowing" was meant as a compliment or sarcasm. I haven't been a member that long. However, I have found him very helpful & his comments have been constructive & many times very humorous. I suspect that he is a very intelligent man. Keep up the good work DaveM.

robinp

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2004 at 10:02am

No offence intended!
But the site does not seem to have the same vibrancy as it did, I used to enjoy seeing a lot of discussion about the invidious 0870 numbers, but now there seem to a dearth of 'active' correspondents.
Used to like the 'rough and tumble' of the 'all-comers' open site.  Just an opinion.
ps We are all intelligent people - that's why we are here. Wink

IP Logged

robinp

Hampshire
Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 10:28am

Hi omy,  Fair enough, point taken!!!

robinp

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2004 at 8:00am

3 days and not single post on any site (with the exception of DaveM, moderator).
I think my theory on closing site to non-registered is being proven.
Pity, I did find the site was lively before.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2004 at 10:01am

One of the difficulties with making forums open to registered members only (for posting) is the increasing use of more secure browsers. The issue is due to mandated cookies. Some sites are not set up to be seamless for cookies, so if someone using a more secure browser has allowed cookies at log-on and then more cookies are mandated in an incoherent fashion on other pages they can be locked out from posting. This has occurred for instance on the Moneysavingexpert discussion forum, and many previous contributors have been locked out from posting. 

However, it is not my experience that this is a problem on this particular forum. I am using a secure browser with selective cookies as I allow them. I have no difficulty using this forum since registration was required, since it seems to have been set up correctly with secure browsers in mind. So perhaps it is just that some do not want to bother with registering?

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2004 at 10:53am

I understand, but I am just pointing out that the site seems to have got much 'quieter' lately - or have people lost the will to discuss/fight/publicise the 0870 rip-off?
Pity really.

IP Logged

robinp

Hampshire
Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2004 at 12:23pm

It might well be omy that active members are aware that ofcom is supposedly having a review about non-geo nos. this month. So they could be holding off until a decision is made,(if they ever make one!!!)

robinp

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2004 at 7:09pm

Quote:
But the site does not seem to have the same vibrancy as it did, I used to enjoy seeing a lot of discussion about the invidious 0870 numbers, but now there seem to a dearth of 'active' correspondents.

If there's nothing to talk about then there's no point talking about the same old things. As the site grows, more and more people hear about it and read it.

If people wish to contribute something, then they can become a member. It's simple and we can identify who's posted what.

Quote:
3 days and not single post on any site (with the exception of DaveM, moderator).
I think my theory on closing site to non-registered is being proven.
Pity, I did find the site was lively before.

As for not posting for 3 days, I notice you didn't post either. Infact, to date you have posted 5 times, four of which are in this thread!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge