Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cut and Paste (Read 16,837 times)
Maddie

Cut and Paste
Sep 17th, 2004 at 2:20am

Hiya
   I was just wondering if there was a way to enable cutting and pasting when entering details for a search.  This would make it a lot easier when checking for 0845/0870 numbers you have dialed from an online bill.
   Please excuse me if you can do this and I'm being stupid.
Thanks
Maddie

p.s. thanks for all the numbers!!

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: Cut and Paste
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2004 at 10:14am

Cut and paste works for me. Highlight the number in your bill, press Ctrl-C, click in the "Search for a number box", press Ctrl-V.

I should add the caveat that I use Linux and not Windows, so it could be that they've made an attempt to disable certain browser features using Javascript.

It never ceases to amuse me that site authors think they can control what people can do with information once it is in their computer. They can't!

In my opinion, Windows is far more of an abomination than non-geographical phone numbers. Just as companies try to force people to use rip-off numbers, which can be circumvented; Linux allows me to circumvent all sorts of restrictions (downloading internet radio to listen later for example) - plus of course, Windows is a rip-off too.

IP Logged

Maddie

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2004 at 12:07pm

Thanks jrawle
I have realised that Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V work, but clicking the right mouse button doesn't, which is what I was trying to do.
Maddie

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2004 at 12:20pm

I just looked at the HTML source the for page, and sure enough, there's a Javascript to disable right click. Isn't this feature really helpful for people trying to look up geographical numbers?!  Angry

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2004 at 4:32pm

Apart from the Ctrl-C & Ctrl-V, there's always the menu at the top of the window. The number of people (a lot of them quite experienced) that can't navigate without the mouse baffles me sometimes. You don't need a mouse, Honest !! It's very often a LOT faster using the keyboard and shortcuts.

Cut/Copy/Paste are all under
Edit
menu and View
Source
is under
View
menu !!

Another stupid trick is to "page protect" to try & prevent copying of the graphics & data on the page, except that the page data is downloaded in pieces to the Temporary Internet Files directory, so you don't need to copy them - you already have them !!

I don't know why Daniel put a block on use of the right mouse button on the
SayNoTo0870
pages. I can only suggest that you ask him direct by instant message.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2004 at 4:36pm

Quote:
Apart from the Ctrl-C & Ctrl-V, there's always the menu at the top of the window. The number of people (a lot of them quite experienced) that can't navigate without the mouse baffles me sometimes. You don't need a mouse, Honest !! It's very often a LOT faster using the keyboard and shortcuts.

It's even better if you use Linux (or any X11-based desktop for that matter). Simply highlighting something copies, and then you press the middle mouse button to paste. No keyboard shortcuts needed, and no opening menus!  Grin

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #6 - Sep 17th, 2004 at 5:21pm

I presume you're using Microsoft Internet Explorer. I've been using Mozilla Firefox for months now and I've never looked back. I still keep Internet Explorer for those sites that don't display properly in Firefox.

There's more features including options to stop website from disabling right-clicking among other things. Find as you type is useful. To find text in IE, you have to select Edit > Find. To find text in Firefox you simply type away on the web page.

IP Logged

rizla01

Essex
Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2007 at 4:02pm

Posted by DAVE. So why have you posted another thread?   

Look at the FAQs!

This thread is closed and will be removed shortly.

You ask me a question then close the thread preventing an answer?

Perhaps some of us are just too busy searching for the answer to any queries on the net and find it easier to just ask assuming that someone will be helpful enough to answer. Roll Eyes

So sorry if this goes against your rules!

Thanks for your reply, anyway.

IP Logged

longhotsummer

Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2007 at 11:46am

Why-oh-why are we STILL unable to use right-clicking here?  I want to paste in to the site search box an 087 number, which I have copied from an internet search.  Yes, I know that I can use the keyboard to do this, but not many 'lay-people' do.  I also want to copy a number obtained from the site and e.mail it to someone.  Why do I have to either use the keyboard or write it down?

It's more than time for this website to change these restrictions.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2007 at 5:17pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge