Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Nationwide Building Society (Read 222,546 times)
NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: Well done NATIONWIDE
Reply #15 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 3:25pm

Barbara wrote on Dec 29th, 2006 at 2:30pm:
Ah this ties in nicely with my comments about them last week in being so efficient that they got my son's replacement for his lost debit card to him in only 3 working days, in the run up to Christmas.   I said they were good people and always very helpful on the telephone as well.

The point is that you the members of Nationwide Building Society own it so it is your interest rather than that of shareholders that they are inclined to put first.  To be fair to Nationwide they only use 0845 for their national call centres (using geographic numbers for all their branches which you can get through to directly) because they are on several sites and up to now it has not been possible to offer call transfer and redirection across multiple sites without a great deal of inconvenience without using 0845 numbers.  This will obviously change when 03xx numbers are launched shortly.

As to Nationwide being the first to admit that customers with call packages do not like calling 0845 in fact they were beaten to it just before Chrismas by www.aceinternet.co.uk who released their main 0161 geographic number as an alternative on their website specifically because they said 0161 was not liked by customers with inclusive call packages (also mentioned in their press release in the thread I started on this topic).

Also the ISP www.vivaciti.co.uk has just said they will be changing from 0870 numbers to 0800 numbers as a direct result of the thread I started relating to rival Entanet ISP Freeola using 0871 numbers and calling them National Rate that then developed into a wider discussion of the calling costs to contact all the various Entanet ISP resellers including ADSL24 (already 0800), UKFSN (London 020) and the rest (all previously 0845, 0870 or 0871).

So little by little the message gets through in some places.  The main scandal is Ofcom not taking advertising saying 0845 and 0870 are not Local/National rate and will cost you extra if you have an inclusive call package and off peak.  They will have no excuse for not doing this once they make 037 numbers available and I for one will be making various FOI enquiries asking what their plans are for taking such advertising.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2009 at 10:32pm by Dave »  

<div style=

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #16 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 8:08pm

Nationwide have clearly taken noteice of the 08xx problem. At least 2 and a half cheers also to Firstdirect who make no secret of their geo number for phone banking.

http://www.firstdirect.com/contact_us.shtml

It's not prominently displayed in all their literature but they don't attempt to conceal it either.

To be fair, Firstdirect have been using 0845 (previously 0345) since 1989 when it offered a genuine advantage to customers who didn't have to pay something like 11p/minute (I think it was that much then for a call in the morning) for a national rate call from much of the country.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2007 at 8:09pm by allegro »  

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #17 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 8:57pm

Oh lord, NGM; Ofcom to introduce 037?
Right let's really mess up the UK Numbering Scheme, rather than merely use 082, for example.
What a depressing start to the New Year.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #18 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 1:12am

Tanllan wrote on Jan 4th, 2007 at 8:57pm:
Right let's really mess up the UK Numbering Scheme, rather than merely use 082, for example.

Come to think of it actually these will be 0345 numbers for Nationwide as the mad Ofcom scheme involves a special 0300 number for government departments that most of them will not use as they will be converting 0870 and 0845 numbers into 0370 and 0345 instead as this allows you to be guaranteed retention of the last 6/7 digits of the number.

I'm not sure why you suggest that 082 would be better Tanllan?  Clearly what should have happened is all continuing revenue share numbers moving from 08 to 09 or possibly a separate lower cost previously unused revenue share indicating prefix like 06.  Meanwhile 08 would have become a home as it originally was only for Freephone numbers and all non geographic numbers not involving a revenue share and included in fixed price calling plans should have been moved on to 03 or 04 according to one's preference (04 surely the better choice as it has no historic use so unlikely to cause confusion with the old 0345 that was not part of bundled call minutes etc at the time).

Anyhow its good to know you are still there Tanllan.  Having had no missives from you in the post in recent times I had begun to think you had perhaps thrown in the towel on the whole struggle.  Speaking of which I wonder how mc661 carries out his campaigning in this area these days.  And what news of our at one time prolific contributor Juby? Undecided
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2009 at 10:32pm by Dave »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #19 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 7:15pm

082?
Really thinking of retaining 03X for geographic expansion and using another part of 08X for non-geog numbering, whilst allowing 087's and 084's revenue "sharing" to die. Rather like 0891 was used when 0898 had been "sullied".

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #20 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 7:25pm

Tanllan wrote on Jan 5th, 2007 at 7:15pm:
082?
Really thinking of retaining 03X for geographic expansion and using another part of 08X for non-geog numbering, whilst allowing 087's and 084's revenue "sharing" to die. Rather like 0891 was used when 0898 had been "sullied".

But 08 should be for Freephone only use so people would still be confused.

04 has never been used for phone numbers so why not put all NGNs charged at geographic rates on that code whilst keeping 03 for future GN expansion if/when 02 is ever exhausted.  That is if calling something resembling an email address instead hasn't become more common that phone numbers by that time.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2009 at 10:33pm by Dave »  

<div style=

IP Logged

rydaway

Reply #21 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 5:40pm

Yup, WELL DONE, NATIONWIDE.

If all their (so called) advisers are busy, they now provide the facility to leave a number and they will call back.

The nice thing is, they did Grin

rydaway

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #22 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 5:57pm

At Nationwide the customer is still King. Smiley Smiley Smiley

<div style=

IP Logged

ollieonline

Reply #23 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 8:11pm

Tanllan wrote on Jan 4th, 2007 at 8:57pm:

082 is used already for schools dial up internet access. Calls to these numbers are free for registered schools for a certain ammount of time each day.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2009 at 10:34pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

trubster

10 Meg Broadband Rocks...

Sheffield
Reply #24 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 9:38pm

Thinking of changing from Barclays to Nationwide after hearing this.... I notice Barclays or Halifax arent too forthcoming with there geo numbers.....

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #25 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 9:46pm

trubster wrote on Jan 10th, 2007 at 9:38pm:
Thinking of changing from Barclays to Nationwide after hearing this.... I notice Barclays or Halifax arent too forthcoming with there geo numbers.....

The best reason to change to Nationwide is overseas credit card use and overseas cash machine withdrawals.

The Nationwide blue Visa debit card charges no fee at all for use at overseas cash machines (however small the withdrawal) and the exchange rate conversion is also not subject to the 2.75% foreign exchange rate levy (hidden ripoff fee) that was sneakily introduced by virtually all other card operators 5 to 10 years ago.  Also Nationwide Visa credit card transactions at overseas shops and restaurants are not subject to 2.75% foreign exchange rate levy although there is a 1% fee for cash machine withdrawals on the credit card (still lower than the opposition credit cards charge) hence it being better to use the blue Visa debit card to make the cash withdrawals.  These cards also come in handy for buying goods and services from overseas suppliers online as everything is 2.75% cheaper than with rival cards.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2009 at 10:34pm by Dave »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #26 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 9:18am

Endorse NGMGhost's comments. I compared my Nationwide Cash Card to my Sainsbury's Credit card use in France last year and the saving on the different rates used was huge. For convenience I'll still use Credit Cards, but I now make much more use of cash abroad via cash point m/c using the N/w card.

The other benefit is that often with other cards not only do you have a percentage charge on withdrawls but you have a minimum fee which encourages you to take out large amounts at one time as otherwise the precentage charge is actually even higher. Because none of this exists with a Nationwide card you can take out amounts appropriate to your requirements e.g. a little and often and not carry around wads of cash.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #27 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 9:32am

Keith wrote on Jan 11th, 2007 at 9:18am:
For convenience I'll still use Credit Cards, but I now make much more use of cash abroad via cash point m/c using the N/w card.

The Nationwide Visa Credit Card (not blue but Gold in my case) is also immune from the 2.75% foreign exchange rate levy, unlike almost any other card apart from one I think CIS launched recently.

So the rule is Blue Nationwide Visa marked debit card for cash machine use overseas and other Nationwide visa credit card (various possible colours depending which one you got but not marked debit card) in shops and restaurants.

Of course back in the UK I use my MBNA Conran Visa card for all transactions as it gives me 1% Cashback at the end of each account year on everything.   This is not a lure you in deal as Sir Terence Conran's design feature apart from a very pretty card was one that gave you a share of the profits.  Its been running the 1 % cashback for the last five years.  This is unlike people like Morgan Stanley who lure you in with high cashback and then slash the rate a few months later.

See www.conran.com/activities/creditcard.html

and

www.dooyoo.co.uk/credit-card/conran-credit-card/1029664/

Basically the card to use in the UK if you pay off your bill in full each month.  Not the card to use abroad as 1% cashback is less good than the Nationwide foreign exchange rate levy saving plus Conran card also charges £3 minimum cash machine withdrawal fee.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2009 at 10:35pm by Dave »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #28 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 1:39pm

NGMGhost:

Thanks for that I will look at the N/w credit card for holidays.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Nationwide BS - no not working
Reply #29 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 10:28am

In the course of an abortive session trying to get through to Nationwide Card Services (fortunately using the geo no NOT 0845 as have been on hold for 40mins without success so gave up!) I discovered one of the numbers in the database gives the message "no longer available".   It is 01793 556811 which now redirects to 08457 302010) so perhaps this could be removed.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge