Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Nationwide Building Society (Read 221,555 times)
PaulR

Manchester
Nationwide Building Society
Sep 17th, 2004 at 1:55pm

I have been pursuing this issue, unsuccessfully with the Nationwide for a couple of months.  The key text of their latest (and final) reply is:

"We have thought about your concerns carefully and reviewed with BT the systems we use for members to contact us by telephone.  This review has highlighted that the introduction of additional numbers or a change to geographical numbers would be difficult to manage, and subsequently, have an adverse impact on the level of service we're able to provide"

Really the answer is - we can't be bothered.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2009 at 10:44pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Re: Reply on 0845 from Nationwide BS
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2004 at 2:37pm

I daresay that they may change their tune after the 0fcom consultation...

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Reply on 0845 from Nationwide BS
Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2004 at 5:02pm

They reviewed it with BT...so BT convinced them to use NGNs as it's in their interest!

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Nationwide sigh!
Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 5:17pm

I'm a fan of Nationwide using it for both savings and business banking. I also get great service from the branch (who by the way who use Geo numbers). I needed to find out which overseas customer had made a CHAPs payment to me. I have to do this a lot as it doesn't show on the statement. They phone head office and phone me back with the answer. I said let me save you from doing this, give me the number and I'll cut you out of the loop. It was an 0845 number. I explained my position on 0845 numbers (I know I can get a geo number, but that isn't the point). So they went away to get the details. A few minutes later they called back and said

"My branch manager has asked mew to let you know that an 0845 number is the cost of a local call"

Poor chap was on the phone for the next 15 minutes as I gave him the long and short of it.

The message is just never going to get thru' is it. National Rate and Local Rate are ingrained.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: Nationwide sigh!
Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 7:16pm

Keith wrote on Nov 23rd, 2006 at 5:17pm:
"My branch manager has asked mew to let you know that an 0845 number is the cost of a local call"

Poor chap was on the phone for the next 15 minutes as I gave him the long and short of it.

The message is just never going to get thru' is it. National Rate and Local Rate are ingrained.

You need to write to the Chairman and CEO of Nationwide on this issue as they both make a big point in their Annual Report of how they personally like to read correspondence they receive from their customers.  The key thing to ask on their 0845 call centre numbers is how rapidly they are planning to replace them with 03 numbers which will be part of inclusive call packages and not charged at Premium Rate from Payphones.

This will head off the argument that they have to use 0845 numbers for their large multi centre centre call units for routing etc.

See www.nationwide.co.uk/about_nationwide/corporate_governance/management.htm

I imagine jonathan.agnew@nationwide.co.uk, philip.williamson@nationwide.co.uk, bernard.simpson@nationwide.co.uk and stuart.bernau@nationwide.co.uk would be the relevant people to email.  You might particularly like to ask Communications Director Mr Bernau to communicate to staff that 0845 is not Local Rate.

Presumably if Nationwide really thought 0845 was National Rate they wouldn't be so keen on keeping their geographic phone numbers for their branches. Wink Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2009 at 10:25pm by Dave »  

<div style=

IP Logged

AJR

Re: Nationwide sigh!
Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 11:28pm

It's a pity that the otherwise excellent Finarea doesn't know either.

See 18185 and 1899 and 18866.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Nationwide BS
Reply #6 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 10:54am

I really did not know where to post this & it is not much to do with telephone numbers but it does follow up on previous threads including comments on Nationwide & good news is surely always welcome.

On Monday, my student son lost his wallet containing, among other things, his Nationwide card.  After fruitless searching & reporting it to the police, in late afternoon he rang Nationwide (using the geo no without any problems) to report it & order a replacement which he was told would take a few days.  At this time of year we expected more like a couple of weeks.  I was amazed when, in this morning's post (Thursday), his replacement card arrived!

Does this prove, as many here must feel, that companies which use or include geo nos are also more customer focussed in all ways?  Certainly the case with Nationwide!

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Re: Nationwide BS
Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 11:09am

Swings and roundabouts.

Didn't Nationwide totally ignore the last 0.25% base rate rise and leave all their interest rates where they were?

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #8 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 2:38pm

Heinz wrote on Dec 21st, 2006 at 11:09am:
Didn't Nationwide totally ignore the last 0.25% base rate rise and leave all their interest rates where they were?

It was the increase before that they ignored but then so did loads of others including now highly uncompetitive Dutch bicyclists and life-belt throwing boys ING Direct.

After the last base rate rise Nationwide increased the rate of interest on their Esavings account by a full 0.25%.

I have just opened an account with the nice Icelandic people at www.icesave.co.uk who unlike ICICI seem to be a highly reputable outfit fully signed up the banking code and yet are promising to pay way over base rate until 2010 or something and currently pay 5.45% with no penalties or strings.

Nationwide sending out a new card in only one day is entirely typical of the generally good service of a body owned by the building society' members.  It is therefore they who come first rather than the shareholders. Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2009 at 10:28pm by Dave »  

<div style=

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 6:23pm

when contacting Icesave remember to use their geog. number, which they released with great reluctance, and which is now on the database: 0191 255 8377

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #10 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 6:59pm

lompos wrote on Dec 21st, 2006 at 6:23pm:
when contacting Icesave remember to use their geog. number, which they released with great reluctance, and which is now on the database: 0191 255 8377

How do you know it was with great reluctance lompos.  Were you the person who extracted the number from them then? Wink

At least they did provide it in the end and I'm fully hoping that I will only ever need to deal with them online.  Certainly they seem to have shown a great deal of action on my account opening since I applied at the weekend and despite the Christmas post I have received two letters with direct debit mandate confirmations and an account welcome pack too.  My main intention was really to replace ING Direct with them because its clear ING have no intention of ever offering a decent rate of interest again.

Icesave's parent bank now own some extremely crusty and traditional Blue Blood UK private banks which certainly gives one a good feeling about them, even though Iceland is only a member of the European Economic Area and not of of the full EU.

With ICICI they may have joined the Investors Compensation Scheme but they haven't signed up to the Banking Code and if their UK subsidiary went bust you could still lose up to £3,000 or 10% of your money which would rather negate the benefit of getting 0.5% more interest.  Also I know its probably wrong of me but I felt comfortable giving various ID details from my Passport and Driving License as online ID decks without the need for any paper ID sending to IceSave but I really wouldn't have felt comfortable about that with ICICI, especially after the recent Channel 4 Dispatches program with horrendous revelations about sale of confidential personal data by certain staff in Indian call centres.

I'm still annoyed I failed to apply in time for the GE Money Everyday Credit Card that gave 3% Cashback on groceries and petrol (although in fact seems to give 3% Cashback on everything according to the MoneySavingExpert discussion forums due to an admin cockup on their computer system).  They have now pulled the card though and I expect its only a matter of time tlll they cut the 3% cashback to the 1% (or perhaps less) that my Conran Visa card has been paying for over 5 years..............
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2009 at 10:29pm by Dave »  

<div style=

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #11 - Dec 21st, 2006 at 8:53pm

Quote:
How do you know it was with great reluctance lompos.  Were you the person who extracted the number from them then?

yes, it took several emails back and forth over a period of about two weeks.  Wink

IP Logged

FLG

Well done NATIONWIDE
Reply #12 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 12:49pm

I have to say a big WELL DONE to NATIONWIDE BUILDING SOCIETY for its latest leaflet about it's telephone banking, they not only have advertised the 0845 number, but also have actually put an 01 number in there too with the explaination: use if you have a call package with inclusive minutes

This must be the first company I have seen with this.

OK they still have a lot of work to do with all the other 0845 number they have, but it's a start

IP Logged

acezing

Re: Well done NATIONWIDE
Reply #13 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 1:05pm

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Re: Well done NATIONWIDE
Reply #14 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 2:30pm

Ah this ties in nicely with my comments about them last week in being so efficient that they got my son's replacement for his lost debit card to him in only 3 working days, in the run up to Christmas.   I said they were good people and always very helpful on the telephone as well.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge