Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hospital Patient's Phone (Read 8,548 times)
robert5988

Hospital Patient's Phone
Sep 20th, 2004 at 2:26pm

My daughter was recently in hospital for a few days(in Manchester)

Like most hospitals, mobile phones are(understandably) banned - even though she was in a private room. However phones are provided for patient's use - 0900 No's at 60p/min. The instructions on how to use them cannot be bypassed( "if you know the ext No you may dial it etc") have to be listened to at the same rate.

IP Logged

Heinz
Ex Member

Re: Hospital Patient's Phone
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 4:07pm

Quote:
Like most hospitals, mobile phones are(understandably) banned - even though she was in a private room.  However phones are provided for patient's use - 0900 No's at 60p/min.
Unfortunately, many NHS hospitals have allowed private companies to install phones like this (I just hope they get a kickback and recycle that into patient care) and 60p/min. (or more) numbers are now beside many beds.

I don't agree with your 'understandably' comment in relation to cellphones though.  I find it amazing that cellphones are still banned when hospitals are frequently the site of aerial farms for the cellular companies, ambulance service and others.  They seem able to disregard the fact that base stations like that put out hundreds of watts, not the low power of a mobile.

Having recently had an operation which Bill Clinton copied 2 weeks later, I was astonished to discover when coming to in the Intensive Care Unit that, routinely, cordless telephones were in use there.  Indeed, although I was still connected to numerous monitoring machines, the sister brought a CT2 handset to me so I could speak to my wife when she called in [on 18866 to the private hospital's geographic '0207' number].

I later became aware that the Doctors and Consultants all carried cellular telephones and saw at least 2 answering calls.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2004 at 4:08pm by Heinz »  
After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015

IP Logged

robert5988

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 5:04pm

Heinz,
It isn't the RF output of phones that is the concern - although that is often quoted as the reason.

Most people cannot resist making and receiving calls in public transport, restaurants and yelling into their mobiles.

That sort of anti-social behaviour, at all hours, is the last thing you want in a hospital. 

IP Logged

Heinz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 6:12pm

Sorry, robert5988, I don't follow your logic there.

Whilst the need to shout to make sure others realise you are on the phone (and have the valuable opportunity of participating in HALF of the associated conversation) may be reduced by the mere fact that such hospital bedside phones are corded, surely their mere provision will similarly encourage the making and receiving of calls at all hours?

Or is the outrageous call cost supposed to suppress those urges?
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2004 at 6:14pm by Heinz »  
After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015

IP Logged

robert5988

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 7:23pm

The nurses unplug them at unsocial hours or if facility abused.

With corded phones it is also easy for other patients to snip the cord!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge