Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"FWD lets you make free calls over the Intern (Read 12,214 times)
robinp

Hampshire
"FWD lets you make free calls over the Intern
Sep 24th, 2004 at 9:40am

Hi Guys,  I just ran across this US site. Does any of you computor buffs know if this site could be of any use to us in the UK: FreeWorld Dialup (
FWD
). Maybe some of you are already familiar with this technology ???
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2004 at 1:31pm by DaveM »  

robinp

IP Logged

bgezine

Re: "FWD lets you make free calls over the In
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2004 at 1:47pm

There are about to be a few of these services becoming available in the UK in the near future.

They all seem to be as confusing as one another. I am signed up to be a reseller for one service which allows free calls between PCs that have downloaded the software, otherwise a prepaid account operates.

I have not started promoting it yet because I can not understand the terms and conditions, nor where my commission will come from if it is really so free.

I am very suspicious of software that has to be downloaded to give a free service - no one is that rich that they can give things away free.

IP Logged

robert5988

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2004 at 7:24pm

Skype is the one that appears to be in the lead at the moment. It works OK with Broadband at both ends - and you can call a telephone as well for a small fee.

I suspect the reason they are giving it away free at the moment is to establish a dominance in the worldwide market. Once they have that dominance - bingo!

I speak as someone who bought a Betamax VCR when there was a choice between 3 types.

IP Logged

Essex Guy

Brentwood
Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2004 at 8:17pm

Don't blame you for being sceptical about Skype, but I've been using various free PC to PC VOIP calling systems for 4 or 5 years.

I started off with Net2Phone; a US company that offered free PC to PC, as well as free calls to UK landlines and one other nominated country. (I chose Australia.)

These companies use the free PC to PC part to beta test the systems, but usually make no secret of their intention to charge for calls to 'normal' phones. It's most unlikely they will ever charge for PC to PC or their freesoftware.

The only other VOIP company I seem to recall that doesn't even offer UK residents a chance to pay for PC to land line calls is Buddy-Phone. They never offered anything but free PC to PC calls using free s/ware and it worked fine. I believe they have now changed their name to Nikotel, but I haven't used them for a long time.

Skype is about as good as it gets at the moment. There's no 'catch' if you just want to talk PC to PC and pay nothing. The calls worldwide and to UK landlines are cheap too.

VOIP has been in use by business for quite a while. (My Abbey Bank has Cisco IP phones on their desks and walls with lovely huge LCD screens.) I use a simple handset that just looks like any ordinary phone, but speakers and microphone works ok if you keep the two apart enough! (Feedback.)

I've just realised that FWD is what was started as the Jeff Pulver project. He was a bit of a VOIP pioneer.

Do a Google search for VOIP or IP phone/s and you'll probably find lots of companies to choose from.

Things seem to have moved on slowly but considerably since my first VOIP connection from my old 66Mhz 486 PC.

Essex Guy

IP Logged

telcoman

Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2004 at 10:22pm

FWD is OK for free calls (you can call US, UK, Dutch, and Japanese freephone numbers) but it doesn't give you the option of making other PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) calls.

Once you sign up with FWD, you can get a free US number, by signing up with ipkall. You'll have a number in Washington State +1 360 227 xxxx

Services like these are only just taking off in the UK. Gossiptel lets you receive numbers on an 0870 number (yuck) but will shortly be offering geographic numbers as well. That means if you live outside the UK you can receive calls on it for free (with 0870), or for a small monthly fee (geographic).

Im looking to be a reseller for a company like this, and provide an analogue telephone adapter, which means you don't need to have your computer on to make calls. The list of alternative numbers to 0870 ones is ideal, as I can program adapters to translate any 0870 or 0845 number back into the geographic one!
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2004 at 10:22pm by telcoman »  

IP Logged

AJR

Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 9:10am

Another VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) service that looks interesting is www.babble.net .

This is a UK based service and the major benefit is that calls to conventional fixed line phones in the UK, US, continental Europe, Australia and New Zealand are free.

I've tried calls to the UK and Switzerland and they worked well. I used my computer's speakers and a microphone but it would probably be better with a proper USB phone handset plugged into the computer's USB port.

Any other experiences of this service?

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 8:49pm

Gossiptel looks interesting as it's hardware-based, and plugs into an ethernet port. One of my reasons for recommending Skype is that they produce versions for other platforms (Linux in particular). I won't support a system that required using Windows (as BT's solution does, no doubt - correct me if I'm wrong). So software-independent VoIP is promising.

A few months ago, Ofcom announced that 054 would be the code for VoIP phones. How much would this cost? The only 05 numbers BT list prices for at the moment are 055, and those are 5p/min. I don't see why there needs to be a special number for VoIP. It's just a way for the phone companies to make money out of VoIP customers who aren't paying for calls.

As an aside, isn't it interesting that Gossiptel are able to offer geographical numbers for any part of the country? So much for those companies who claim they use 0870 because it allows them to base their operation in different parts of the country.

IP Logged

reggie

Reply #7 - Dec 11th, 2004 at 12:45pm

a question for AJR Does babble.net work with windows 98?

IP Logged

AJR

Reply #8 - Dec 11th, 2004 at 1:24pm

Re your question on whether Babble works on Windows 98:

Babble say they only support Windows 2000 and XP at the moment. So it looks as though it won't work on Windows 98.

They say they are working on Mac OS X, though I assume this means it won't work on earlier Mac versions. And at the moment they don't seem to have a Linux release, though you can register interest in the Linux version if you want to.

However, I'm using it on Windows XP and it seems to work pretty well.

IP Logged

dial0870

Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2005 at 9:00pm

Sipgate offer free calls VOIP to VOIP and charge 1.7 pence per minute to PSTN(normal phones). The big plus with Sipgate is you can get a UK regional number ie 0191, you can call it  from 18866 for 1 pence connection charge. I have written an introductory guide to VOIP at http://www.dial0870.co.uk
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2005 at 9:15pm by dial0870 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge